Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach pleads guilty to punching ref
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CORBIN — A volunteer coach has been sentenced to probation in southeastern Kentucky after pleading guilty to punching a referee during a middle school football game.

The Times Tribune reported John Green of Pineville was sentenced to 12 months in jail on the misdemeanor assault charge, but the court allowed probation for 24 months.

The 36-year-old Green will be off probation after a year if he completes anger management training.

Officials said Green helped coach Bell County Middle School's team and was angered by officials' calls during a game with Corbin Middle School on Oct. 6, 2008.

The incident occurred in the third quarter of the game and stopped it.

The court on Jan. 21 also barred Green from the sidelines of any sporting event.

http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/676290.html
He not a coach of any kind volunteer or anything. He was a parent that was on the sideline. He is not a COACH.

Glad to see this is behind him, it was a terrible decsion on the part of Mr. Green.
Corbin and the paper in Corbin continue to call him a coach...why? Maybe because if they happen to let a parent on the sidline then what. Well I was there also and he was never ask. He was not a coach.
I have watched a lot of games in person and only once was I mad enough to hit a ref, as a fan. I left early becasue I could not take the calls he was making.
I've seen plenty of officials that I would have loved to punch (more than once) as a player, coach and fan BUT that is a poor example to set for kids of all ages (Little League, Middle School, High School).
Did this guy come out of the stands or was he on the sideline? Either way it's pretty sad. Everybody makes mistakes though.
this is sad
I had to laught after I read this. People should know by now that you can not and I repeat can not touch game officals.
Some refs just need a good punch to the face lol.
I can sometimes imagion myself going down there and punching a ref but I have enough restrain on myself not to. I means its only a game people.
[quote=Bobcat_Dad]He not a coach of any kind volunteer or anything. He was a parent that was on the sideline. He is not a COACH.

Glad to see this is behind him, it was a terrible decsion on the part of Mr. Green.[/QUOTE

Why would the AP and Court indicate he was a vol. coach if he wasn't. And if he was not a coach what was he doing on the sideline close enough to hit an official?

I witnessed another vol coach for Breathitt Middle hit an kid during a team fight on the field. His board of education done nothing to him but he was sued in civil court and lost.

Adults should have enough sense to know, coach or not, that this is a game and WE set the example for our kids. This type of stuff has caused the KHSAA to change their rule on ejections. If a coach is ejected depeding on the nature the KHSAA will send out a more sever punishment, not just suspension for the next game.
Colonel Kill Wrote:[quote=Bobcat_Dad]He not a coach of any kind volunteer or anything. He was a parent that was on the sideline. He is not a COACH.

Glad to see this is behind him, it was a terrible decsion on the part of Mr. Green.[/QUOTE

Why would the AP and Court indicate he was a vol. coach if he wasn't. And if he was not a coach what was he doing on the sideline close enough to hit an official?

I witnessed another vol coach for Breathitt Middle hit an kid during a team fight on the field. His board of education done nothing to him but he was sued in civil court and lost.

Adults should have enough sense to know, coach or not, that this is a game and WE set the example for our kids. This type of stuff has caused the KHSAA to change their rule on ejections. If a coach is ejected depeding on the nature the KHSAA will send out a more sever punishment, not just suspension for the next game.

Are you talking about the south floyd fight that sms and them had about 3 years ago?
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:[quote=Colonel Kill]

Are you talking about the south floyd fight that sms and them had about 3 years ago?

Yea that would be the one. That was terrible.
Colonel Kill Wrote:[quote=Magicjefferson25]

Yea that would be the one. That was terrible.

I was there. He didnt punch a kid, he threw a kid off of me, who happened to be the other coaches sun, and the kid didnt play, he was spectating. South floyd played dirty that whole game, they should have took there loss and went home.

I was there. He didnt punch a kid, he threw a kid off of me, who happened to be the other coaches sun, and the kid didnt play, he was spectating. South floyd played dirty that whole game, they should have took there loss and went home.

Actually weren't they already home, so in fact you took your win and went home. And I think it takes two teams to fight. Where there any players ejected before the fight or were there any flags for dirty play. Since you played for Breathitt I am sure you have your view and someone from South Floyd may have a different view. But thats okay, I am not on here to talk about who or what started the fight, just what resulted from it.

All I know is that from what I read he settled in Court and had to pay the kid money, I think a few thousand dollars. So if he did not do anything why did he settle. Besides he should have never touched anyone that was not on his team. I am a coach and would never in a fight toch anyone that was not my own team. If you go to those classes most boards make you attend, that is taught.

