Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 74 - Belfry 38
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pikeville 20 16 25 13 74

Belfry 9 11 12 6 38

Pikeville (12-7) -- Clevenger 19, Clark 15, Rowe 11, Baker 13, Keene 7, Cecil 4, Evans 2, Boyd 3.
Belfry (5-9) -- Elkins 7, Hairston 3, Dotson 2, Maynard 11, Coleman 8, Varney 3, Pinson 2, Altizer 2.
Very embarrasing loss for the Pirates. At what point does Coach Casey's job become a point of interest. Same story every year and its sad to see a once proud program at this pathetic level.
wooderson Wrote:Very embarrasing loss for the Pirates. At what point does Coach Casey's job become a point of interest. Same story every year and its sad to see a once proud program at this pathetic level.

A couple losing seasons will create many conversations...
Is Pikeville that good or is Belfry that bad??? :confused:
Ouch! That will leave a mark! Good job Pikeville.
wooderson Wrote:Very embarrasing loss for the Pirates. At what point does Coach Casey's job become a point of interest. Same story every year and its sad to see a once proud program at this pathetic level.

Coach Casey has done a great job! He has a combined record of 59-43. He has a regional runner-up finish as well as a regional semi-final finish. He has been a part of every regional championship/runner-up team that Belfry has put on the floor except for 1978. He has yet to have a losing season.

Yes his team is not as good this year but he has done a good job when you look at the whole body of work. Let the man alone he knows basketball. I just hope that my HAWKS can find a way to beat the Pirates for a change.

Winning basketball regional titles are a little tougher than winning football regional titles in the...:p Basketball STATE of KENTUCKY
Wow! I'm surprised by this margin. Congrats Panthers!
Pikeville came ready to play tonight. Belfry was not hitting early in the game and got too far behind, but they never gave up. Congrats to both teams.
KentuckyGent44 Wrote:Pikeville came ready to play tonight. Belfry was not hitting early in the game and got too far behind, but they never gave up. Congrats to both teams.

Looks like they gave up to me.

Coaches job is no point of interest, he is the best man to have the job and will be for the future.
I have said many times when pikeville shoots well they will play with anybody. They seem to always have the hustle and defense it take to win...
SpyDa Wrote:Coach Casey has done a great job! He has a combined record of 59-43. He has a regional runner-up finish as well as a regional semi-final finish. He has been a part of every regional championship/runner-up team that Belfry has put on the floor except for 1978. He has yet to have a losing season.

Yes his team is not as good this year but he has done a good job when you look at the whole body of work. Let the man alone he knows basketball. I just hope that my HAWKS can find a way to beat the Pirates for a change.

Winning basketball regional titles are a little tougher than winning football regional titles in the...:p Basketball STATE of KENTUCKY

59-43? Ok Im sorry that's exactly what a fan of a mediocre program would expect. As for me , I expect more from Belfry. Ive seen and been a part of this program at its peak and it saddens me to see it in this shape. Yes he was a part of the "glory" years for Pirate basketball(as an assistant) and yes he's a good guy but maybe its time for a change at head coach.
NEXT Wrote:Coaches job is no point of interest, he is the best man to have the job and will be for the future.

Well i'll have to disagree. Maybe he is the "only" man for the job, not sure who would be interested in taking over this program at this time. As for the future we can only hope.
wooderson Wrote:Well i'll have to disagree. Maybe he is the "only" man for the job, not sure who would be interested in taking over this program at this time. As for the future we can only hope.

I understand where you are coming from BUT its not like they are not well coached.

They only had 11 turnovers last night and rebounding was about even, but they shot a whopping 23%.

You also must remember that football players 5 of the first 8 have only been in the gym about 6 weeks. Every single year football players miss almost 2 months of the season.

When you played I don't think that many of you played football out of the first 8, but its been 16 years since the last region title and I was 15 years old then. You guys also played A LOT more in the off-season than these guys do.
My son will be starting high school shortly and I really do not think I will let him play basketball at Belfry as long as Randy Casey is there. He degrades his players or at least ones that aren't his chosen few. I saw it all last night when one player hits another player on his own team intentionally and this was just fine and dandy. This is horrific is this what Belfry has come to? Belfry will not get better until Casey is gone, knowing basketball is great but, he is destroying the morale of these players. The offense he runs game after game passing the ball around the perimeter until someone loses it is NOT working, I am not convinced he knows basketball! Raymond Justice was the coach when Belfry had a good program and Casey was an assistant, and that is very different from being a head coach. If we base his valor on this he is only riding Justice's coatail. No program works with a coach that permits violence and humiliates the players.
NEXT Wrote:I understand where you are coming from BUT its not like they are not well coached.

