Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: A Strategy to Defeat Shelby Valley?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What would you do as a coach if you could chose any team in the 15th to play Shelby Valley? I think that we all agree that SV is the strongest team in the 15th and would be a challenge to defeat. Offense? Defense?
If you can shut down Elisha Justice and make the offense run through someone else, you will beat Shelby Valley.
Being an outsider, I don't have much of an opinion. But what I would look at are their strengths compared to our teams strengths. Typical coaching challenge is to get the opposition to come out of their game plan and play yours.

What is it that SV does that makes them unique? Is it their: size, press-D, outiside shooting, inside game?

Get them out of their rythem and you can beat anyone. The games that they have lost of been challenged has exploited something about them. My guess is that these teams all played a similar type of game. Granted, of their four losses, only Knott is from KY. What sytle of game does Knott play that made it a challenge for SV? That's where you will find your key to beating them.
What I would do is make sure my team knows funamentals. When they dribble their low to the ground so their is never "backtapping" secondly I would have to have some gaurds that could drive and maybe get a couple of their gaurds in foul trouble. Drive and dish for the 3 or go in and do some hollywood acting.
Stardust Wrote:Being an outsider, I don't have much of an opinion. But what I would look at are their strengths compared to our teams strengths. Typical coaching challenge is to get the opposition to come out of their game plan and play yours.

What is it that SV does that makes them unique? Is it their: size, press-D, outiside shooting, inside game?

Get them out of their rythem and you can beat anyone. The games that they have lost of been challenged has exploited something about them. My guess is that these teams all played a similar type of game. Granted, of their four losses, only Knott is from KY. What sytle of game does Knott play that made it a challenge for SV? That's where you will find your key to beating them.

The strength for the team is their defense. Valley scores a lot of points off of turnovers. Out rebounding Valley will lead to their defeat also. But foremost, you have to shut down Elisha Justice if you want to beat Valley. If Elisha scores over 20 points, Valley is pretty much a guaranteed victory.
PC_You_Know Wrote:If you can shut down Elisha Justice and make the offense run through someone else, you will beat Shelby Valley.

Idk hatfield can do some damage too
PC_You_Know Wrote:The strength for the team is their defense. Valley scores a lot of points off of turnovers. Out rebounding Valley will lead to their defeat also. But foremost, you have to shut down Elisha Justice if you want to beat Valley. If Elisha scores over 20 points, Valley is pretty much a guaranteed victory.

You are correct out rebounding Valley is the key. IMO, JC is the only school in the 15 th that can do that. Valley is a very sound team, but JC is much more physical and athletic, and when they are playing like they are capable, I think could give Valley some matchup prolbems. It would take a great game from JC to beat Valley.
Shut down Justice, and make no mistakes fundamentally and make shots!
well we could make a 15th region all-star team and put bob knight as the coach put them in duke jerseys play the game at cameron indoor and well valley would still win....imo and im tired of hearing johnson central CAN beat them. valley will win by as many as they want.
king360 Wrote:Idk hatfield can do some damage too

Hatfield and Elisha are two of the best in the Region, along with Adams.

As an added comment Hazard is playing good ball again and are to reckoned

with the rest of the season.
central fan Wrote:well we could make a 15th region all-star team and put bob knight as the coach put them in duke jerseys play the game at cameron indoor and well valley would still win....imo and im tired of hearing johnson central CAN beat them. valley will win by as many as they want.

You're hearing that they CAN beat them because it is the truth. JC has all the tools, primarily the size and the defence, to do so. JC starts a line-up thats just as big, and overall maybe bigger, as SV's. Parker 6-5, J. Bratton 6-6, T. Bratton 6-3, Hall 6-3, Welch 6-4, Whitiker 6-1. They play almost any D out there too. The only loss SV has is to Knott and when JC and Knott played JC had the lead at the end of the 3rd and fell short by just a few...
Mr.Mister Wrote:You're hearing that they CAN beat them because it is the truth. JC has all the tools, primarily the size and the defence, to do so. JC starts a line-up thats just as big, and overall maybe bigger, as SV's. Parker 6-5, J. Bratton 6-6, T. Bratton 6-3, Hall 6-3, Welch 6-4, Whitiker 6-1. They play almost any D out there too. The only loss SV has is to Knott and when JC and Knott played JC had the lead at the end of the 3rd and fell short by just a few...

and valley was also without justice
dortonite Wrote:Hatfield and Elisha are two of the best in the Region, along with Adams.

As an added comment Hazard is playing good ball again and are to reckoned

with the rest of the season.

I agree Justice and Hatfield are a couple of the very best in the 15th but no way do I consider Adams on of the best. I mean he is 6'9 or 6'10 and he had 4 points in the 30+ point win over BL this week.
Colonel Kill Wrote:I agree Justice and Hatfield are a couple of the very best in the 15th but no way do I consider Adams on of the best. I mean he is 6'9 or 6'10 and he had 4 points in the 30+ point win over BL this week.

How many block shots did he have ,how many shots did he change ?. Thats what you have to look at also not just points.Wink
I havent watched them play this year, but I did last year, and I believe the only player they lost was Bryant?
I would def try to get them in a half court game. Limit there fast break opportunities and opportunities to press you.
Aslan Wrote:I havent watched them play this year, but I did last year, and I believe the only player they lost was Bryant?
I would def try to get them in a half court game. Limit there fast break opportunities and opportunities to press you.

