Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Legislative discussion to shorten school year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A notice came to many teachers today, through their KEA rep. about the legislature looking into shortening an already short school year to offset buget shortfalls.... if anyone out there can shed some light on this subject, please share.
This is stupidity at its finest.
IISnakE Wrote:A notice came to many teachers today, through their KEA rep. about the legislature looking into shortening an already short school year to offset budget shortfalls.... if anyone out there can shed some light on this subject, please share.

Had to correct a spelling error.
WOOT!!!!
How much are they thinking they are going to shorten it by?
I personally think they should lengthen the school day and shorten the year to the way it used to be. School should run from approx. right after Labor Day to right before Memorial Day. The school days should be from 9 to 5. A lot of working parents don't want to pick their kids up to 5 anyway. But that would work out well IMO. 8-3 accomplishes nothing and the kids are lucky to get 2 months during the summer as it is right now. Of course no schedule would satisfy everyone.
Notice came today that Pike County is RAISING the price of breakfast and lunch. Prices used to be .75 for breakfast which is being raised to $1.00 and lunch went from $1.50 to $2.00 per child. This does not include the children who eat free or reduced meals.

I didn't see anything about shortening the school year. IMHO, the kids are burnt out, they need a break... I mean a serious break. Too much to accomplish and its at a pace of snap, snap, snap,...... I know we didn't even get two complete months off for summer break. They concentrate so much on the dang end of the year test and making sure that the kids have covered everything that is outlined in the curriculum that the kids get overwhelmed and tend to get lazy. Not to mention those who play sports and extra curricular activities are absolutely pushed to the limit! Hopefully they can come up with a reasonable fix for the budget problems and do soemthing that will actually benefit the kids!
As a future teaching, (finally student teaching), I think they need to do away with the CATS testing. Teachers could do so much more if they didn't have to teach things that are directly to the test. I think a shorter school year would be beneficial. Not much gets accomplished after the testing anyway, sad but true.
The kids are burnt out. They put so much on them and expect so much out of them anymore. We must be trying to create genius robots with computerized brains by 4th grade. If kids can't learn all they need over a 13 year period (K-12) without having to rush through all of these so called goals they keep putting up, then we are in bad shape. The poor kids barely have time to eat lunch (not a healthy practice), PE is not a required regular class like it used to be (obesity is a major problem in America), there is no band or other similar classes to bring out creativity like there once were. We think that we must have little Johnny Rocket Scientist ready to work for NASA by the time he graduates or we have failed. This is ridiculous! The modern education system may teach kids faster, but I won't say that it teaches them better. And at what cost.......?
Ive always thought the school years should be shortened, and highschool should be 5 years not 4.
I read recently where many schools systems have researched teen sleep patterns and have adjusted their schedule to mesh... beginning the school day later and go longer in the afternoon.
I sent a question to my legislator regarding the information I was sent. If I get a response, I'll share. I was worrried they might try to cram some "quik fix" measure thru and ruin the end of this school year!
phs1986 Wrote:Notice came today that Pike County is RAISING the price of breakfast and lunch. Prices used to be .75 for breakfast which is being raised to $1.00 and lunch went from $1.50 to $2.00 per child. This does not include the children who eat free or reduced meals.

I didn't see anything about shortening the school year. IMHO, the kids are burnt out, they need a break... I mean a serious break. Too much to accomplish and its at a pace of snap, snap, snap,...... I know we didn't even get two complete months off for summer break. They concentrate so much on the dang end of the year test and making sure that the kids have covered everything that is outlined in the curriculum that the kids get overwhelmed and tend to get lazy. Not to mention those who play sports and extra curricular activities are absolutely pushed to the limit! Hopefully they can come up with a reasonable fix for the budget problems and do soemthing that will actually benefit the kids!
I can agree with your post, but in reality if you think it's that bad at the high school level, you would be absolutely flabbergasted as what the time demands at the college level are like for a student/athlete. It's absolutely brutal.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I can agree with your post, but in reality if you think it's that bad at the high school level, you would be absolutely flabbergasted as what the time demands at the college level are like for a student/athlete. It's absolutely brutal.