They only had 11 turnovers last night and rebounding was about even, but they shot a whopping 23%.

You also must remember that football players 5 of the first 8 have only been in the gym about 6 weeks. Every single year football players miss almost 2 months of the season.

When you played I don't think that many of you played football out of the first 8, but its been 16 years since the last region title and I was 15 years old then. You guys also played A LOT more in the off-season than these guys do.

So the basketball talent level at Belfry has come to this? It just seems that year in and year out we arent getting even close to competing for a region championship. I know they've been exceptions, the runner up 4-5 years ago to Shelby Valley and a few more here or there but im greedy and I expect more. Belfry was never known as a basketball school until the early '90s and trust me when i say that getting there involved a ton of hard work. You had a bunch of 15,16 and 17 yr old kids volunteering to get up at 5am and participate in individual drills prior to school. Is that happening now? My one complaint with Coach Casey is his lack of discipline. It just seems that Belfry is lacking that mental toughness it takes to take a teams best punch and then come back at them. And that lies with the Coach. The one thing we were always taught was toughness, thank you Coach Justice, and I honestly cant remember one game during my 4 years where I would say we quit and just got out worked.

BTW, we went a maximum of 8 deep my last two years, winning back to back regions and 6 of those 8 were starters on the football team. Football teams,which i might add, that both went deep into the playoffs. Both years we probably had only a few days of basketball practice before hitting the hardwood for our first game and in my opinion it only helped us in the long run.

And yes you are right we did tend to play ALOT more in the offseason than these guys, i believe you were probably in the mix a few of those times.
It has always amazed me that when someone has a bad year or bad games it is always the coach never the players.......
BlueSky Wrote:It has always amazed me that when someone has a bad year or bad games it is always the coach never the players.......

IMO, this has been building up. I believe this game was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" that got these comments started.
Belfry is just not a good basketball team this year. They lack some of the talent they've had in the past. You don't have the pure athletes you have with the likes of Jamie Case, Matt Maynard, & such.. Pretty sure they only practice before school during football season, on football game days.. Talent has took a steady decline ever since the early 90's in this area.. with exceptions of 1 or 2 teams a year.. I do not however, believe Randy Casey's job is at risk. Maybe another year or 2 of this, then maybe so. However I will say, everytime Belfry has a season like this, a coaching change has come, be it may, different circumstances, but still changes have occured directly following bad seasons. (98-99 went 4-19, David Hatfield takes over for 99-00)(02-03 7-18, Jason Booher takes over for 03-04)
Well, if what mrfootball03 is saying is true about the athletes, then that puts in on Coach Casey's shoulders even more. If you do not have the athletes, then it is the coach's job to make sure your team is more disciplined, more fundamentally sound and better prepared than the other team instead of relying on the athleticism of the players. That's just my opinion. At any school, not just Belfry.
ImagineThat! Wrote:IMO, this has been building up. I believe this game was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" that got these comments started.

I believe you are correct. I am not sure Belfry is lacking talent the group of boys that are 3 or 4 years ahead of my son were always talented. Belfry has no offense and thats the coach again throw it around the perimeter until someone loses it does not work.
xpirate Wrote:I believe you are correct. I am not sure Belfry is lacking talent the group of boys that are 3 or 4 years ahead of my son were always talented. Belfry has no offense and thats the coach again throw it around the perimeter until someone loses it does not work.

Yea, i'm sure Coach Casey has set that kind of offense up. Throw it until you throw it away. Rolleyes Please get a clue. Belfry has been running the same offense for years, nothing has changed. (Yes, thats right, same offense, and the same coaching as when they were regional runners-up a few years ago.) Don't act like its a coaching problem, its not. Belfry just don't have the outstanding players that have led the teams of years before. Now, maybe some of these kids are talented, who knows, but they haven't shown it. Someone from this team is going to have to step up and be a leader. A coach can coach all day, but if no one person on that team is going to man up and be a leader, then its a lost cause.
xpirate Wrote:My son will be starting high school shortly and I really do not think I will let him play basketball at Belfry as long as Randy Casey is there. He degrades his players or at least ones that aren't his chosen few. I saw it all last night when one player hits another player on his own team intentionally and this was just fine and dandy. This is horrific is this what Belfry has come to? Belfry will not get better until Casey is gone, knowing basketball is great but, he is destroying the morale of these players. The offense he runs game after game passing the ball around the perimeter until someone loses it is NOT working, I am not convinced he knows basketball! Raymond Justice was the coach when Belfry had a good program and Casey was an assistant, and that is very different from being a head coach. If we base his valor on this he is only riding Justice's coatail. No program works with a coach that permits violence and humiliates the players.

