Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: God's Existence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I really don't know, my friend. I guess when someone says a post is inappropriate, then they have nothing else left to say. :biggrin:

:Thumbs:
What are you guys arguing about now? Have you gotten off of topic?
I think they are winning there argument that what we do here isn't gossip. Back to the topic, I feel that God knows each individual heart and knows what are true intentions are.
I doubt very seriously, that there is a God. Too many things don't add up and I just believe that religion is completely fabricated, to control the masses.
Stardust my friend, I didn't want to put the whole post about your saying that the 7 days were literal so you know what I am referring to. Someone also posted that a thousand years is like one day to God, you said don't you think that he could do it in 7 literal days if he wanted to? I say yes he could, the answer is, nobody knows how long his days are because at Genesis 2:17, the bible says God said this to Adam, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not not eat of it; for in the day that thou eatest therof thou shalt surely die.
So we both know that when Adam and Eve ate of the fruit that they did not die in a time period of 24 hours, because they went on to have children and be in the hundreds in their ages. So is it possible that 1000 years could be as 1 day to God. but yet still, we don't know how many literal years he spent creating the earth? It could have been anywhere from 7 to 7,000. Just wanted your opinion my friend, you seem knowledgeable?
All I know is I was a good kid when I met Jesus and there was a change in me, i will never forget. I knew that without him i'd die and go to ****. He is my strengh and my constant companion. My life is not perfect because I'm still in the flesh.
In Job 14:1 it says" Man that is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
2: He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.
Heb 9:27 says,"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.
I'm glad i found him 28 yrs. ago and along the way I've never heard anyone say they were ever sorry for serving him.
God Bless you everyone.
There are many literal versus that correlates to day and night equaling one day, but I'll refer directly to what God told me in the first five versus of the Bible:

1 First God made heaven & earth 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. 3 And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
There are many that prescribe to this notion that 1 day equals 1000 years. Though the Bible infers to the number of years Jesus was on earth, it is generally thought that Jesus was 32-33 years old. Was he really 32,000 years old?
What would happen if we get down on our knees and pray to God in this way:

Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet tonight. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.
We pray sincerely, knowing that when God answers this completely heartfelt, unselfish, non-materialistic prayer, it will glorify God and help millions of people in remarkable ways.
Will anything happen? No. Of course not.

This is very odd. Jesus makes specific promises in the Bible about how prayer is supposed to work. Jesus says in many different places that he and God will answer your prayers. And Christians believe Jesus -- according to this recent article, "54% of American adults believe the Bible is literally true." In some areas of the country the number goes as high as 75%.

If the Bible is literally true, then something is seriously amiss. Simply look at the facts. In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says:

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
If "every one who asks receives", then if we ask for cancer to be cured, it should be cured. Right? If "our Father who is in heaven gives good things to those who ask him", then if we ask him to cure cancer, he should cure it. Right? And yet nothing happens.
In Matthew 17:20 Jesus says:

For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
If "nothing will be impossible to you", then if we ask to cure cancer tonight, cancer should disappear. Right? Yet nothing happens. Note that if we take the Bible less-than-literally here, the statement "nothing will be impossible to you" becomes "lots of things will be impossible to you," and that would mean that Jesus is lying.
In Matthew 21:21:

I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
If "you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer", then if we ask to cure cancer tonight, cancer should dissappear. Right? Yet nothing happens. Note again that there is not a non-literal way to interpret "you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer", unless you replace "whatever" with "nothing" or "little."
The message is reiterated Mark 11:24:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
If God says, "believe that you have received it, and it will be yours," and if we believe in God and his power, then what should happen if we pray to cure cancer tonight? It should be cured. Either that, or God is lying.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:What would happen if we get down on our knees and pray to God in this way:

Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet tonight. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.
We pray sincerely, knowing that when God answers this completely heartfelt, unselfish, non-materialistic prayer, it will glorify God and help millions of people in remarkable ways.
Will anything happen? No. Of course not.

This is very odd. Jesus makes specific promises in the Bible about how prayer is supposed to work. Jesus says in many different places that he and God will answer your prayers. And Christians believe Jesus -- according to this recent article, "54% of American adults believe the Bible is literally true." In some areas of the country the number goes as high as 75%.

If the Bible is literally true, then something is seriously amiss. Simply look at the facts. In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says:

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
If "every one who asks receives", then if we ask for cancer to be cured, it should be cured. Right? If "our Father who is in heaven gives good things to those who ask him", then if we ask him to cure cancer, he should cure it. Right? And yet nothing happens.
In Matthew 17:20 Jesus says:

For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
If "nothing will be impossible to you", then if we ask to cure cancer tonight, cancer should disappear. Right? Yet nothing happens. Note that if we take the Bible less-than-literally here, the statement "nothing will be impossible to you" becomes "lots of things will be impossible to you," and that would mean that Jesus is lying.
In Matthew 21:21:

I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
If "you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer", then if we ask to cure cancer tonight, cancer should dissappear. Right? Yet nothing happens. Note again that there is not a non-literal way to interpret "you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer", unless you replace "whatever" with "nothing" or "little."
The message is reiterated Mark 11:24:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
If God says, "believe that you have received it, and it will be yours," and if we believe in God and his power, then what should happen if we pray to cure cancer tonight? It should be cured. Either that, or God is lying.