Bryant and J. Justice.
ballcrazy Wrote:Bryant and J. Justice.

Thanks.
ballcrazy Wrote:How many block shots did he have ,how many shots did he change ?. Thats what you have to look at also not just points.Wink

Very true.
In the SV-BL game, Justice and Bryant both were penetrating the lane and dishing off to a big man if the helper defender stepped up. Another thing that Justice did to get open was to go through from the strong side, coming out on the weak side, and the ball was being reversed back to him for an open 3. Adams set a couple of screens for Justice when he drove the ball back to the weak side for a jumper. These moves can be challenged if your defensive players can make the reads. A basketball player is a person of habits, the trick is to try to take aways as many of his moves as you can, make him have to think about what he is doing, and take him out of his comfort zone. I am amazed at EJ's knowledge of the game at this stage of his playing career. So my strategy would to alter Justice's play, box out(body on body) on the big men and double team at all times, make SV beat you on outside shooting and not give the SV's press the easy steals and runouts.
I have only seen Valley play once, but this is my take on them.
I think you have to pack the zone in and make them knock down the outside shot. The thing I noticed is that valley takes alot of easy shots inside the paint. And yes they have some good outside shooters but I would rather be beat by the 3 then by Hatfield and Adams killing me inside.

Offensively, just shoot about 80% from field because it is usually impossible to do what I said defensively haha.
Mr.Mister Wrote:JC has all the tools, primarily the size and the defence, to do so. JC starts a line-up thats just as big, and overall maybe bigger, as SV's. Parker 6-5, J. Bratton 6-6, T. Bratton 6-3, Hall 6-3, Welch 6-4, Whitiker 6-1.

For comparisons sake, Shelby Valley's height from high to low of the 8 who play are 6-10, 6-7, 6-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-1, 5-11, 5-10
central fan Wrote:well we could make a 15th region all-star team and put bob knight as the coach put them in duke jerseys play the game at cameron indoor and well valley would still win....imo and im tired of hearing johnson central CAN beat them. valley will win by as many as they want.

You may be right with this setup, put John Pelfrey as coach and UK jerseys on them and at Rupp and the 15th would win. This thread is how you would beat SV. JC does has all the guns and several big tough athletic kids who will not be afraid of SV. This is why SV in past years is always one and done at Rupp, they play bigger more athletic teams. Keep it an inside game and it would play to JC. And remember it just takes one hot team in March to ruin a great season!
I think the best way to be Valley is: First, take care of the ball and avoid allowing those TO's and the points Valley gets from them; Second, shut down Elisha Justice or at least limit him; and Third, crash the boards!!

The only team that can do it IMO is JC, but they don't have the guard play IMO to pull it off. The only way Paintsville did it last year is with the guard duo which done very well, great shooting early in the game, and Grimmy on the boards. And it still almost wasn't enough. Tall order for any coach!
ballcrazy Wrote:How many block shots did he have ,how many shots did he change ?. Thats what you have to look at also not just points.Wink

I think your are right but we are talking about a kid that is 6'10 in the 15th region were maybe most teams have a 6'4 or 6'5 kid. To metion he is one of the best if the 15th to me means he should at the very least be averaging a double double. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good player and helps his team but in no way is he one of the best in the region.

As far as a strategy, I think most teams in the 15th have to play a perfect game limiting to's, making shots, and hit the boards hard and hope to get SV out of their rhythm. I think this only works if SV is a little off one night.
Forcing Valley into a half-court game gives your team a chance at winning IMO. Valley scores 40% or more of their points off of turnovers, meaning if you can take care of the ball and not give up second chance points then you have a really good shot at winning. Although, we all know its no easy task.
Stardust Wrote:Being an outsider, I don't have much of an opinion. But what I would look at are their strengths compared to our teams strengths. Typical coaching challenge is to get the opposition to come out of their game plan and play yours.

I don't think Elijah played against Knott! From what I heard SV still was in the game with a shot to win. I don't think Knott would have won with Elijah on the court.
This thread has to be a first of its kind. LOL!
SportsKing Wrote:I don't think Elijah played against Knott! From what I heard SV still was in the game with a shot to win. I don't think Knott would have won with Elijah on the court.

You are correct. Elijah was out with the shoulder injury at the time.

This is an interesting thread. KYGent44 said it best: players are creatures of habit. Study how they play the game. If you're gonna beat Valley, you must take care of the basketball, limit their second-chance points, I would play matchup 2-3 but in order to do that, you must have a quick ballclub with great guard play - which is essential to defeating SV.
jammin' jamey Wrote:You are correct. Elijah was out with the shoulder injury at the time.

This is an interesting thread. KYGent44 said it best: players are creatures of habit. Study how they play the game. If you're gonna beat Valley, you must take care of the basketball, limit their second-chance points, I would play matchup 2-3 but in order to do that, you must have a quick ballclub with great [B]guard play[/B] - which is essential to defeating SV.

This is the exact reason the 15th cannot beat Valley, no one can shut down Elisha, it takes a good defensive team to stop Valley.
Dont Turn The Ball Over They Score Most Of Their Points Off Turnovers
Pages: 1 2 3 4