Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Big East Football or Sec Basketball?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which is worse?
SEC Basketball by far.

Big East was not as bad as everyone wants to make them out to be. They were 4-2 in Bowl games, third only to the SEC who was 6-2 and the Pac 10 5-0. Their Power Rankings, based on Strenght of Schedule was ahead of the Big 10 with OSU & PSU in BCS games, and the Mountain West with 13-0 Utah.
Big East Football. There wasn't really a consistent Big East Football team in the NCAA. In the SEC Basketball, you have Florida, Miss. St, UK, and Tenn that has top 25 potential and can play with some big name teams.
I think Big East football is slightly better. The Big East has teams like WVU, Pitt, UofL, Rutgers, South Florida, and UCONN. In recent years these teams have been top 25 and some even top 10 programs. The Big East football is an up an coming conference right now. I think you have to look at the programs on the rise out of nowhere such as Rutgers, South Florida, and UCONN who have all been very successful in the last few year. In regards to SEC basketball, I don't think it has ever been good. In the SEC you have one or two teams tops that are worth anything and this year you don't have a single team that I feel is a good club. You take UK this year and throw them in a elite conf like the Big East or ACC and they would be a middle of the road team in the conf. Where in the SEC they are more than likely the team to beat.
The Joker Wrote:I think Big East football is slightly better. The Big East has teams like WVU, Pitt, UofL, Rutgers, South Florida, and UCONN. In recent years these teams have been top 25 and some even top 10 programs. The Big East football is an up an coming conference right now. I think you have to look at the programs on the rise out of nowhere such as Rutgers, South Florida, and UCONN who have all been very successful in the last few year. In regards to SEC basketball, I don't think it has ever been good. In the SEC you have one or two teams tops that are worth anything and this year you don't have a single team that I feel is a good club. You take UK this year and throw them in a elite conf like the Big East or ACC and they would be a middle of the road team in the conf. Where in the SEC they are more than likely the team to beat.

I really wouldn't expect U of L to be mentioned in this thread after the beat down UK gave them this year. That's no upcoming at all to me, considering it was kind of a down year for UK. But I guess you know this stuff a little better than I do. Big Grin
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Big East Football. There wasn't really a consistent Big East Football team in the NCAA. In the SEC Basketball, you have Florida, Miss. St, UK, and Tenn that has top 25 potential and can play with some big name teams.

I think you just made my argument. These teams have potential to be in the top 25 where the Big East Football had 4 teams in the top 25 at one point during the 2008 season.
Money Maker Wrote:I really wouldn't expect U of L to be mentioned in this thread after the beat down UK gave them this year. That's no upcoming at all to me, considering it was kind of a down year for UK. But I guess you know this stuff a little better than I do. Big Grin
Are you disregarding the fact that UofL was in the Orange Bowl a few years back? From the years 2000 to 2006 UofL was an elite college football program. In this time period the Cards averaged 9.7 wins per season and they won over 10 games three times. So I guess this would suggest that I do know this stuff somewhat better than you:1: . In regards to the past two years under coach Kragthorpe the past two years have been a struggle and the Cards haven't played up to their potential but I think this previous seven seasons that they put up would justify UofL being a good football program. So I wouldn't focus so much on two low points that have came because of a coaching change.
The Joker Wrote:Are you disregarding the fact that UofL was in the Orange Bowl a few years back? From the years 2000 to 2006 UofL was an elite college football program. In this time period the Cards averaged 9.7 wins per season and they won over 10 games three times. So I guess this would suggest that I do know this stuff somewhat better than you:1: . In regards to the past two years under coach Kragthorpe the past two years have been a struggle and the Cards haven't played up to their potential but I think this previous seven seasons that they put up would justify UofL being a good football program. So I wouldn't focus so much on two low points that have came because of a coaching change.

I'm a huge UofL fan but I wouldnt say elite, but def very good. UofL has had more success than UK will ever have in football though. UL was bad this year and there going to be worse next year unfortunately.
Stardust Wrote:I think you just made my argument. These teams have potential to be in the top 25 where the Big East Football had 4 teams in the top 25 at one point during the 2008 season.

Very true. But once the SEC teams do get in the top 25, they will be in there for a long time and not drop out. Plus SEC teams have beaten better competition I think. Tenn beat G-Town and Arkansas beat Texas and Oklahoma.
Big East Football!!!
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Very true. But once the SEC teams do get in the top 25, they will be in there for a long time and not drop out. Plus SEC teams have beaten better competition I think. Tenn beat G-Town and Arkansas beat Texas and Oklahoma.

IMO, the SEC is not good enough to get teams into the top 25 with the exception of UK
This year: SEC Basketball is worse... nearly every other year aside from this one...Big East Football is worse.
Aslan Wrote:I'm a huge UofL fan but I wouldnt say elite, but def very good. UofL has had more success than UK will ever have in football though. UL was bad this year and there going to be worse next year unfortunately.

