Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Health Care Policy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Study in Maine of citizens ideas about health care:

* Health care should be a right, not a consumer good.
* Everyone whould have access to affordable health care.
* High quality health care should be available to everyone.
* Health care should be affordable for employee and employer.
* Costs to individuals should be based on ability to pay.
* Funding prevention aves money and improves health.
* People need to take personal responsibility for their health.
* Health care should include mental health and substance abuse coverage.

Reasonable and probably supported by large majority of Americans.
If you want to mke health care cost efficient this is the way to go!

The lack of prevention is a major problem for people in their 20s.
The only way health insurance will ever be affordable in this country is when something is done to control the law profession in this country, and the greed of corporate America is held accountable for their actions.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:The only way health insurance will ever be affordable in this country is when something is done to control the law profession in this country, and the greed of corporate America is held accountable for their actions.

I agree, but that's not happening since that's who our elected politicians are.
Health care is no more a right than car ownership is. Before the 60's, people could afford to pay out of their pockets for healthcare, but that was before medicare and medicaid. Doctors began increasing their fees for services and the government kept right on subsidizing them. Now no one can afford to pay a doctor out of their own pocket. The same is true of college tuition. In 1960 you could attend U K fulltime for 110.00! The trouble with liberals and their programs to help people is that they overlook human nature, and their proclivities to take advantage of a system set up to help folks who can't themselves. Now perfectly able bodied people are standing around whining about needing healtcare when all they have to do is go buy some health insurance, but they are too selfish to do that. They had rather spend their money on cell phones, computers, video games, and crap they don't need instead of taking care of what is important first.
If health care becomes a right then obesity should carry a fine.
lawrencefan Wrote:Health care is no more a right than car ownership is. Before the 60's, people could afford to pay out of their pockets for healthcare, but that was before medicare and medicaid. Doctors began increasing their fees for services and the government kept right on subsidizing them. Now no one can afford to pay a doctor out of their own pocket. The same is true of college tuition. In 1960 you could attend U K fulltime for 110.00! The trouble with liberals and their programs to help people is that they overlook human nature, and their proclivities to take advantage of a system set up to help folks who can't themselves. Now perfectly able bodied people are standing around whining about needing healtcare when all they have to do is go buy some health insurance, but they are too selfish to do that. They had rather spend their money on cell phones, computers, video games, and crap they don't need instead of taking care of what is important first.

Yes, yes no treatment for cancer and the right to own a Lexxus, placed side by side for our edification. Doctors used to take chickens for payment, and green beans. And. let's see, your straight line cause and effect is Medicaid and Medicare for the high cost of healthcare? No doubt, there are people who could afford insurance but won't get it for the reasons you state. However, the majority of uninsured folks are the working poor. If you think human greed does not match "take advantage" in human nature, in fact exceed it, you're studying a different life text book than me.
All for health care for everyone, but I don't think it's a birth right for everyone! I don't want my taxes raised in order to provide health care for perfectly able bodied people who simply choose to take advantage of the system.
The Sniper Wrote:All for health care for everyone, but I don't think it's a birth right for everyone! I don't want my taxes raised in order to provide health care for perfectly able bodied people who simply choose to take advantage of the system.

Has it ever dawned on many of you all that our taxes are also higher because of tax shelters figured out by pricey lawyers and overseas bank accounts and slick corporate accountants? Blame the poor, absolve the rich and powerful...is that it? Show me a plan or a system that can be devised in such a way that can prevent some from misusing or exploiting it. The fact that some people do not take advantage of a public education does not mean the system should be shut down for those who do.
Have you ever noticed folks who get medicaid. They are in the doctor's offices all the time. Why? They don't pay anything for it! When no one pays for healthcare, you won't be able to see a doctor. Try some personal responsibility.
thecavemaster Wrote:Has it ever dawned on many of you all that our taxes are also higher because of tax shelters figured out by pricey lawyers and overseas bank accounts and slick corporate accountants? Blame the poor, absolve the rich and powerful...is that it? Show me a plan or a system that can be devised in such a way that can prevent some from misusing or exploiting it. The fact that some people do not take advantage of a public education does not mean the system should be shut down for those who do.

That's why we need the FAIR TAX or the flat tax.
thecavemaster Wrote:Has it ever dawned on many of you all that our taxes are also higher because of tax shelters figured out by pricey lawyers and overseas bank accounts and slick corporate accountants? Blame the poor, absolve the rich and powerful...is that it? Show me a plan or a system that can be devised in such a way that can prevent some from misusing or exploiting it. The fact that some people do not take advantage of a public education does not mean the system should be shut down for those who do.

I stand by my original statement

Didn't blame or absolve anyone, simply mean I shouldn't be taxed more in order to provide health care to others when I'm barely making it myself.
How close are we to socialized healthcare. It's a disaster in Canada!
Stardust Wrote:How close are we to socialized healthcare. It's a disaster in Canada!

Doesn't it work well in the United Kingdom?
I can't understand why anyone would want the Government to supervise their health care plan or any other plan for goodness sake, just look at all the other programs they control or have controlled over the past 100 years.
Old School Wrote:I can't understand why anyone would want the Government to supervise their health care plan or any other plan for goodness sake, just look at all the other programs they control or have controlled over the past 100 years.

If not the government, who has strength and power enough to regulate Big Insurance, Big Medicine, Big Pharma? If a person wants to opt out of a provided system and get a tax credit, so be it. However, healthcare is not a product on the market in a western democracy.
Do we have the option of opting out of higher taxes?
lawrencefan Wrote:Do we have the option of opting out of higher taxes?

:thumpsup: Good point
lawrencefan Wrote:Do we have the option of opting out of higher taxes?

The "opt out" part had to do with some sort of universal provider plan. The tax credit part had to do with if a person chose to opt out of that plan and stay with or get their own private insurance. So, while clever, your question spoke only to cleverness, not the issue.
For those of you that think todays healthcare system here's a little bit of information for ya.

Drs prescribing the wrong medecation to patients is the 3rd largest contributor of premature death in America!

So you see, it isn't all rosey after all.

No one should have to skip groceries so Dr So and So can buy another timeshare at Hilton Head and buy a new Hummer every 2 years.

There has to be some give and take.

Right now its all take.