Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley or Elliott County?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thought this thread would bring in some great discussion.

I'll post my opinion later, because now I'm heading to Ashland.
This thread will be crazy, and to be honest will be monitored closely.

I don't argue with results though, and all I know is that Shelby Valley put it all over Elliot County the other day until the final 3 minutes.

Shelby Valley's defense is what makes them so great, and to be honest Elliot can score points but their defense is suspect in my opinion.

Elliot has some great wins on the season including over South Charleston and one of the top ranked teams from South Carolina. They beat a pretty good Anderson County team as well. So I'm not going to say they aren't a great team because they are, but they are more beatable than Shelby Valley in my opinion.

Shelby Valley has more depth, overall size, and quickness. Elliot has better shooters, and in my opinion that is where the advantages end for Elliot.

Shelby Valley had some losses early in the season in which Elisha Justice was out or recovering from injury. They have some quality wins in state over Henry Clay, Henry County, Bardstown, and obviously Elliot County now.

I think until they play again or either team loses, that Shelby Valley is the better team, and the proof is the game from the "All A". 55-52.
I still give the overall edge to Elliott Co. Two years ago it was EC over Valley in the sweet 16. It has been only a little over 48 hours that SV wins over EC. Elliott wins the next matchup easy if they can have time to get their legs back and the refs calls a closer game, and Valley misses their free throws and stops playing their defense.
alfus21 Wrote:This thread will be crazy, and to be honest will be monitored closely.

I don't argue with results though, and all I know is that Shelby Valley put it all over Elliot County the other day until the final 3 minutes.

Shelby Valley's defense is what makes them so great, and to be honest Elliot can score points but their defense is suspect in my opinion.

Elliot has some great wins on the season including over South Charleston and one of the top ranked teams from South Carolina. They beat a pretty good Anderson County team as well. So I'm not going to say they aren't a great team because they are, but they are more beatable than Shelby Valley in my opinion.

Shelby Valley has more depth, overall size, and quickness. Elliot has better shooters, and in my opinion that is where the advantages end for Elliot.

Shelby Valley had some losses early in the season in which Elisha Justice was out or recovering from injury. They have some quality wins in state over Henry Clay, Henry County, Bardstown, and obviously Elliot County now.

I think until they play again or either team loses, that Shelby Valley is the better team, and the proof is the game from the "All A". 55-52.

I agree. Shelby Valley is the better team as of right now and will be until proven otherwise.
Valley, they proved it Sunday.
If Shelby Valley hits 75% percent of their free throws they would have kept the 15 point margin. Either way a win is a win and honestly Shelby Valley dominated for 29 minutes of that game. To an outsider who had no former opinion of either team I am sure that SV looked like the superior team all around. So based on that I think that SV is the better team. Defense wins championships, we are living proof of that now.
From the video "Basketballonlyfan" put on youtube from the SV EC game, Valley's gaurds were just too much for EC to handle. People said that EC was faster than SV, but from what I saw SV was the quicker team.
Since the Shelby win was on a neutral court, I'd have to go with EC. but IMO, if they play 10 times, they split 5-5.

If there was two more minutes in that game, I believe EC pulls out Sunday's game.
Elliott.
IMO, if SV and EC play again in Rupp, it would be a very close game only if EC was shooting the ball really well. I don't think they match up well at the guard spots, in size or defensive ability. That said, if EC expects to win that game they must make the majority of their shots or I see SV playing Holmes or Scott County on Saturday morning.
Stardust Wrote:Since the Shelby win was on a neutral court, I'd have to go with EC. but IMO, if they play 10 times, they split 5-5.

If there was two more minutes in that game, I believe EC pulls out Sunday's game.

If the game was 3 minutes shorter Elliott loses by 15.
alfus21 Wrote:This thread will be crazy, and to be honest will be monitored closely.

Great Post! I completely agree. Valley was in the same situation as Elliott. Valley just had the better defense and it had Elliott shell shocked. I do agree that if they were to play 10 times it would be 5-5.
I guess EC isn't allowed to have a down day. SV is definitely the better team, just because of this game. SV wins and their fans still cry. The fans are the reason nobody likes SV.

Hint: Win with grace.
TheRealVille Wrote:I guess EC isn't allowed to have a down day. SV is definitely the better team, just because of this game. SV wins and their fans still cry. The fans are the reason nobody likes SV.

I haven't heard the first person cry about beating EC, sorry.Smile
TheRealVille Wrote:I guess EC isn't allowed to have a down day. SV is definitely the better team, just because of this game. SV wins and their fans still cry. The fans are the reason nobody likes SV.