The talent level is down... that is not the coaches fault. Talent you bring from the house. Coaches can develop skill level but that also takes a little work on the kids part. I am not convinced that you know basketball. Casey is a really good basketball coach. As for his bravery, I once saw him wrestle a gorilla, of course that was when he was playing college ball. I am sure he's not that brave now. LOL
My son has played all 3 sports his entire life as did my husband. The offense is not working, maybe it worked with one group of kids but it is not working with these kids. Thats where a coach is to adjust. Again it's not his knowledge of basketball I am concerned with. We don't degrade our son and permit violence and I do not want him looking to a person who does these things as a role model. My heart hurts for some of those boys when he freaks out on them. Some boys get by with walking up and down the court and making mistakes non stop and others, mainly I have noticed he has about 3 boys, he screams and yells at them and blames them for everything. I really can't believe their parents permit what goes on at those games, I shutter to think of what practice must be like.
I really like both teams but I am happy to see that P-Ville took this one.
Did anyone see the Pikeville's 5'11" sophomore guard dunk the ball in warm-up practice?
xpirate Wrote:My son has played all 3 sports his entire life as did my husband. The offense is not working, maybe it worked with one group of kids but it is not working with these kids. Thats where a coach is to adjust. Again it's not his knowledge of basketball I am concerned with. We don't degrade our son and permit violence and I do not want him looking to a person who does these things as a role model. My heart hurts for some of those boys when he freaks out on them. Some boys get by with walking up and down the court and making mistakes non stop and others, mainly I have noticed he has about 3 boys, he screams and yells at them and blames them for everything. I really can't believe their parents permit what goes on at those games, I shutter to think of what practice must be like.

Are you serious? If what your saying is true, then I must recommend you not let your child play any sports. You think Coach Haywood doesn't freak out on players in football?? I don't know what cupcake of a world you live it, but your crazy if you think yelling and freaking out isn't the norm in coaching. I guess Coach Haywood has sweet talked his football teams to all this success. Its not degrading to yell at a player. If you think what Coach Casey does it bad, you shouldn't even think about what goes on in the military. I have, as have many others played sports (4 years of Belfry Basketball at that) and have had my share of getting chewed out, it didn't make me wanna cry, or hurt my heart.

And as for your comment on the offense not working. You have absolutely zero clue about basketball. That is not, I repeat, IS NOT, the problem. The problem is with the players not executing the offense. There is not a leader on this team, who can get everyone together, and lead this team. You don't have a Jamie Case, or a Matt Maynard who could calm everyone down, and get thier team into offense. Until the Hairston kid or yet someone else steps up, and becomes a leader, then Belfry will continue to struggle. I don't believe this is a news flash to Coach Casey. I'm sure he is well aware of this, and i'm sure he preaches on this, and will continue to try to challenge someone to step up. I'd say this is why he is frustrated, as would I be, in that situation..
Coach Casey is very mild in terms of getting after players, and he does it because he wants them to play hard and to be honest if he did not think they could do better he would leave them alone.
good game pikeville
wooderson Wrote:So the basketball talent level at Belfry has come to this? It just seems that year in and year out we arent getting even close to competing for a region championship. I know they've been exceptions, the runner up 4-5 years ago to Shelby Valley and a few more here or there but im greedy and I expect more. Belfry was never known as a basketball school until the early '90s and trust me when i say that getting there involved a ton of hard work. You had a bunch of 15,16 and 17 yr old kids volunteering to get up at 5am and participate in individual drills prior to school. Is that happening now? My one complaint with Coach Casey is his lack of discipline. It just seems that Belfry is lacking that mental toughness it takes to take a teams best punch and then come back at them. And that lies with the Coach. The one thing we were always taught was toughness, thank you Coach Justice, and I honestly cant remember one game during my 4 years where I would say we quit and just got out worked.

BTW, we went a maximum of 8 deep my last two years, winning back to back regions and 6 of those 8 were starters on the football team. Football teams,which i might add, that both went deep into the playoffs. Both years we probably had only a few days of basketball practice before hitting the hardwood for our first game and in my opinion it only helped us in the long run.

And yes you are right we did tend to play ALOT more in the offseason than these guys, i believe you were probably in the mix a few of those times.

No. They is not happening, its a battle to get everyone there for the 6 am Fri. practices.

We played so much because we loved it, not because our mommies and daddies made us play. We have tried starting an AAU team every single year since the middle school opened, but cannot get any participation because of baseball or whatever. No place I'd rather be than in a gym, I can't say that about most kids these days.
Pages: 1 2