Actually weren't they already home, so in fact you took your win and went home. And I think it takes two teams to fight. Where there any players ejected before the fight or were there any flags for dirty play. Since you played for Breathitt I am sure you have your view and someone from South Floyd may have a different view. But thats okay, I am not on here to talk about who or what started the fight, just what resulted from it.

All I know is that from what I read he settled in Court and had to pay the kid money, I think a few thousand dollars. So if he did not do anything why did he settle. Besides he should have never touched anyone that was not on his team. I am a coach and would never in a fight toch anyone that was not my own team. If you go to those classes most boards make you attend, that is taught.

First of all it was a figure of speech. Yes they were playing at home, but they should have taken the loss like a man(thats another figure of speech) and said good game, instead of starting a fight. There were no players ejected before the fight. There was 38 seconds left in the game, i ran in a 2 point conversion, and then a player from south floyd started punching me at the bottom of the pile. I got up in defense hit him and then was jumped by 4 or 5 players. The coach was just trying to get them off of me, he didnt punch any kids. All he did was throw them off of me. What about the South Floyd fans who rushed the field and started hitting my teammates, what do you have to say about them? I believe it took coach 3 years and around 10 g's in fees to get this muck over with. I do not believe he settled, but im not sure.
Also from what i know the kid was not a player, he was the coaches son and was there watching. Shouldn't he have gotten in trouble for going on the field to engage in a fight, when he wasn't even on the team?

First of all it was a figure of speech. Yes they were playing at home, but they should have taken the loss like a man(thats another figure of speech) and said good game, instead of starting a fight. There were no players ejected before the fight. There was 38 seconds left in the game, i ran in a 2 point conversion, and then a player from south floyd started punching me at the bottom of the pile. I got up in defense hit him and then was jumped by 4 or 5 players. The coach was just trying to get them off of me, he didnt punch any kids. All he did was throw them off of me. What about the South Floyd fans who rushed the field and started hitting my teammates, what do you have to say about them? I believe it took coach 3 years and around 10 g's in fees to get this muck over with. I do not believe he settled, but im not sure.

There was definately no call for any fans to come on to the field for any reason. The coaches are to take care of their respective teams. I am sure that made things a lot worse. But again you fought back instead of being the bigger person and let the officials do their jobs and eject the kid for throwing a punch. I know it takes a lot but it takes two to fight and there is no excuse for that. The coach did settle, the 10 g's probably went to the kid and not fee's. You can check through open records in Floyd County Courthouse and get the records. He settled after depositions(sp?).

But what this thread was about was a vol coach guily of punching a ref and I referred to this coach as it was much of the same type of actions. An adults, especially coaches, have a responsibilty to be role models for young impressionable kids. And there is no excuse in a GAME for an adult to act so stupid as these two men did.

There was definately no call for any fans to come on to the field for any reason. The coaches are to take care of their respective teams. I am sure that made things a lot worse. But again you fought back instead of being the bigger person and let the officials do their jobs and eject the kid for throwing a punch. I know it takes a lot but it takes two to fight and there is no excuse for that. The coach did settle, the 10 g's probably went to the kid and not fee's. You can check through open records in Floyd County Courthouse and get the records. He settled after depositions(sp?).

But what this thread was about was a vol coach guily of punching a ref and I referred to this coach as it was much of the same type of actions. An adults, especially coaches, have a responsibilty to be role models for young impressionable kids. And there is no excuse in a GAME for an adult to act so stupid as these two men did.

The refs couldn't see anything in the bottom of the pile. They were playing dirty all game and i reached my breaking point when i was punched. Only reason i talked about this was because you made it sound as if he hit the kid, which he didn't.

The refs couldn't see anything in the bottom of the pile. They were playing dirty all game and i reached my breaking point when i was punched. Only reason i talked about this was because you made it sound as if he hit the kid, which he didn't.

You say he did not hit the kid but COURT records show he settle in a civil case with the kid for striking him. So keep on saying he did not hit him but records show he did, check them out.

You say he did not hit the kid but COURT records show he settle in a civil case with the kid for striking him. So keep on saying he did not hit him but records show he did, check them out.

He grabbed the kid buy the shoulders and threw him back off of me. Nothing else, I'm sure he didn't get any help out in floyd county with the court case. I say it was a hopeless cause to try and battle, so he just settled to get this mess over with.
I can assure you he is not a coach. I don't care what the AP or Court records have said.

This goes on the shoulders of the Middle school coaches keeping parents off the sideline and in the stands. This as said before was a very said example for the kids.
William Muney Wrote:I can assure you he is not a coach. I don't care what the AP or Court records have said.

This goes on the shoulders of the Middle school coaches keeping parents off the sideline and in the stands. This as said before was a very said example for the kids.

This guy wasn't a coach. It doesn't matter now everything is behind them and what Mr Green done wasn't right no matter what.