Proof?
In the grand scheme of thing the height of UL football was a couple years ago when they reached Liberty Bowl (while in C-USA), Gator Bowl (After messing the bed down the stretch and losing their shot at a BCS game, lost the game), and Orange Bowl (Beat a 2nd Rate Wake Forest) in 3 straight years. Definately more than what UK has done recently, but nothing that distinguishes them as having an ELITE history compared to UK.

UL has benefitted from playing in a Big East Conference that typically only has 1 or 2 teams capable of COMPETING on the major stage. UL also benefitted greatly from being in C-USA and being able to take Partial Qualifiers. Now that they are unable to take these kids and must compete on a more leveled playing field you have seen a drastic turn in fortunes.

If UK reaches a BCS game (though I doubt it happens) in the enxt 2 or 3 years... one would have to think that this stretch of UK football would best UL's run of the early 2000's.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This year: SEC Basketball is worse... nearly every other year aside from this one...Big East Football is worse.

That's about right.
Aslan Wrote:I'm a huge UofL fan but I wouldnt say elite, but def very good. UofL has had more success than UK will ever have in football though. UL was bad this year and there going to be worse next year unfortunately.
After looking at this I agree that they aren't an elite team, but they are a highly successful team. I would classify elite with Florida and USC. Wouldn't you agree?
The Joker Wrote:After looking at this I agree that they aren't an elite team, but they are a highly successful team. I would classify elite with Florida and USC. Wouldn't you agree?
I disagree...there is an astronomical disparity between UL's program and many others above them.

Elite (and still elite currently):
Alabama
USC
Florida
Ohio State
Texas
Oklahoma
LSU

Elite (Not so elite currently):
Michigan
Florida State
Miami
Notre Dame

Great (Current and not current):
Georgia
Tennessee
Nebraska
Penn State
Virginia Tech

Highly Successful (Current and Non-Current):
Arizona State
UCLA
Wisconsin
Auburn
West Virginia
Clemson
Boston College
Utah
Boise State (Say what you will about both Utah and BSU.. they both have reached the BCS and won games like UL, but have sustained their success just as long if not longer, and they dominate their respective conferences)

I would consider UL a "successful program" based only on their success n the early 2000's... if the pattern continues they will end up losing this distinction. I would compare UL with teams like Oregon, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Iowa, Colorado, Oregon state, Pitt, and North Carolina... had UL not won an Orange Bowl they wouldn't come close to sniffing this list.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I disagree...there is an astronomical disparity between UL's program and many others above them.

Alabama
USC
Florida
Ohio State
Texas
Oklahoma
LSU

Michigan
Florida State
Miami
Notre Dame

Georgia
Tennessee
Nebraska
Penn State
Virginia Tech

Arizona State
UCLA
Wisconsin
Auburn
West Virginia
Clemson
Boston College
Utah
Boise State (Say what you will about both Utah and BSU.. they both have reached the BCS and won games like UL, but have sustained their success just as long if not longer, and they dominate their respective conferences)

I would consider UL a "successful program" based only on their success n the early 2000's... if the pattern continues they will end up losing this distinction. I would compare UL with teams like Oregon, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Iowa, Colorado, Oregon state, Pitt, and North Carolina... had UL not won an Orange Bowl they wouldn't come close to sniffing this list.
Well I'm glad you wasted 15 minutes of your life on making this little chart. If you will read the name of the thread you will find your post way off topic. This is not a UofL football thread or a thread trying to tell everyone how great they are. It is a Big East Football vs SEC Basketball thread to see which one is worse. The only reason I even went on my little spill about UofL was because a previous post that acknowledged UofL as a awful program or team. So I was just clarifying their success in recent years. I think your post would be a great idea for another thread but not needed in this one.

Just for the record: I think a team that averages 9.7 wins over a seven season span would be considered a good team. I don't really get all of the different ratings you gave these teams. I think you have about 6 to 8 elite teams in college football and then you have around 20 good programs that are year to year teams. So I think you went a little overboard this the whole classification of these teams.
The Joker Wrote:After looking at this I agree that they aren't an elite team, but they are a highly successful team. I would classify elite with Florida and USC. Wouldn't you agree?

Yes, they was a successful program on the rise, before Hurricane Krag come.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I disagree...there is an astronomical disparity between UL's program and many others above them.

Alabama
USC
Florida
Ohio State
Texas
Oklahoma
LSU

Michigan
Florida State
Miami
Notre Dame

Georgia
Tennessee
Nebraska
Penn State
Virginia Tech

Arizona State
UCLA
Wisconsin
Auburn
West Virginia
Clemson
Boston College
Utah

UL's run was much better than that group you mentioned them in. I'm not saying they was elite, but they WAS a very successful program on the rise. Now were going to be rebuilding the next few years...
Back to the topic. This year the Big East is better. Every other year it's about even. Both of them have been bad though the last couple of years.
Big East Football

Uk football is on the rise so idk about that.
Big East football, just look at Louisville. enough said.
guyfawkes Wrote:Big East football, just look at Louisville. enough said.

Thats a horrible post. Ville was not even one of the top teams in the confrence in recent years. But when they were the killed UK. So really have some common sense and dont just be bias.