Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: News From London
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know how true any of this is, but I plan on searching the web to see if I can verify it. This would definitely make people think twice about all their presidential bashing in the past however many years. It could be false, though.

Ready for a shock? Below is an article from the London Times about our military. Interesting, it is!
Our media coverage is shameful!

Winning Isn't News

By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Iraq : What would happen if the U.S. won a war but the media didn't tell the American public? Apparently, we have to rely on a British newspaper for the news that we've defeated the last remnants of al-Qaida in Iraq .

London 's Sunday Times called it 'the culmination of one of the most spectacular victories of the war on terror.' A terrorist force that once numbered more than 12,000, with strongholds in the west and central regions of Iraq, has in over two years been reduced to a mere 1,200 fighters, backed against the wall i n the northern city of Mosul.

The destruction of al-Qaida in Iraq (AQI) is one of the most unlikely and unforeseen events in the long history of American warfare. We can thank President Bush's surge strategy, in which he bucked both Republican and Democratic leaders in Washington by increasing our forces there instead of surrendering.

We can also thank the leadership of the new general he placed in charge there, David Petraeus, who may be the foremost expert in the world on counter-insurgency warfare. And we can thank those serving in our military in Iraq who engaged local Iraqi tribal leaders and convinced them America was their friend and AQI their enemy.

Al-Qaida's loss of the hearts and minds of ordinary Iraqis began in Anbar Province, which had been written off as a basket case, and spread out from there.

Now, in Operation Lion's Roar the Iraqi army and th e U.S. 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment is destroying the fraction of terrorists who are left. More than 1,000 AQI operatives have already been apprehended.

Sunday Times (London) reporter Marie Colvin, traveling with Iraqi forces in Mosul, found little AQI presence even in bullet-ridden residential areas that were once insurgency strongholds, and reported that the terrorists have lost control of its Mosul urban base, with what is left of the organization having fled south into the countryside.

Meanwhile, the State Department reports that Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's government has achieved 'satisfactory' progress on 15 of the 18 political benchmarks 'a big change for the better from a year ago.'

Things are going so well that Maliki has even for the first time floated the idea of a timetable for withdrawal of American forces. He did so while visiting the United Arab Emir ates , which over the weekend announced that it was forgiving almost $7 billion of debt owed by Baghdad, an impressive vote of confidence from a fellow Arab state in the future of a free Iraq.

But where are the headlines and the front-page stories about all this good news? As the Media Research Center pointed out last week, 'the CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News and CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 were silent Tuesday night about the benchmarks 'that signaled political progress.'

The war in Iraq has been turned around 180 degrees both militarily and politically because the president stuck to his guns. Yet apart from IBD, Fox News Channel and parts of the foreign press, the media don't seem to consider this historic event a big story.

Copyright 2008 Investor's Business Daily. All Rights Reserved.

Addendum: The reason you haven't seen this on American television or read about it i n the American press is simple--journalism is 'dead' in this country. They are controlled by Liberal Democrats who would rather see our troops defeated than recognize a successful Republican initiated response to 9/11.

Media probably were holding 'til after coronation of BHO in order to give him credit.
God bless our troops, God bless our current President and God bless the U.S.A.

How many will you forward it to? We need to get it known around the country ASAP.
I have a brother in law and a friend in Iraq and Afghanistan, respectively, and I support the troops whole-heartedly.
That being said, this would be wonderful news if true, and I would welcome it. This country needs it. I would even take back my Bush-Bashing, when dealing with the war. :-D But I dont see the media hiding something that is that big of a deal, no matter their political affiliations.
Keep researching for us!
If so then congrats to our troops! They are the ones that have been putting it on the line. But it still doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't have been in Iraq to start with. Iran has been strengthened at the expense of our solders lives and our country's money. That is not a victory IMO!
LOL Iran has not been strengthened, it has been severely weakened. Most of the younger generations are starting to buck the current regime. Actually personally knowing quite a few Iranians, they feel that the current regime will either strike out in a last ditch effort to unite the people behind them, or there will be a civil overturn of the current govt in place. Most of these people take comfort in the fact that Iraq has made major progress, and they feel America will be there to support them if they can get rid of their radicals in govt.
Beetle01 Wrote:LOL Iran has not been strengthened, it has been severely weakened. Most of the younger generations are starting to buck the current regime. Actually personally knowing quite a few Iranians, they feel that the current regime will either strike out in a last ditch effort to unite the people behind them, or there will be a civil overturn of the current govt in place. Most of these people take comfort in the fact that Iraq has made major progress, and they feel America will be there to support them if they can get rid of their radicals in govt.

Wishful thinking! Would be nice, but it didn't work in China!
EKY Sportster Wrote:Wishful thinking! Would be nice, but it didn't work in China!

Yet. As the country grows economically, more and more people will desire freedom from their communist dictators.

As history has shown it is only a matter of time. Both governments are ran by extremists who are forced to rule with an iron fist to control the population. Eventually those populations will become uncontrollable for those govts, and there will be a revolt. And there we will be ready to step in and set up a proper democracy. If Iraq does pan out into a sustainable democracy of free people, who noone thought could ever exist together without extreme tensions or civil war. I think the world will owe GWB a huge thank you, whether his intentions were noble or not, he may have done a great deed.

Because if it can happen in Iraq, it can happen anywhere.

A war in which we won, of course if you watched the news two years ago, we stood no chance and it was a waste of time and money and lives. Now it has been won, and people who lived everyday in fear of their leader now know they have a say in their govt. Something we all take for granted.