Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can anyone stop Highlands from winning it all again?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I do not see anyone stepping up to take them down as fa as winning another state title goes.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I do not see anyone stepping up to take them down as fa as winning another state title goes.

Bryan Station was only 19 seconds away from knocking Highlands out of the first round of playoffs. Highlands played some very good teams in the playoffs this year.
tradition Wrote:Bryan Station was only 19 seconds away from knocking Highlands out of the first round of playoffs. Highlands played some very good teams in the playoffs this year.
Bryan Station is actually in Class 6A for 2009, so Highlands (and the rest of 5A) will not have to worry about BS this year.

I think it will be difficult for a 5A team to knock the Bluebirds out of the playoffs in 2009. I've heard that Johnson Central has some very good players coming back from last year's squad, so I would guess that JC poses the biggest challenge to HHS. Of course, HHS will have the opportunity to get home-field advantage for the playoffs.

Also, given HHS' 2009 schedule (no big-time Cincy schools, no Louisville Trinity or Louisville Saint X), Highlands stands a very good chance of going 15-0.

I've heard several people "in the know" in Fort Thomas say that 2009's team will probably be the best since 2000 (when D-I recruits Gino Guidugli, Grover, Hamblen and Scott were seniors), and could even be better than that squad.
I looked at their roster from last year, and I found they had about 15 seniors, which made about 21%-22% of their team. I think these seniors would include their starting quarterback, their all-state running back, and a good defensive tackle. I would guess someone would beat them next year seeing that Highland is loosing all of these players. Besides, the odds of this team winning state for a third time in a row is low.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:I looked at their roster from last year, and I found they had about 15 seniors, which made about 21%-22% of their team. I think these seniors would include their starting quarterback, their all-state running back, and a good defensive tackle. I would guess someone would beat them next year seeing that Highland is loosing all of these players. Besides, the odds of this team winning state for a third time in a row is low.
Their "all-state" RB broke his leg just before the start of the season and played a combined total of perhaps four games for the entire year (he never returned to 100%). The starting QB (Will Bardo) for this year is a faster runner than Tony Guidugli, and throws a very nice ball.

The team will have its most talented receiving corps ever, with returning starters Collinsworth, Buten (as wideouts) and Roller (as TE), plus a very talented player named Welz. The rushing duties will be handled by three guys (Fennell, Bankemper and Alford) who got significant playing time in 2008. The O-line returns three starters, which is a lot for Highlands standards. The offense may be the most potent Highlands has had in a long time.

The team will be better in 2009 than they were in 2008.
I don't see anybody beating Highlands next year they will repeat again.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:I looked at their roster from last year, and I found they had about 15 seniors, which made about 21%-22% of their team. I think these seniors would include their starting quarterback, their all-state running back, and a good defensive tackle. I would guess someone would beat them next year seeing that Highland is loosing all of these players. Besides, the odds of this team winning state for a third time in a row is low.

2009 will be another exciting year for Highlands. They lose alot with the loss of Dempsey, Guiduli, Laber, and Rosenhagen, however they also return a very talented Jr. class. Bardo will start at QB and could have started last year if Guiduili was not there. Collinsworth at receiver, running back, DB, whatever, he's a player and can do whatever is needed. Buten as receiver, Fennell at RB and defense. Roller at TE and LB (he is a beast , a complete athlete if I have ever seen one and I have seen plenty). Bankemper at LB and maybe some RB. Combs, Schlosser, Grubbs, Johnson, Dierig, Beck to name a few on Offense and defensive lines. All of names mentioned are seniors to be. There are plenty in the Jr. to be class that will also see time as starters. Hahn, Abner, Gold, Siedl, and Compton come to mind right off the bat.

Should be another exciting year. Again, I see this team as being well balanced. They will be able to pass and run the ball at will. Bardo is also a very good scrambling QB. I know Collinsworth and Roller have had their share of D1 looks but you can add Bardo in on that list. He is one heck of an athlete.
Tradition, where does Abner fit in the QB mix? I had also heard the Brendon Sullivan, as a Soph was getting some looks and had been contacted by a few schools.

IMO, HHS is still the team to beat in 5A. The BS game was a wake-up call for all at HHS that propelled them to "RUN" through the rest of the playoffs like a buzzsaw.
Stardust Wrote:Tradition, where does Abner fit in the QB mix? I had also heard the Brendon Sullivan, as a Soph was getting some looks and had been contacted by a few schools.

