Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Do you think its fair to coach your son or daughter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please just give your imput on this good or bad.
Nothing wrong with it, you just can't play favorites with them
Don't see what the big deal would be. My dad coached me and he was harder on me than anyone else.
It's ok.
Played under two coaches, two separate times that their daughters were on the team. One played favorites, the other did not. It is all in how they are treated. Start the best five players, sorry if yours doesn't happen to be one of them.
I dont see a problem with it.
i dont see a problem as long as the coach doesnt play favorites. i know a few teams where the father coached their child and they were tougher on them than the rest of the players
I coached my own daughter, and I was harder on her because of that fact. I didn't start her in many games, not because she wasn't one of the best five, but because she was my daughter and I regret that. At least my assistant coaches set me down and talked to me about this issue. I think it is hard to coach your own child, I don't think you can help being either too hard or to soft.... I don't think you could be in the middle.
It would be tough to coach your own IMO
KYGal Wrote:I coached my own daughter, and I was harder on her because of that fact. I didn't start her in many games, not because she wasn't one of the best five, but because she was my daughter and I regret that. At least my assistant coaches set me down and talked to me about this issue. I think it is hard to coach your own child, I don't think you can help being either too hard or to soft.... I don't think you could be in the middle.

The last sentence summed it up.
No problem with it at all. If not, then there would be NO youth coaches ever, right. In HS, why shouldn't the player be able to attend the same school that his father or mother works?
I don't see anything wroung with it.
In order to coach your son or daughter they should be the best player or the worst player they couldnt be average.
nothing wrong with it..one of my assistant coaches had a son on the team and he was much more strict on him than anyone else..even sat him the whole quarter on jv and he was their starting point guard.
theflash Wrote:nothing wrong with it..one of my assistant coaches had a son on the team and he was much more strict on him than anyone else..even sat him the whole quarter on jv and he was their starting point guard.

that is one of my points but the kid really didnt need to sit that long dont you think or was it the case if i dont make a point with my son they will think im not fair.
KYGal Wrote:I coached my own daughter, and I was harder on her because of that fact. I didn't start her in many games, not because she wasn't one of the best five, but because she was my daughter and I regret that. At least my assistant coaches set me down and talked to me about this issue. I think it is hard to coach your own child, I don't think you can help being either too hard or to soft.... I don't think you could be in the middle.

GREAT post. I have saw both examples.
thumbsdown Wrote:It would be tough to coach your own IMO

I agree.
You have to draw that line of professionalism and leave being the parent at the house when you step on the court. Always play your best regardless and I don't think you'll have much of a problem.
It would be hard to coach your Son or Daughter. But, I see no problem in it.
The hardest part would be dealing with the other parents.
Yes, stupid question!
I think it would be very hard. But I don't see nothign wrong with it.
ky wildcats Wrote:that is one of my points but the kid really didnt need to sit that long dont you think or was it the case if i dont make a point with my son they will think im not fair.

no, he treated everyone on the team the same..not just his son..if a player wasnt playing hard he would sit them and put someone else in that would..he plays the players that want to play
No not if your fair.But if you try to build your kid and want them to get all the lime light. thats not right to stop a kid that could be better.look at JBS
It's tough to do. Not fair to your own.
There's nothing wrong with it as long as it is done fairly. I agree that it usually places more pressure on the coach's kid and higher expectations are set.
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Don't see what the big deal would be. My dad coached me and he was harder on me than anyone else.

I was in the same boat, when I grew up. My Dad played the best players he had. Sometimes I was in that group and other times I was sitting on the end of the bench. The worst part of this situation is that you sometimes bring the last game's screw ups to the dinner table and it gets ugly. IMO if a coach and student think they can handle the pressure there is in this situation, the more power to them.
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:No not if your fair.But if you try to build your kid and want them to get all the lime light. thats not right to stop a kid that could be better.look at JBS

I think most parents cant just be the coach, i believe i would be so hard on my son or daughter that they would quit. So that way i would not be fair and would expect so much out of them.

I agree 100%, & parents will talk about whatever move you make with your child whether you start them or not. IMO a coach/parent is always under scruitiny no matter what call you make with letting your kid play or not play. Somebody's always got something to say about it & usually it's the same person that complains about it no matter what you do & 9 out of 10 times this person doesn't even have a kid on the team. That's what I always hated about it & never could understand.
Yes If It Is Done Clean
Pages: 1 2