Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can Holmes run the table? Ryan Ernst Blog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...innati.com

Posted by RyanErnst at 1/21/2009 4:08 EST on Cincinnati.com

Short answer: yes.

Much, much longer answer:

We all knew heading into the Northern Kentucky boys' basketball season that Holmes was the team to beat. Most had the Bulldogs pegged as a top-five team in the state. I figured they'd have about four losses heading into the postseason: one to Scott County, two more in invitationals and maybe one resulting from an off night on the road against a hot-shooting Northern Kentucky team.

But past the midway point of the regular season, Holmes is 16-1 heading into Saturday's game against Largo (Md.) in the Laurel County Hoopfest. If the Bulldogs get out of there with a victory, there's a very good chance they could enter the postseason with a 28-1 record.

The biggest remaining roadblocks: Jan. 31 at Scott, Feb. 6 vs. Highlands, Feb. 7 vs. Hazard and Feb. 10 at Boone County.

I don't see the Bulldogs losing any of those games. But as head coach David Henley said earlier this season, "There are going to be plenty of Tuesday nights in January and February when there are 200 people in the gym. Are your guys going to be ready to play every night?"

It's a good point. The Kentucky prep basketball season is long. For the top teams, it's as long as a college season. (Don't believe it? Last year, state champion Mason County was 34-4; national champion Kansas was 37-3. In 1983, Henley was a senior on Carlisle County's 37-3 state runner-up team; national champion NC State played four less games that year.)

When a team plays that many games, crazy things happen. But if you ask me, 28-1 isn't too crazy to happen.
I can definitely see Holmes coming away with a state title this year. They are going to be a tough team to beat in the tournament.
If they already lost a game then they can't run the table.
Holmes is definitely the team to beat and I predict that they indeed will win the state title this year.
I don't know if they will, but they certainly can! They have the talent!
Is it possible? Sure. But I think that somewhere between now and Saturday night at Rupp (if they advance that far) they will take another loss. JMO.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Is it possible? Sure. But I think that somewhere between now and Saturday night at Rupp (if they advance that far) they will take another loss. JMO.

I would tend to agree with that. This is defintely one of the most talented teams in HS basketball that I have seen in years. This includes the 3 years that I had courtside experience to watch the Mayo/Walker Circus at Noth College Hill and the Moeller teams of Josh Duncan and Andrew Brackman. This team could compete with those two national powerhouses and would win their share of teams.

Every team can be beat, that's a given. But if there is a team that can run the table for the rest of the year, I would put Holmes on that short list. Scott Co. is right there, and after I see how Elliott does against Msaon Co., I beleive they have a chance. This year's top 5 is a solid as I have seen any year in the recent past.

IMO, get Holmes this year, because they will be even better next year. They lose Riley, but they have players that are pusing Rilely for his spot this year.
Most polls have Holmes and Scott County neck and neck and the rest of the

state playing for 3rd place.