I completely disagree with this line of thinking - First and foremost, the Bible says if you have the faith of a Mustard Seed, which is not much, nothing shall be impossible to you. I dare say that if you have faith, you shall receive, if you have a hint of doubt, then you are showing less than that mustard seeds worth of faith......
Stardust Wrote:There are many that prescribe to this notion that 1 day equals 1000 years. Though the Bible infers to the number of years Jesus was on earth, it is generally thought that Jesus was 32-33 years old. Was he really 32,000 years old?

I think when it talks about 1 day is as a 1000 days it's talking about Heaven. What do you think about it SD???
bigjim4packers Wrote:I think when it talks about 1 day is as a 1000 days it's talking about Heaven. What do you think about it SD???

Again, when I look at the first five verses of the Bible, I get a pretty clear picture of what God meant by the calculation of a day. Were a 1,000 years comes is is that there is no reference to heaven having a day and night, so that could be inferred, but there is nothing in the Bible that would support that unequivocally.

Great discussion:worthy:
Stardust Wrote:Again, when I look at the first five verses of the Bible, I get a pretty clear picture of what God meant by the calculation of a day. Were a 1,000 years comes is is that there is no reference to heaven having a day and night, so that could be inferred, but there is nothing in the Bible that would support that unequivocally.

Great discussion:worthy:

I think we're on the same page just different sides of the book. I believe it took God 6 days to create the heavens and earth, fowls in the air, fish in the sea,etc. I think others on this site were confusing this with the verse in
2 Peter ch 3:8 But beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is
with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
Meaning time is endless in heaven.
Here on earth 6 days is 6 days. good post:notworthy
I don't get how people believe in the Adam and Eve story, even when I was Christian, it was always a nice story but as truth? Pretty firm believer in Evolution.
RF81 Wrote:I don't get how people believe in the Adam and Eve story, even when I was Christian, it was always a nice story but as truth? Pretty firm believer in Evolution.

I believe in evolution myself, but not to the extent that you are talking about.

Care to explain yourself a little more?
bigjim4packers Wrote:I think we're on the same page just different sides of the book. I believe it took God 6 days to create the heavens and earth, fowls in the air, fish in the sea,etc. I think others on this site were confusing this with the verse in
2 Peter ch 3:8 But beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is
with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
Meaning time is endless in heaven.
Here on earth 6 days is 6 days. good post:notworthy
How do you explain the 35 thousand year old flute? I guess "it goes against the Bible, so it can't be true"?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/2...3027.shtml

And if dinosaurs walked with man, where are they in the Bible? Science has proved stuff found on the Earth is over "6000 years old".
The one thing science can't prove, as much as some wish it could, is that there is no God.
jetpilot Wrote:The one thing science can't prove, as much as some wish it could, is that there is no God.
Or that there is one. Whether I believe or not, there is no proof that there is one. Other than telling me I have to take it on faith, a Christian cannot talk someone into believing and provide solid evidence.

BTW, I am a Christian, but facts are facts. We can't prove anything.
jetpilot Wrote:The one thing science can't prove, as much as some wish it could, is that there is no God.

And the one thing any religion can't prove, is that there is a God. There is no 100% with anything, it's something that can never be proven, but there's a lot of evidence that says there is no God.
RF81 Wrote:And the one thing any religion can't prove, is that there is a God. There is no 100% with anything, it's something that can never be proven, but there's a lot of evidence that says there is no God.

Like what?

There are plenty of theories that say there is no God, but no evidence.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Like what?

There are plenty of theories that say there is no God, but no evidence.

Evolution has plenty of evidence. Theories are accepted as fact, until proven otherwise, not the other way around.

Creationism - no evidence, plenty against.

The flood - no evidence, plenty against.

Jesus God's son - no evidence, plenty against.

etc. etc.

Christianity isn't that old, compared to how long we've actually been here. So what were people believing in before it? Christianity has no logical answer, that's why its believed by a lot the earth/humans hasn't been around that long...of course we know that's not true. What about Jesus's bio? It had been passed around for thousands of years before he was ever supposedly here.
RF81 Wrote:Evolution has plenty of evidence. Theories are accepted as fact, until proven otherwise, not the other way around.

Creationism - no evidence, plenty against.

The flood - no evidence, plenty against.

Jesus God's son - no evidence, plenty against.

etc. etc.

Christianity isn't that old, compared to how long we've actually been here. So what were people believing in before it? Christianity has no logical answer, that's why its believed by a lot the earth/humans hasn't been around that long...of course we know that's not true. What about Jesus's bio? It had been passed around for thousands of years before he was ever supposedly here.

