Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher Central 58 - Knott Co. 49
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final Score......

Letcher Central was led by 8th grader Kelah Eldridge with 17 points and Junior Shannon Bays with 12 points...
Congrats LCC
Knott lost this game at the FT line
Although Knott Central did not win they gave everything they had. Coming back from being down 22-8 in the first quarter to leading by 5 going into the fourth. Knott gave Letcher everything they wanted and then some. There were numorous things that caused Knott to lose, one being not hitting free throws. As cliche as this sounds but the ref's were lop sided. Once Dickie got T'd up and he continued to ride the refs and finally got what he wanted. The ref's decided to bring Letcher back into the game.

Congrats to Letcher Central and way to fight them till the end Lady Patriots!
Letcher Co. Central 22 5 11 20 58

Knott Co. Central 8 15 20 6 49

Letcher Co. Central -- Kincer 6, Bays 12, Sexton 8, Whitaker 5, Wynn 2, Meade 7, Eldridge 17, Baker 1.
Knott Co. Central -- Perkins 5, King 16, S. Thomas 6, Pratt 3, Slone 3, K. Thomas 7, Conley 2, Terry 6, Pike 1.
Great win for the Lady Cougars. They still have room for improvement on both sides of the court.
congrats to the cougars. dont see how knott cant shut down the same 8th grader that didnt have near as many points in the jv game.
[quote=fanatic11]congrats to the cougars. dont see how knott cant shut down the same 8th grader that didnt have near as many points in the jv game.[/QUOT

Because Knott County's JV plays much stronger defense than its varsity.
fanatic11 Wrote:congrats to the cougars. dont see how knott cant shut down the same 8th grader that didnt have near as many points in the jv game.

During the jv game they could key on that girl. She was really the only person they had to worry about. Now the varisty is a different story. Knott had to keep in check with Kincer, Baker, and Sexton. Knott would provide help defense and double those three girls leaving Eldrige open which is how she got most of her open looks.
and_1 Wrote:As cliche as this sounds but the ref's were lop sided. Once Dickie got T'd up and he continued to ride the refs and finally got what he wanted. The ref's decided to bring Letcher back into the game.
!

If Knott would of had their "Homer" their it would of been different. The little, short, bald guy gives Knott all the calls. He is usually on most of Knott games. Guess they were on the road and couldn't bring their own refs this time. Guess they know how it feels now.
Way to go Lady Cougars!
mountain hoops guru Wrote:If Knott would of had their "Homer" their it would of been different. The little, short, bald guy gives Knott all the calls. He is usually on most of Knott games. Guess they were on the road and couldn't bring their own refs this time. Guess they know how it feels now.

I believe this game was at Knott Central. The little bald guy I believe you are talking about actually teaches at Letcher Central so I don't see him giving calls to Knott. I do believe that both coaches were T'd up this game. Dickie was T'd for arguing with a ref and Chris was T'd for taking up for his girls because from the moment Dickie got T'd the refs gave the game to Letcher Central.
jump_shot5 Wrote:During the jv game they could key on that girl. She was really the only person they had to worry about. Now the varisty is a different story. Knott had to keep in check with Kincer, Baker, and Sexton. Knott would provide help defense and double those three girls leaving Eldrige open which is how she got most of her open looks.

i agree but it still seemed that after she hit a few shots that knott central wouldnt let her have too many more open looks.
fanatic11 Wrote:i agree but it still seemed that after she hit a few shots that knott central wouldnt let her have too many more open looks.

