Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How Many Schools Have a True Strength Coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most schools have an O and D coordinator. During this time of year it's important to have a good strength and conditioning coach also. Which coaches around are the best?
Estill, Breathitt and Powell are looking good, I hear.
With money so tight I would imagine that would be a job that is hard to come by and harder to find money to pay for it.
Letcher Central has their players working real hard in weight room
Are you asking how many schools have someone hired to just be the strength coach? If so, I would guess very few in this area. Most every school does have someone that runs the weight room and conditioning program, but they have other positions also (Could be a coordinator or position coach).
thecoacher Wrote:Are you asking how many schools have someone hired to just be the strength coach? If so, I would guess very few in this area. Most every school does have someone that runs the weight room and conditioning program, but they have other positions also (Could be a coordinator or position coach).

There is usually a member of a coaching staff that has experience with the different aspects of lifting. A lot of schools are now incorporating, in with their power lifting, plyometrics and things like that that not only build strength, but speed and agility also. Kinda like a workout which doesn't just focus on the squats, benches, power clean, ect. which gets the kids stronger, but faster and more agile too. I was just wondering how many schools around did those kinda things in with their work outs to get total overall strength and conditioning.
Many schools are doing pylometrics now. Trinity and St X I know have full time strength coaches. That is all they do year round for the schools.
Ashland..... Tony Love!
Pikeville Derek Sword
blitzingback Wrote:There is usually a member of a coaching staff that has experience with the different aspects of lifting. A lot of schools are now incorporating, in with their power lifting, plyometrics and things like that that not only build strength, but speed and agility also. Kinda like a workout which doesn't just focus on the squats, benches, power clean, ect. which gets the kids stronger, but faster and more agile too. I was just wondering how many schools around did those kinda things in with their work outs to get total overall strength and conditioning.

Fleming County has been doing those types of workouts for at least the past 10 years. When they hired Bill Spencer to be their strength coach. he is now also their defensive coordinator. I know they have classes during the day and they also bring their 7th and 8th graders over after school.
Prestonsburg - James Derossett
thecoacher Wrote:Fleming County has been doing those types of workouts for at least the past 10 years. When they hired Bill Spencer to be their strength coach. he is now also their defensive coordinator. I know they have classes during the day and they also bring their 7th and 8th graders over after school.

I think an in school weight program is great for high school football teams. It counts toward the kids PE classes, so why not. A lot of schools also have a flex period or study hall period that would allow this too.
Beechwood
Phillip Haywood keeps his pirates in tune
Prestonsburg-Jim Tom Allen
Letcher brings in a Strength and Conditioning guy for a few weeks in early/preseason.
Kyboy13 Wrote:Letcher brings in a Strength and Conditioning guy for a few weeks in early/preseason.

Where is he from?