I've always wondered how hard it is for college student/athletes. I could imagine...
Brittany0121 Wrote:As a future teaching, (finally student teaching), I think they need to do away with the CATS testing. Teachers could do so much more if they didn't have to teach things that are directly to the test. I think a shorter school year would be beneficial. Not much gets accomplished after the testing anyway, sad but true.

I think your right about CATS testing and teaching to the test. I'm wondering, if the school year is shortened, will the pay scale be adjusted (lowered) to the number of days taught?
Old School Wrote:I think your right about CATS testing and teaching to the test. I'm wondering, if the school year is shortened, will the pay scale be adjusted (lowered) to the number of days taught?

Lets hope not teachers aren't paid enough now. I agree some adjustments need to made. We must have testing to measure progress. I think a nationally normed test would be a better indicator than the CATS test. As an educator the task of teaching our children is demanding and without respect. Our children continue to fall below the national average in reading and math. Not to mention other countries We must continue to challenge and demand nothing more than the best education possible for our children. Teachers must have standards and be held accountable. The future of Kentucky's kids is at stake.
EKY Sportster Wrote:The kids are burnt out. They put so much on them and expect so much out of them anymore. We must be trying to create genius robots with computerized brains by 4th grade. If kids can't learn all they need over a 13 year period (K-12) without having to rush through all of these so called goals they keep putting up, then we are in bad shape. The poor kids barely have time to eat lunch (not a healthy practice), PE is not a required regular class like it used to be (obesity is a major problem in America), there is no band or other similar classes to bring out creativity like there once were. We think that we must have little Johnny Rocket Scientist ready to work for NASA by the time he graduates or we have failed. This is ridiculous! The modern education system may teach kids faster, but I won't say that it teaches them better. And at what cost.......?

Stop making excuses for kids. Todays kids are expected to do less, achieve less and want more. I agree that Pe classes and music are needed in the schools. Kentucky's kids also continue to fall below te national average in reading and math. We must demand better of ourselves as teachers, parents and administrators.
kittennation Wrote:Lets hope not teachers aren't paid enough now. I agree some adjustments need to made. We must have testing to measure progress. I think a nationally normed test would be a better indicator than the CATS test. As an educator the task of teaching our children is demanding and without respect. Our children continue to fall below the national average in reading and math. Not to mention other countries We must continue to challenge and demand nothing more than the best education possible for our children. Teachers must have standards and be held accountable. The future of Kentucky's kids is at stake.

I agree teachers aren't paid enough, and testing is a must, but I do not like the current system where the students scores must improve each year. IMO each class is different, next years class may be better than this years, or it may not. It seem to me that schools should lengthen the school year instead of making it shorter.

My wife is an educator so I know what you and the other teachers are going through and you have my prayers, good luck.
Kids are burnt out? GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I agree with the person who said stop making excuses for the kids. How on earth are they going to be prepared for college if they are burnt out now??? College is harder, they party more,(majority) the demand is greater and they can't handle high school???? How on earth are they going to succeed in college or at life, in general.

Kentucky's educational system started going down hill with the implementation of KERA. IF they would get back to the old way of teaching, get rid of all the chiefs, get more Indians, the school systems would have, at least, more money for the children. It's really sad when a schools system administrative salaries (superintendents, principles, assistant principles) is just about as much as the funding the county receives.....something is REALLY wrong. For example, at our little high school, there's 2 guidance counselors, 2 assistant principles and that's not even counting the people that go around that make sure other people are doing what they are suppose to be doing....sorry...I will get off my soap box
Teachers do need to be held accountable, as should any other occupation. However, the current testing system is not he correct way to do it. Teachers are basically being given a "cookbook" to teach by instead of letting the teachers use the knowledge they obtained in college and TEACH. I also feel that elementary students are being required to learn too much too quick. They are being taugh higher level curriculum without having the fundamentals (basic reading, math, spelling, writing), because the way the system is set up, teachers do not have the time to slow down or back up and teach it. NO CHILD IS LEFT BEHIND because they are pushed through without knowing the information. Schools need to go back to letting kids be kids. Let them have more than 15 minutes for lunch, let them have more than 15 minutes for recess, let them have their related arts and you will not have as high a rate of obesity, ADHS, sensory integration disorders, behavior disorders and socialization problems to mention a few. As cheerdad said, I'll get off my soapbox now. At least for a while. For all you teachers, this is not a knock on you but the system.
I agree with you, absolutely 100%. As I am finishing school, sometimes I get excited about all the things that I can possibly share with my students. And then I realize that they already tell me EXACTLY what I've got to teach them, as well as what materials to use. I don't like the NCLB, really. Some of the reading programs are good, but for the most part, I'd rather be able to choose my own books and materials to use. It makes it more personal to the teacher/student relationship.
Well the hours of school now kill me by the end of the day i have no energy and I don't want to do anything but sleep.
BatCat11 Wrote:Well the hours of school now kill me by the end of the day i have no energy and I don't want to do anything but sleep.