You are taking about there being no evidence of God, Jesus being God's son, etc. I never said there was any physical proof of that, because there is not. That is based on faith.

I, along with jetpilot have said there is no evidence saying there is no God. There are plenty of theories (which are nothing other than ideas) that say God doesn't exist. So, yes I am saying that you are wrong about your statement.
TheRealVille Wrote:Or that there is one. Whether I believe or not, there is no proof that there is one. Other than telling me I have to take it on faith, a Christian cannot talk someone into believing and provide solid evidence.

BTW, I am a Christian, but facts are facts. We can't prove anything.

It talks of great beasts, which could mean anything. But, if we are going to talk about what's not in the bible, then where are sharks, turtles and lightning bugs. I guess the Bible does not cover them all, but I know they exist.

As for proving anything, you are right, it's what the Bible is for, a story of faith. Nor can the Evolutionists prove we came from a combustion in the sky, it's all thoery, which must be taken on faith, not fact.
WDCB: What Dominate Culture Believes
WMCP: What Media Conglomorates Proliferate
WHPP: What Hollywood Packages and Presents
WDCP: What Dominant Church Propogates
WACB: What American Christians Believe
WJAT: What Jesus Actually Taught

Read Sermon on Mount and think for yourself.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:You are taking about there being no evidence of God, Jesus being God's son, etc. I never said there was any physical proof of that, because there is not. That is based on faith.

I, along with jetpilot have said there is no evidence saying there is no God. There are plenty of theories (which are nothing other than ideas) that say God doesn't exist. So, yes I am saying that you are wrong about your statement.

That's all there is to prove wrong, there's no physical proof of God to debunk, so what God supposedly said/did is what's left ...i.e. those things I mentioned.

That's the most common misconception about a scientific theory, that it's just an "idea" and "faith" based like religion...couldn't be farther from the truth.

A scientific theory stands until proven wrong -- it is never proven correct. The Darwinian theory of evolution has withstood the test of time and thousands of scientific experiments, nothing has disproved it since Darwin first proposed it more than 150 years ago. If anyone thinks a theory is just a belief, go step off a cliff and tell us that about The Theory of Relativity when gravity proves itself.

Can I say 100% that there is no God? No, I can't....but I've heard countless people say that they are "absolutely sure" that there is a God. I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic btw. I believe that it's impossible to know whether there is a God or not, but I also believe that the facts far outweigh any "proof" that there is a God.
^ The problem with your post is you state my point for me. Point being Christianity as a religion, hasn't been proven wrong either. It cannot be and will not be. Although at the same time the theories against Christianity will not be proven wrong either, since there is no physical evidence of God.

Basically, there will never be any evidence disproving God and there will never be any physical evidence showing the proof of God.
I never said it had been proven completely false, but there is massive evidence against it and other religions. I just can't see how anyone can devote their life to something, that's not backed up by anything or that they know is there without a doubt.
RF81 Wrote:I never said it had been proven completely false, but there is massive evidence against it and other religions. I just can't see how anyone can devote their life to something, that's not backed up by anything or that they know is there without a doubt.

Faith is what religions are based on, especially Christianity.

I am a Christian and I will not tell you you're wrong or ignorant for thinking that way. I can absolutely see why an individual would feel that way about Christianity or any other religion for that matter.

I will say this though. I love the Lord and all He has done for my family and me. He has helped me through obstacles in my life, forgave me of my sins, been there when I felt like I had no one in this world that loved me, been my teacher, been my guide, been my comforter, and everything else He said He would do in his Word. I don't know how you or anyone else feel about it and I really don't care. Like I said though, I will not look down on a person for being an nonbeliever. I know what I have experienced and I know that the Lord saved me at the age of 9 and have never lost that faith in God.

Sorry to go off on everyone with my testimony. :biggrin:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Faith is what religions are based on, especially Christianity.

I am a Christian and I will not tell you you're wrong or ignorant for thinking that way. I can absolutely see why an individual would feel that way about Christianity or any other religion for that matter.

I will say this though. I love the Lord and all He has done for my family and me. He has helped me through obstacles in my life, forgave me of my sins, been there when I felt like I had no one in this world that loved me, been my teacher, been my guide, been my comforter, and everything else He said He would do in his Word. I don't know how you or anyone else feel about it and I really don't care. Like I said though, I will not look down on a person for being an nonbeliever. I know what I have experienced and I know that the Lord saved me at the age of 9 and have never lost that faith in God.

Sorry to go off on everyone with my testimony. :biggrin:

good enough for me :Thumbs:
RF81 Wrote:I never said it had been proven completely false, but there is massive evidence against it and other religions. I just can't see how anyone can devote their life to something, that's not backed up by anything or that they know is there without a doubt.

Then you have never had a spiritual or other worldly experience, and that's OK. I'll take my God, my faith, and my fate in complete confidence. I'd much rather live a life of hope than one of dispair.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18