Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lexington Christian 51 - Newport Catholic 49
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RICHMOND - The Newport Central Catholic girls' basketball team is familiar with Lexington Christian. The Eagles are the state's small-school juggernaut and the team that usually stands between the Thoroughbreds and a Touchstone Energy All "A" Classic state title.

"I thought we had them this year," said NewCath senior Kimber Schultz.

They did, until they didn't.

In the end, Lexington Christian scored in the final seconds to beat NewCath 51-49 in the Thursday night at McBrayer Arena. LCA, which has eliminated NewCath three straight years, will try to become the first team in the tournament's 30-year history to win three-straight titles.

With 1:30 left Thursday, it appeared the streak would end. The game was tied 47-47. LCA forward Sarah Beth Barnette, a Kentucky recruit, had just fouled out and then received a technical. NewCath, which earlier in the day beat Paris in the quarterfinals, was in position to ice the game.

"We have not had nights like this very often playing at the Class A level," said LCA coach Jason Seamands. "... When Sarah Beth got the technical and they're at the foul line, I'm thinking 'What am I going to say to these girls in the locker room?' And then they found a way.

LCA, for the record, got a little help from NewCath. The Thoroughbreds made just 2 of 7 free throws in the game's final 90 seconds............

Lexington Christian (17-4) - Barnette 1 0 2, Martin 10 5 25, Cox 3 0 7, placeCityClifton 5 3 14, Mitchuson 1 0 4. Totals 20 8 51.

Newport Central Catholic (15-7) - Schultz 1 0 2, Tabor 3 5 11, Bartels 4 4 13, Sandfoss 4 0 8, Giesler 3 1 10, Fryer 2 0 5. Totals 17 10 49.

LCA 10 9 18 14 - 51
NewCath 11 18 13 7 - 49

3-pointers: LCA 3 (Cox, Clifton, Mitchuson); NCC 5 (Bartels, Giesler 3, Fryer).

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...901300363/