IMO, HHS is still the team to beat in 5A. The BS game was a wake-up call for all at HHS that propelled them to "RUN" through the rest of the playoffs like a buzzsaw.

You are right that is what the BS game did for Highlands. I don't see anyone in 5A beating the Bluebirds again next year.
jbwill2 Wrote:Bryan Station is actually in Class 6A for 2009, so Highlands (and the rest of 5A) will not have to worry about BS this year.

I think it will be difficult for a 5A team to knock the Bluebirds out of the playoffs in 2009. I've heard that Johnson Central has some very good players coming back from last year's squad, so I would guess that JC poses the biggest challenge to HHS. Of course, HHS will have the opportunity to get home-field advantage for the playoffs.

Also, given HHS' 2009 schedule (no big-time Cincy schools, no Louisville Trinity or Louisville Saint X), Highlands stands a very good chance of going 15-0.

I've heard several people "in the know" in Fort Thomas say that 2009's team will probably be the best since 2000 (when D-I recruits Gino Guidugli, Grover, Hamblen and Scott were seniors), and could even be better than that squad.

JC loses several great players, but should reload quick. JC will have 2/3 of the back field and line back. JC should be able to make a run deep in the playoffs again.
Hard to say at this point. I do know the Bluebirds will have a dominant passing game.
Nobody will touch Highlands this year!
Stardust Wrote:Tradition, where does Abner fit in the QB mix? I had also heard the Brendon Sullivan, as a Soph was getting some looks and had been contacted by a few schools.

If I can respond to the question posed to Tradition: if Abner even plays qb (I'm told he wants to play another position to try to get on the field more/quicker) he'd be competing for the back up spot with perhaps Seidl, New and Towles. There is no way that any of those kids, including Abner, can beat out Bardo. In my opinion, Bardo was a better qb than Guidugli, but Guidugli was a senior on a team that needed senior leadership, plus Bardo could really help the team out by starting at cornerback and I don't think Guigugli could have played anywhere but qb. Mark my words: Bardo is going to impress the socks out of people this year. Not only does he have a very strong and accurate arm and is a legit 6'5", the kid is fast. I think he was on one of the relay teams that won a state track championship event.

I hadn't heard that about Sullivan. It would surprise me if it was true in light of the fact that he was only a sophomore last year and got very little playing time with the varsity level. Having said that, the kid is put together well and if he keeps his head on straight and works hard this offseason, I can see him getting a ton of playing time this year particularly on defense.

Responding to another poster, the Birds did lose some very talented seniors for last year's squad. No doubt about it. But they have plenty coming back. They'll probably be listed as the team to beat at the beginning of the year, but as others have mentioned, JC has a lot coming back; Whitley has a lot coming back and I was told that Pulaski has just about everyone coming back. Not so sure that what the teams from the West have coming back though. And let's not forget Dixie Heights in Highlands back yard. They might have the best group of athletes on one team that Dixie has ever compiled. So they aren't going to be a push over.

Highlands will definitely be challenged this year and if they don't bring their A game when needed, they will be brutally disappointed.
True, the team will have to stay focused, but all signs point to this year's team being something really SPECIAL. I see Justin Johnson anchoring the defensive line in 2009, and if he continues to improve and make the most out of the Highlands off-season training regimen (his first while at Highlands), then even this potential "question mark" (i.e. the defensive line) will be solid.
Highlands id one of those teams that will forever have the dominant name, kind of like KY basketball (or what used to be anyway), but just like KY...any team can be beat!
jbwill2 Wrote:True, the team will have to stay focused, but all signs point to this year's team being something really SPECIAL. I see Justin Johnson anchoring the defensive line in 2009, and if he continues to improve and make the most out of the Highlands off-season training regimen (his first while at Highlands), then even this potential "question mark" (i.e. the defensive line) will be solid.