The how on earth are you going to handle the "real" world? 7 hours of school is nothing compared to what you are going to have to do as a responsible adult. Try working 50 hours a week and being a full-time graduate student, and raising a family....then tell me how you have no energy!
kittennation Wrote:Stop making excuses for kids. Todays kids are expected to do less, achieve less and want more. I agree that Pe classes and music are needed in the schools. Kentucky's kids also continue to fall below te national average in reading and math. We must demand better of ourselves as teachers, parents and administrators.

Well I don't disagree with you on the want more part. But by kids I am talking about the curriculum demands they now use, not necessarily the time spent in school. I am not for reducing classroom time, just in shortening the school year and slightly lengthening the school day! I also was referring to all grades, not just high school. And maybe your school is different, but we don't have that issue on failing to meet the national averages.
I'm a teacher and I like reading through these posts...very interesting to get everyone's perspectives on it. I have mixed opinions on the topic. I agree with whoever said that teachers and students need to be held accountable...however, I sometimes feel overwhelmed and feel like I'm being pressured to only teach towards a test. As far as the time spent at school, 8-3 seems fine with me right now, but then again I teach primary so it would be difficult to expect 6 year olds to stay focused for any longer than that. I haven't heard anything about changing the school year length. All I can say is that if they do shorten it I sure hope that doesn't affect our pay!! I appreciate the person who acknowledged that teacher don't get paid enough as it is!
Brittany0121 Wrote:As a future teaching, (finally student teaching), I think they need to do away with the CATS testing. Teachers could do so much more if they didn't have to teach things that are directly to the test. I think a shorter school year would be beneficial. Not much gets accomplished after the testing anyway, sad but true.

I read somewhere that colleges don't even look at our CATS test scores.
Kentucky_Liberal Wrote:I read somewhere that colleges don't even look at our CATS test scores.

They don't. ACT scores are what counts. Senior portfolios don't really matter either.
I really like the idea of shortening the year and increasing the hours. Most kids go to school then go home anyways, so what would be the big deal? I honestly don't like the CATS testing. It doesn't benefit me in the long run, so why slave over something that doesn't have a cause? I believe thats why scores have went down in the past years; us students know that they don't count, so we don't try. I try though, but like i said, in the end, it's not going to help me. For example, I scored a distinguished on my on-demand this year, and as some of you might know, that's a hard score to get just from writing off the top of your head. But when I go to college, and want to enter Journalism or English, they're not going to look and see how well I done on those tests. I believe the system should be based around ACT skills and college preprepatory classes. When reading all these posts it reminded me of the movie "Freedom Writers", and how the teacher ran the classroom the way she wanted to and became successful in the end (that's based on a true story, too). And being a student who is involved with extra curricular activities, it IS hard for us stay on track sometimes. And yes, college is much worse, but I believe that's just something you'll have to adjust to anyways. I really do hope that they come up with a solution with this, and one that doesn't come with alot of conflict. It's school, and no matter what happens, you still got to go in the end.

Big Grin
I say build bigger schools that have sleeping quarters in them and stay there for 9 months. At the end of the year, they can go to their patents homes for 3 months....lol Just kidding.
Any new updates on this?
Since we've missed even MORE school?!
Get rid of CATS testing! ---- It's useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lengthen school day from 8-4 or 9-5 & shorten school year!

OR even go to a four day school week!

Just my Opinion!
Did any of you know that the school year has days ADDED to it? It used to be that children had to attend only 175 days out of the year..... IDK... but if there are budget shortfalls why are they adding days to the school calendar???
Pages: 1 2