Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Billy G said recently
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

I'm in a really bad mood today," Gillispie said. "We've lost three games, but it doesn't mean that life has to stop. My job is to win games - not to win games, but to win every game. That's what I signed on for, and that's the way I want it to be."

"Is it always supposed to be easy? I'm not the kind of guy who likes to run from a fight. I like to find the fight and win the fight after I find it.

"Those tough times really define your legacy."

He also seems to appreciate the criticism he receives whenever Kentucky loses.

"I don't want to coach anywhere where they don't want you to win every single game," Gillispie said. "If you're playing for fifth place, don't bring me in.

"I'm coming for first place. I'm coming to cut down the nets. I'm coming to get the best recruits because that's how you win."

What is everyones thoughts? I think Billy G could get the job done when he has a group of "his" kids.

heres the link http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/251504/
No because the only players he has now that aren't really his, are Stevensen and Meeks. You can have all the talent in the world, but when they don't respect the coach and want to do what he says, they will never be successful. But i dont blame them because he seems to be an idiot
runninrebs21 Wrote:No because the only players he has now that aren't really his, are Stevensen and Meeks. You can have all the talent in the world, but when they don't respect the coach and want to do what he says, they will never be successful. But i dont blame them because he seems to be an idiot

Ramon Harris, Michael Porter, AJ Stewart, Jared Carter, are all Tubby's recruits..
Jared Carter never plays, Stewart never plays, Harris has been hurt half the year. I forgot about Porter being a tubby recruit though. He should just be cut from the team.
Get em BCG!
runninrebs21 Wrote:Jared Carter never plays, Stewart never plays, Harris has been hurt half the year. I forgot about Porter being a tubby recruit though. He should just be cut from the team.

Must we bring this up again?
He still has a lot of Tubby's ballplayers and he won't get his system in until at least by next season, but they do need some motivation because they have been underacheiving as of late.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Must we bring this up again?

:Thumbs:
WELL HERE IS MY TAKE ON THIS ISSUE!
Billy has a team that has more talent than any of the teams that Pitino ever had. I am serious when I say this. The team today has more talented kids than any team I have seen since Rupps era. The problem is getting the players in the correct position and also the necessary coaching psychology that gets the players motivated to their capabilities. Currently they are running on half speed when it comes to motivation and hussel.
If the disciplinary issues arent corrected the fans among others will demand somebody's head and it wont take long before we hear the cries...
Joeboss Wrote:WELL HERE IS MY TAKE ON THIS ISSUE!
Billy has a team that has more talent than any of the teams that Pitino ever had. I am serious when I say this. The team today has more talented kids than any team I have seen since Rupps era. The problem is getting the players in the correct position and also the necessary coaching psychology that gets the players motivated to their capabilities. Currently they are running on half speed when it comes to motivation and hussel.
If the disciplinary issues arent corrected the fans among others will demand somebody's head and it wont take long before we hear the cries...

What???? You are kidding right? Have you gone back to look at the rosters of the teams that Pitino had, or do you want someone to look it up for you???
:eek: Wha?
^ :thumpsup:

I've read a lot of ridiculous posts on here but this one tops them all. hahaha
Aristotle Wrote:I've read a lot of ridiculous posts on here but this one tops them all. hahaha

:Clap: Thanks for the laugh, Great post :thumpsup:
so what your saying is that this team could beat the 96 cats? haha that's the funniest thing i've read in a while.

The Roster
Ron Mercer---All-American [Consensus (1st), AP (1st), Sporting News (2nd), NABC (1st), USBW (1st), Basketball Times (2nd), Wooden (1st)]; All-NCAA Final Four Team; NCAA Regional Most Outstanding Player; SEC Player of the Year; First Team All-SEC (AP & Coaches) ; SEC Tournament MVP;
Derek Anderson---Second Team All-SEC (Coaches) Third Team All-SEC (AP); (Missed last half of season due to knee);
Scott Padgett---All-NCAA Final Four Team; (Missed first half of season due to academic probation);
Anthony Epps--- Third Team All-SEC (Coaches); All-SEC Tournament;
Allen Edwards---(Sprained ankle near end of season);
Nazr Mohammed---
Jared Prickett---All-SEC Tournament;
Wayne Turner---All- NCAA Regional Team;
Cameron Mills---
Jamal Magloire---All-SEC Freshman Team;
Steve Masiello---
Oliver Simmons---(Broke leg);
Jeff Sheppard---(Did not play - redshirt);
Heshimu Evans---Did not play - transfer from Manhattan College);

Ron Mercer---Drafted #6 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1997 NBA Draft by Boston...played in NBA for 12 years and scored 5,892 pts.
Derek Anderson---Drafted #13 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1997 NBA Draft by Cleveland played NBA for 11 years
Scott Padgett---Drafted #28 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1999 NBA Draft by Utah played in NBA for 7 years and scored 1,874 pts.
Nazr Mohammed---Drafted #29 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1998 NBA Draft by Utah 10 years in NBA...currently plays for Charlotte Bobcats. has scored 4,315 pts. thus far.
Jamal Magloire---Drafted #19 Overall in the 1st Round of the 2000 NBA Draft by Charlotte 8 years in NBA currently plays for Miami Heat scored 4,678 thus far and was a NBA All-Star 1 time
Wayne Turner---Played in the NBA for 4 years. scoring 1170 pts
Jeff Sheppard---Played NBA for 5 years scoring 1091 pts.

info from http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statist...96-97.html
Raider_Nation09 Wrote:so what your saying is that this team could beat the 96 cats? haha that's the funniest thing i've read in a while.

