Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: East Jessamine coach battles cancer, brings joy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please remember in your prayers

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/661929.html

For East Jessamine Coach Ralph Sallee and his girls' basketball team, this season has been more a journey of faith and inspiration than a trail of victories and defeats.

It has been a winter of life's starkest lesson — how to face mortality — set against the backdrop of fun and games and youthful exuberance.

Sallee has provided a shining example.

Ten months after he was diagnosed with late-stage cancer and told he had nine months to live, after countless chemotherapy and radiation treatments, Sallee battles on, coaching and preaching, and appreciating each breath he takes.

"Some people with (terminal) cancer deal with it so differently than we have," he said. "Some people hibernate and seek quiet solitude.

"My family and I have chosen to try to keep living.

"I want to be here another 30 years, or more. But the Lord has that in his hands, and we have to trust him."
This message is one which each person will learn lessons from. My brother and sister-in-law are both battling cancer, and they too are brave about facing it.