Other than one or two fans, most Shelby Valley fans have been pretty rational and are very level headed when discussing basketball.
alfus21 Wrote:Other than one or two fans, most Shelby Valley fans have been pretty rational and are very level headed when discussing basketball.
Those one or two seem to ruin any thread on BGR.

It is simply my opinion that SV is better than Elliott. I don't know if you were directing that post at me or not. Going into this game I felt like Elliott was the better team. After the game I don't think that Elliott can match up with SV. Speed kills. I certainly don't think that Elliott played their absolute best, but neither did Valley. 11 straight free throws. All we have to draw conclusions from is one game. SV won that game and should have won it going away. Therefore I think its easier to argue that SV is better than Elliott than it is to argue the opposite.
But, I do agree that a few of our fans are a little overzealous...
TheRealVille Wrote:Those one or two seem to ruin any thread on BGR.

You don't exactly show the love in any Valley thread my friend.
InstantOffense Wrote:It is simply my opinion that SV is better than Elliott. I don't know if you were directing that post at me or not. Going into this game I felt like Elliott was the better team. After the game I don't think that Elliott can match up with SV. Speed kills. I certainly don't think that Elliott played their absolute best, but neither did Valley. 11 straight free throws. All we have to draw conclusions from is one game. SV won that game and should have won it going away. Therefore I think its easier to argue that SV is better than Elliott than it is to argue the opposite.
I too, went in thinking EC was the better team. I'm not so sure now. I think SV is too fast for them and too much D for them. Like I said somewhere on here, I went in thinking EC would win 7-10, I don't think that now. I think closer to 5-5 or even 6-4 SV, but I do get pretty tired of a couple of the SV fans on this board though. Just because of a few fans is exactly why a lot of people root against SV, even in the 15th.
TheRealVille Wrote:I too, went in thinking EC was the better team. I'm not so sure now. I think SV is too fast for them and too much D for them. Like I said somewhere on here, I went in thinking EC would win 7-10, I don't think that now. I think closer to 5-5 or even 6-4 SV, but I do get pretty tired of a couple of the SV fans on this board though. Just because of a few fans is exactly why a lot of people root against SV, even in the 15th.

Shouldn't a true fan for any program defend their school against all others?Rolleyes
TheRealVille Wrote:I too, went in thinking EC was the better team. I'm not so sure now. I think SV is too fast for them and too much D for them. Like I said somewhere on here, I went in thinking EC would win 7-10, I don't think that now. I think closer to 5-5 or even 6-4 SV, but I do get pretty tired of a couple of the SV fans on this board though. Just because of a few fans is exactly why a lot of people root against SV, even in the 15th.

I completely agree. I haven't been a member very long but I have been reading this site for a long time now and I have noticed a select few from SV that would fit that description.

As for who is better, I'm going to say that Elliott has a slight edge over Valley. I know SV beat EC on sunday, I was there. Fact is Elliott couldn't throw one in the ocean. I know some are going to say it was because of Shelby Valley's swarming defense, and in some cases it was; but Elliott missed ALOT of uncontested shots. Ferguson had a horrible day shooting behind the arc and inside. That's not going to happen very often.

We all know who you are talking about, haha

I'm a Shelby Valley fan and those one or two frustrate me also... Don't judge us all by our worst...
I would bet I am one of the people he is talking about. My first post on this game was post number 114, and guessing 10+ hours after the game. All I said in it is what I seen in the game. The EC fans still saying they have the better team even though in a game this season, not two seasona ago, that EC never had the lead in the game. Then the excuses started.....
SV won this title with a tournment system like the big dance so they have to be the best now. Both will have big bulls eyes on their backs so getting back to the big dance will not be automatic, they will have to earn it.

These are two fantasitic ball teams and should be proud. I still think an atheltic, fast team could give either of these teams problems at state in March.

I remember thinking the same thing about a few Paintsville fans last year. Two or three people who have no clue do not make an entire fan base. I'm sure when SVs talent level drops off after next season, you will hear less and less from their fans just like with Paintsville this season.

As for the thread question, I think the two teams are even. SV won on Sunday, but the result could be different if they meet again, or it could be the same. I think everyone knows now that SV is for real and can beat anyone on a given night.
InstantOffense Wrote:If the game was 3 minutes shorter Elliott loses by 15.

Excellent point :igiveup:

And you can guarantee that the fans and a lot of the parents are the reason a ton of people dislike Elliott Co.

Hint: Show some class and get off your high horse.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:From the video "Basketballonlyfan" put on youtube from the SV EC game, Valley's gaurds were just too much for EC to handle. People said that EC was faster than SV, but from what I saw SV was the quicker team.
Nice video.
Pages: 1 2