The Roster
Ron Mercer---All-American [Consensus (1st), AP (1st), Sporting News (2nd), NABC (1st), USBW (1st), Basketball Times (2nd), Wooden (1st)]; All-NCAA Final Four Team; NCAA Regional Most Outstanding Player; SEC Player of the Year; First Team All-SEC (AP & Coaches) ; SEC Tournament MVP;
Derek Anderson---Second Team All-SEC (Coaches) Third Team All-SEC (AP); (Missed last half of season due to knee);
Scott Padgett---All-NCAA Final Four Team; (Missed first half of season due to academic probation);
Nazr Mohammed---
Cameron Mills---
Steve Masiello---

Ron Mercer---Drafted #6 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1997 NBA Draft by Boston...played in NBA for 12 years and scored 5,892 pts.
Derek Anderson---Drafted #13 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1997 NBA Draft by Cleveland played NBA for 11 years
Scott Padgett---Drafted #28 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1999 NBA Draft by Utah played in NBA for 7 years and scored 1,874 pts.
Nazr Mohammed---Drafted #29 Overall in the 1st Round of the 1998 NBA Draft by Utah 10 years in NBA...currently plays for Charlotte Bobcats. has scored 4,315 pts. thus far.
Jamal Magloire---Drafted #19 Overall in the 1st Round of the 2000 NBA Draft by Charlotte 8 years in NBA currently plays for Miami Heat scored 4,678 thus far and was a NBA All-Star 1 time

:Thumbs:
Raider_Nation09 Wrote:so what your saying is that this team could beat the 96 cats? haha that's the funniest thing i've read in a while.

The Roster
Nazr Mohammed---
Cameron Mills---
Steve Masiello---

lol your bring up the 96' cats, then show the roster for the 97' team. The 96' team was the better team.
i guess this guy really thinks porter is a all amercan PG and most of the bench are also. LOL!!! i love seeing posts like that its cracks me up. joeboss 96-98 teams was some of the best teams ever assembled in college basketball HISTORY!!!!!! thanx for the input raider

:Clap:
runninrebs21 Wrote:No because the only players he has now that aren't really his, are Stevensen and Meeks. You can have all the talent in the world, but when they don't respect the coach and want to do what he says, they will never be successful. But i dont blame them because he seems to be an idiot

you have no idea wat your talkin about
It doesnt matter what he says and it doesnt matter who "his" players are, he still doesnt know what he is doing. I pray for the day he is run out of ky and hopefully for any other teams sake, I hope he is run out of basketball. How can anyone look at this guy and the way he coaches and thinks and think that he knows what he is doing? Anyone that does is as dumb as he is.
sorry sportsfan but whenever you've turn around programs like utep and texas a&m i guess you can say that he dont know what he's doing. i actually hope he stays at UK for a while personally. but if he don't know what he is doing then tell how you know this? just wondering cause you must be a premier coach to say he's basically an idiot

You sir have bumped your head..... Rolleyes

You have got to give BCG a few years to get his players in... We will be just fine....
TATE_64 Wrote:You sir have bumped your head..... Rolleyes

You have got to give BCG a few years to get his players in... We will be just fine....

Absolutely correct!
mrfootball03 Wrote:lol your bring up the 96' cats, then show the roster for the 97' team. The 96' team was the better team.

well they still almost won the national title i typed in 1996 kentucky wildcats and thats what it give me. sorry about that
If Anderson would've played that game against Arizona we would have won it in '97. I agree though, that '96 might be the best team ever assembled at UK.
IRISH4 Wrote:If Anderson would've played that game against Arizona we would have won it in '97. I agree though, that '96 might be the best team ever assembled at UK.

That '96 UK team was one of the best college teams ever to take the floor.
IRISH4 Wrote:If Anderson would've played that game against Arizona we would have won it in '97. I agree though, that '96 might be the best team ever assembled at UK.

I agree with all that you said, good post
Not only was the 1996 team one of the best (maybe THE BEST) team at UK, but it's easily one of the top 2-3 ALL-TIME in the NCAA!!! That team was unbelievable to watch.

But as for Gillispie...I will say that I don't agree with everything he does. Some of his tactics and some of the decisions he makes makes me scratch my head, but he got hired to coach the greatest men's basketball program for a reason. He's only in his 2nd year! Give the man a break! If his teams are still "mediocre" in 3-4 years, then sure, go ahead and start calling for his head. But to judge a coach by his record through one a half years on the job is completely unfair!!!!
Daniel Orton
Pattrick Patterson
Darius Miller
Jodie Meeks
Deandre Liggins
John Hood
all top 50 players
Pages: 1 2