Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fields notebook: Hood's record an anomaly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.kentucky.com/289/story/668579.html

Mr. Basketball front-runner's team off to 6-10 start

Mike Fields - Herald-Leader Staff Writer

Madisonville star and University of Kentucky signee Jon Hood is averaging 28.4 points, 12.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.4 steals and 2.6 blocks. For a guy who was an overwhelming pre-season choice as the No. 1 player in the state, those are Mr. Basketball-worthy numbers.

Don't hold it against the 6-foot-7 senior if his team isn't very good.

With a month left in the regular season, Madisonville will have to rally to finish with a .500 record. First-year coach Marty Cline's Maroons are 6-10 even though they haven't played anybody in Dave Cantrall's top 15.

If Hood is voted Mr. Basketball, he will be one of the few players to win the award despite playing for an ordinary team.

Of Kentucky's 54 Mr. Basketball honorees, only three didn't win at least 20 games as a senior: Steffphon Pettigrew of Elizabethtown in 2007, Dom Fucci of Tates Creek in 1975 and Randy Embry of Owensboro in 1961.

Only nine Mr. Basketball winners never played in the Sweet Sixteen, and Hood could be the 10th man on that list unless Madisonville pulls a surprise and takes the 2nd Region title.

Darius Miller had a storybook ending to his high school career last year. He led Mason County to the state championship and was voted Mr. Basketball. Miller was the 24th Mr. Basketball to be part of a Sweet Sixteen title team, the 13th to cap his senior year on that high.
He's a phenomenal player, who unfortunately plays on one of the less talented teams in WKY.
I don't think he will get Mr. Basketball because of his team's record. He is still probably the best player in the state IMO.
I watched him play at the Sheldon Clark Tourney and he is an excellent player, unfortunately he has NO help.
I don't know enough about him, but his stats are impressive. Even though his teams record is poor, if he putting up these numbers against solid competition? If so, wouldn't he still be considered for Mr. Basketball. It looks like the precedent has been made in the past that Mr. Basketball does not neccesarily translate State contender.

Any thoughts?