Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best high school coaching jobs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just wondering about this and thought that I would check out everyones opinion on what is the best coaching job to have in the state and especially in you region or area. This doesn't necessarily have to be the best teams/talent but what job if you were a coach and could pick would you want?
State- Scott County
15th Region- Paintsville or Shelby Valley
BlackcatAlum Wrote:State- Scott County
15th Region- Paintsville or Shelby Valley

i would agree.

16th has to be Ashland I know they are down and we are not playing in the 50's anymore, but Biggs isnt the best fit for them Flynn was
Until after next year, Valley is one of the hottest jobs in the state, Booher gets to have basically the same team next year too, all they're going to have to do is throw Tyler Newsome and Cody Varney in the starting lineup. That's a 5 Senior starting lineup, not many teams can start 5 Seniors.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Until after next year, Valley is one of the hottest jobs in the state, Booher gets to have basically the same team next year too, all they're going to have to do is throw Tyler Newsome and Cody Varney in the starting lineup. That's a 5 Senior starting lineup, not many teams can start 5 Seniors.

Booher will really get to show how good of a coach he is the season after those five seniors graduate. Breaking in five new starters, no more Elisha to rely on, that's where a coach really shows his chops. Hopefully he will use his bench liberally next year to get those guys ready to roll...
More Cowbell Wrote:Booher will really get to show how good of a coach he is the season after those five seniors graduate. Breaking in five new starters, no more Elisha to rely on, that's where a coach really shows his chops. Hopefully he will use his bench liberally next year to get those guys ready to roll...

Yes, he needs to get Elisha's younger cousin into the games a lot next year, he was a really good player in middle school. Valley will certainly drop off the radar after next year for a little while.
10th Region - Mason Co.
9th Region - Holmes, Covinton Catholic
Holmes and Franklin Co.
Some of the best HS coaching jobs in the state benefit directly from some of the best feeder systems in the state. For example, Shelby Valley has had prolonged success since becoming a school because of an excellent relationship between the feeder schools and high school.

I think many coaches miss that point and it contributes to the ups-and-downs that many programs suffer from year to year.
Well the top coaching jobs here in the mountains would be

1.Shelby Valley
2.South Laurel
3.Hazard
4.Perry Central
PC_You_Know Wrote:Yes, he needs to get Elisha's younger cousin into the games a lot next year, he was a really good player in middle school. Valley will certainly drop off the radar after next year for a little while.

Let's think about that a little, SV is going to be inheriting a potential 7 footer in 2 years to go along with what I see as a boat load of talent, now that talent is not all in one class but is spread out over several grades. I just don't see a big drop off, I think they will still be tops in the 15th region for along time.Smile
in 2 years shelby valley will be an average 15th region team, but not like they have been in the past years..............that thats how we will know if booher is a good coach, because every year he has been there his teams have been loaded, or had RODNEY ROWE'S team
Billy Hicks has built Scott County into the top coaching position in the state. When he arrived about 15 years ago it was a good position but far from the best. Some reasons it is now the best is.

1. A great booster club that raises lots of money. The whole athletic department at SC is funded through the Toyota Classic basketball tournament.
2. A great feeder system. Three middle schools play the same style of play as the high school. Great middle school coaches.
3. One of the top facilities in the state.
4. No school has more fan support.
5. Say what you want but kids want to play in this program. It is run very professional from 6th grade through high school.
king360 Wrote:Well the top coaching jobs here in the mountains would be

1.Shelby Valley
2.South Laurel
3.Hazard
4.Perry Central

This looks about right to me.
trufan Wrote:Let's think about that a little, SV is going to be inheriting a potential 7 footer in 2 years to go along with what I see as a boat load of talent, now that talent is not all in one class but is spread out over several grades. I just don't see a big drop off, I think they will still be tops in the 15th region for along time.Smile

I didn't say they'd be bad for years, I said a little while. I've never seen any teams offense in HS run through a 7 footer, so unless he can run point like Elisha, then like I said, they will see a drop off.
rojas Wrote:Billy Hicks has built Scott County into the top coaching position in the state. When he arrived about 15 years ago it was a good position but far from the best. Some reasons it is now the best is.

1. A great booster club that raises lots of money. The whole athletic department at SC is funded through the Toyota Classic basketball tournament.
2. A great feeder system. Three middle schools play the same style of play as the high school. Great middle school coaches.
5. Say what you want but kids want to play in this program. It is run very professional from 6th grade through high school.

So true.
rojas Wrote:Billy Hicks has built Scott County into the top coaching position in the state. When he arrived about 15 years ago it was a good position but far from the best. Some reasons it is now the best is.

Mason Co. plays 3rd grade up and every team is playing AAU on the weekends, even while they are playing middle school ball. Mason County concentrates on developing players and Coach O'hearn has a say who makes every team. Each grade level plays close to 100 games a year. This is how it is done, and I am sure Scott Co, LexCath, Holmes, and various other basketball schools do it the same way. It starts earlier than 6th grade is basically my point.Wink
sacbunt Wrote:Mason Co. plays 3rd grade up and every team is playing AAU on the weekends, even while they are playing middle school ball. Mason County concentrates on developing players and Coach O'hearn has a say who makes every team. Each grade level plays close to 100 games a year. This is how it is done, and I am sure Scott Co, LexCath, Holmes, and various other basketball schools do it the same way. It starts earlier than 6th grade is basically my point.Wink

Very true mine started playin at about 4
Hazard
In the state? Scott co
Eastern KY? SV probably the best. Perry, Hazard, SL, and Clay Co are good programs too.
sacbunt Wrote:Mason Co. plays 3rd grade up and every team is playing AAU on the weekends, even while they are playing middle school ball. Mason County concentrates on developing players and Coach O'hearn has a say who makes every team. Each grade level plays close to 100 games a year. This is how it is done, and I am sure Scott Co, LexCath, Holmes, and various other basketball schools do it the same way. It starts earlier than 6th grade is basically my point.Wink

Easier to do at schools who's enrollment is 1,200 -1,500 kids and has several feeder systems. Not so easy at 1A or 2A schools with 1 or 2 small feeder systems! Too many kids play other sports at smaller schools.
Shelby Valley is definitely at a disadvantage to the big schools, I heard Valley's enrollment fell under 600 this year. That's not good, they used to push 800.
In the Louisville Area....Male, Eastern, Ballard