I don't see the d line being a question mark. JJ returns at the nose; Dierig, Welz and Beck all return with experience at the DE; talk is that Schlosser will be playing some DE also (ala Dempsey of this past season); Hahn, a junior, if he doesn't start on the O line, will get some time on the D line. The D line will not be a question mark in my opinion. We will be more than solid at every position; but you never know what other teams will be like. Like I said, we should start the season as the favorite, but it's ending the season as the champs that matters
charlie22 Wrote:If I can respond to the question posed to Tradition: if Abner even plays qb (I'm told he wants to play another position to try to get on the field more/quicker) he'd be competing for the back up spot with perhaps Seidl, New and Towles. There is no way that any of those kids, including Abner, can beat out Bardo. In my opinion, Bardo was a better qb than Guidugli, but Guidugli was a senior on a team that needed senior leadership, plus Bardo could really help the team out by starting at cornerback and I don't think Guigugli could have played anywhere but qb. Mark my words: Bardo is going to impress the socks out of people this year. Not only does he have a very strong and accurate arm and is a legit 6'5", the kid is fast. I think he was on one of the relay teams that won a state track championship event.

I hadn't heard that about Sullivan. It would surprise me if it was true in light of the fact that he was only a sophomore last year and got very little playing time with the varsity level. Having said that, the kid is put together well and if he keeps his head on straight and works hard this offseason, I can see him getting a ton of playing time this year particularly on defense.

Responding to another poster, the Birds did lose some very talented seniors for last year's squad. No doubt about it. But they have plenty coming back. They'll probably be listed as the team to beat at the beginning of the year, but as others have mentioned, JC has a lot coming back; Whitley has a lot coming back and I was told that Pulaski has just about everyone coming back. Not so sure that what the teams from the West have coming back though. And let's not forget Dixie Heights in Highlands back yard. They might have the best group of athletes on one team that Dixie has ever compiled. So they aren't going to be a push over.

Highlands will definitely be challenged this year and if they don't bring their A game when needed, they will be brutally disappointed.

Great Post Tradition, keep us up to date on what is going on at HHS :Thumbs:
Bardo is the real deal.

I know Ty Seidle, my son played with him. He is a very heady individual, but not ready to take the team at this stage.
I don't see anyone that can beat Highlands in 5A any time soon. Unless they play like they did again BS last year. The only team that can beat highlands in Kentucky is Highlands......
cj2561 Wrote:I don't see anyone that can beat Highlands in 5A any time soon. Unless they play like they did again BS last year. The only team that can beat highlands in Kentucky is Highlands......

I agree. Highlands may need to watch out for the Bluebirds in 09.:BigLaugh:
cj2561 Wrote:The only team that can beat highlands in Kentucky is Highlands......
Well, I'm not sure about that. I suspect that Trinity and Saint X would beg to differ with the statement you made above!!!!!
jbwill2 Wrote:Well, I'm not sure about that. I suspect that Trinity and Saint X would beg to differ with the statement you made above!!!!!

If Highlands was going to beat T or X, this coming season would be one of their better shots of doing so. But alas, at least at this point, it doesn't look like such a matchup is going to occur. I know Highlands still has openings for weeks 5 and 7, so maybe it could work out yet. I know that Highlands has approached Bell and Johnson Central about playing in one of those two weeks, but I've been told that neither has responded to the offer as of yet. Either one of those two would be fun to watch.
jbwill2 Wrote:Well, I'm not sure about that. I suspect that Trinity and Saint X would beg to differ with the statement you made above!!!!!

the comment was meant that no one in 5A would beat HHS.
I say Highlands is still the team to beat and will win another state title.
Any team can be beating any giving night and ill throw up a team that will give them a good run for there money, if they do not end up beatig them, is the "Harlan County BlackBears".We stepping up this year and we will be undefeated going into the state championship game. Do not forget about ht name you'll hear it alot over the 2009 season....This is BLACKBEAR NATION come and try to take us down....
The only thing that can stop Highlands. . . . DITKA
MR.Amazeing Wrote:Any team can be beating any giving night and ill throw up a team that will give them a good run for there money, if they do not end up beatig them, is the "Harlan County BlackBears".We stepping up this year and we will be undefeated going into the state championship game. Do not forget about ht name you'll hear it alot over the 2009 season....This is BLACKBEAR NATION come and try to take us down....

You know, that's all well and good....but you were a 5A team playing 3A ball and didn't do very well in it. Highlands is a whole different animal than what you are used to seeing.
IRISH4 Wrote:You know, that's all well and good....but you were a 5A team playing 3A ball and didn't do very well in it. Highlands is a whole different animal than what you are used to seeing.

Good post
I agree. Ditka. Can do it by himself.
i say a couple guys could but one that would hurt would be dART.
Pages: 1 2