Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: McGwire's brother says he introduced slugger to steroids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://deadspin.com/5136177/mark-mcgwire...e=true&s=x

Quote:"THE MCGWIRE FAMILY SECRET:The Truth about Steroids, a Slugger, and Ultimate Redemption" has been hitting the desks of the big publishing houses this week (and turned down by many) even though it may prove once and for all that, yes, America, Mark McGwire was pumped full of Deca-Durabolin when he hit 403 homers in seven years. That is if you believe, Jay, the youngest, least successful McGwire brother who lost an eye in a BB gun accident as a young boy (for real) then used the $150,000 insurance settlement he received from it to purchase high-end steroids and build himself into a 6-ft.3, 320 pound professional bodybuilder. Mark became interested in steroids once he saw the positive effects it had on his little brother's physique and to help him with his chronic injury problems . Jay began hooking his brother up with light dosages and the home run records began to fall.

Here are some excerpts from the proposal that will most likely never, ever hit a book store:

• "Shortly after I won the Contra Costa Bodybuilding Championships in May of 1994, Mark took the plunge. I accompanied him to Sacramento where we met with my supplier and trainer, who explained to him how the different drugs would work on his body and answered a myriad of questions from Mark. Given Mark’s curiosity and lack of knowledge about steroids I saw from Mark, I would be shocked if Mark did something like what Jose Canseco claimed happened back in the early years....[M]ark began to use, but in low dosages so he wouldn’t lift his way out of baseball. Deca-Durabolin helped with his joint problems and recovery, while growth hormone helped his strength, making him leaner in the process. I became the first person to inject him, like most first-timers he couldn’t plunge in the needle himself. Later a girlfriend injected him."

And Jay McGwire's ex-fiancee corroborates some of his claims, although at least some of it is circumstantial.

http://deadspin.com/5137355/ex+fiancee-c...k-proposal
I wonder if Mark knew this article was coming??? Tuesday he declined an offer by Tony Larussa to be a Batting coach during Spring Training.
Can't be a better feeling than your brother throwing you under the bus...
Don't know how true what his brother is saying but it would be nice if McGwire would come out and admit to whether he done steroids or not.
If he did to the juice back in the day before it was banned, I see it as no big deal. When testing started we never heard of him failing a test. I don't blame the man if he used roids before they were illicit. Pro baseball is a very demanding sport that takes a toll on the body. You basically end at the beginning of October and start right back into the swing of things in February. 162 games a year on the knees for a man his size definately does some damage. He is getting accused of Decadurobolin which mainly supplys water to the muscles and keeps the joints lubed to decrease the grinding of the bones. HGH on the other hand builds lean muscle, increases the red blood cells, and supplies a more permanent type of strength than any other steroid on the black market. If the writers are holding him out of Cooperstown because of the speculation of him using these substances before they were banned, then that is rediculous. Roids don't increase your hand-eye coordination to hit the ball, they don't pump up the glove that allows you field the ball, and they don't make you any smarter on the bases. Sure it may increase the overall bat speed to make the ball go further, but you have to make contact with the thing before you can ever tell. I'm not sure if he has the stats or not, but if his alleged steroid use is what is holding him back then that is crazy. Also, insulin is now being used as an anabolic substance much of the same way HGH is. What is the hall going to do now, ban everyone that is diabetic?
DALE Wrote:If he did to the juice back in the day before it was banned, I see it as no big deal.

Then-Commissioner Fay Vincent banned the use of anabolic steroids, performance-enhancing drugs and other illegal substances in 1991. Then-Chairman (later Ciommissioner) Bud Selig reaffirmed that policy in 1997.

And of course, there's the whole bit about violations of federal and state laws regarding controlled substances ...
I spoke with someone a few years back that played for the Athletics and was actually Mark McGwire's roommate on the road when he first came up to the show. He informed me that McGwire and many of the other players were already on the juice...and I would put this man's word over anyone elses.