As stated earlier Letcher has many key players which forced Knott to key on them. Of those key players I will say that they done a very good job at driving to the goal and passing the Eldrige for the shot. When the ball got to the middle Knott collapsed on it to try to prevent points in the paint leaving the 3 ball and the long 2 open for Eldrige. She did make some nice moves to the basketball and got lucky on a few. When a team doubles on the ball someone is bound to be open and more often than not she was.
Kelah doesn't even start on JV anymore or play a whole lot because shes getting so many varsity minutes. That's why she doesn't score as much in the JV anymore. But it is true that it's easier for her to get open in the varsity because the other girls have to be guarded so hard!
this was a very good game
i thought that knott showed a lot of heart the way they fought back....for about 3/4 of the game they were the better team, but they we're dominated for the other 1/4...still not really sure what kcc's coach got a t for at the end, didnt really see him say anything deservin of one, although he was gettin on the refs the entire game.
as for LCC they're a really good team, and the Kelah girl is goin to be a special player, kinda reminds me of the Noble girl from Breathitt only a little more offensively talented...not as strong with the ball or as good on defense, but still puts me in mind of her....Coach Adams is one of the best coaches, if not the best in the region, and his team always comes to play
primetime1323 Wrote:this was a very good game
i thought that knott showed a lot of heart the way they fought back....for about 3/4 of the game they were the better team, but they we're dominated for the other 1/4...still not really sure what kcc's coach got a t for at the end, didnt really see him say anything deservin of one, although he was gettin on the refs the entire game.
as for LCC they're a really good team, and the Kelah girl is goin to be a special player, kinda reminds me of the Noble girl from Breathitt only a little more offensively talented...not as strong with the ball or as good on defense, but still puts me in mind of her....Coach Adams is one of the best coaches, if not the best in the region, and his team always comes to play

Knott Central's coach wasn't the only one riding the refs all night. Dickie was on their back the entire time thus is how he got the technical and after that I am guessing the ref's felt sorry and decided to take it out on Knott Central. As for Amburgey being T'd up I didn't see that he done anything wrong other than asking the ref's to call it fair.
bflc15 Wrote:Kelah doesn't even start on JV anymore or play a whole lot because shes getting so many varsity minutes. That's why she doesn't score as much in the JV anymore. But it is true that it's easier for her to get open in the varsity because the other girls have to be guarded so hard!

she played a lot of jv min. against kcc and i dont know how many points she had but she wasnt near the factor in the jv game as she was in the varsity
primetime1323 Wrote:this was a very good game
The ref could maybe have called it because he got out of the coaches box by a good distance and raised a lot of heck, hollering at the ref and using his name. That will usually get you a T.
yeah, that could be it, and like i said he was riding them all night...its just that usually the refs will give the coach a warning before hand, and i didnt see one in this case
im not sayin coach amburgey wasn't deserving of one, just saying i didnt see anything in particular that would dictate him receiving one
Everytime KCC loses a game..it is the refs fault. In any sport, football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, and ping pong..It is the ref's fault, lol!
fanatic11 Wrote:she played a lot of jv min. against kcc and i dont know how many points she had but she wasnt near the factor in the jv game as she was in the varsity

I just said she was playing less JV minutes! I'm sure she did play a lot, but compared to the start of the season when she started and played almost the entire JV game she's not playing near that much now due to her important play on the varsity! I also said that she could contribute more on the varsity then the JV because shes not guarded as hard in the varsity game, where as in the JV game shes the main scorer! Apparently you didn't read my comment very well!!!!
Also, the comment about Dickie...I mean c'mon! He is a pretty good coach, but he is a choke artist! He has only won one Region title in like 13 seasons and that was only because Heather Martin came to LCC. At Whitesburg he had great teams, but he couldn't ever get over the hump. He had great players, like Camile Cook, Whitney Hogg, Cassie Whitaker, Chasity Fox, Ashley Stidham, Autumn Morris, Stephanie Whitaker, Ashley Sexton and many others and all these players went on to play in college and they all played high school together and you're telling me they can't win a a Region??? Randy Napier beat Dickie out of the Region every year when Dickie was at Whitesburg. PCC and Randy have Dickies number thats for sure. Every year WHS would be preseasoned ranked over PCC and WHS would even beat them in the queen of the mountains and then every year Randy beat Dickie in the Region...when it counts! One Region title...only because of a transfer...weak if you ask me!!!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Everytime KCC loses a game..it is the refs fault. In any sport, football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, and ping pong..It is the ref's fault, lol!

I went back and checked football and girls basketball and this only thread that mentions ref's. Nice response and assessment.
Good Job Cougars