Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike County Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are your thoughts as to where the MS County Basketball Tournament will be held this year. Does anyone know exactly where and when it will be held? Thoughts and opinions are welcomed... :1:
PikeCoTeamAnalyst Wrote:What are your thoughts as to where the MS County Basketball Tournament will be held this year. Does anyone know exactly where and when it will be held? Thoughts and opinions are welcomed... :1:

I'm guessing either Virgie or Belfry.

We haven't had the tournament meeting yet, but we will know soon. I am guessing the tournament will begin the weekend of the 7th.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I'm guessing either Virgie or Belfry.

We haven't had the tournament meeting yet, but we will know soon. I am guessing the tournament will begin the weekend of the 7th.

I wish we would get a set rotation, or go by the rotation we setup when we combined schools at Belfry.

Its way too political now.

I would be in favor of Pikeville College every year BUT that punishes pressing teams with the larger court.
I too would agree with Pikeville College. The tournament is actually supposed to be held at Virgie this year,going by the rotating conferences.
Seems that Belfry is calling alll the shots at tournament time... It seems I recall the same thing happening during football tournament time.. Have the school board members forgotten that they are elected officials to serve all county and not just one end of such county???? Who calls the shots in such decision making??? Seems Shelby Valley,Virgie and a few other schools are always put on the back-burner when it comes to atletics, however, some of the best players are in this area!!! What gives????
I watch you! Wrote:Seems that Belfry is calling alll the shots at tournament time... It seems I recall the same thing happening during football tournament time.. Have the school board members forgotten that they are elected officials to serve all county and not just one end of such county???? Who calls the shots in such decision making??? Seems Shelby Valley,Virgie and a few other schools are always put on the back-burner when it comes to atletics, however, some of the best players are in this area!!! What gives????

Do you really need me to get started on that?

We call 0 shots.
OH WOW!!!! Didn't take much to ruffle SOMEONE'S feathers, did it??? My POINT EXACTLY!!!!! The same old pity-party about how badly you have been treated every time something doesn't go the way you want!!! So much for your ME_ME attitudes!!! Go FIGURE !!!!!
I watch you! Wrote:OH WOW!!!! Didn't take much to ruffle SOMEONE'S feathers, did it??? My POINT EXACTLY!!!!! The same old pity-party about how badly you have been treated every time something doesn't go the way you want!!! So much for your ME_ME attitudes!!! Go FIGURE !!!!!

You have a pm.
Now, Now boys...Stop fighting. Athletics are about the players and coaches not the fans. I would agree that perhaps a neutral zone (court) would be in the best interests for all the schools, however, for some of the smaller schools that do not have a full size court ex: (FC, Kimper) the players defensively would absolutely wear down in a short time. I would agree that Pikeville College is a strong possibility for having the County Tournaments held each year. Perhaps we should as fans, coaches, and players families could all attend a Board meeting and give strong suggestions to them. After much persistance, comes great results...:Thumbs:
2007 -Elkhorn City (Southern Conf. team) held the County Tourny.
2008 -Mullins (Northern Conf. team) held the County Tourny.

Obviously, it is the Southern Conf. turn to host. Sounds like some people are trying to use political resources and excuses to change the rotation. By alternating, this is the only fair way. However, Pikeville College or Expo would be a neutral site for everyone. If that's not possible, Southern Conf. should host by all means. Don't know how anyone could disagree with that logic.

Good luck to ALL Pike County Teams!!
Keep this on topic.

WHEN the location of the tournament is decided, could someone please post it and notify those of us who are interested in attending?
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I'm guessing either Virgie or Belfry.

Have they had the meeting yet?If so,where's the tourn. going to be held?
wildcats88 Wrote:Have they had the meeting yet?If so,where's the tourn. going to be held?

The tournament meeting was today. It will be held at Virgie on Feb 5, 7, 9, 10.
Virgie will host the 2009 Pike County Tournament. I think it starts Feb. 5th.
what does the seeding look like for the tournament
Southern conference: Northern Conference:
1. Virgie 1. Belfry
2. Pikeville 2. Mullins/Johns Creek
3. Millard 3. Kimper
4. Dorton 4. Phelps
5. Elkhorn
6. Feds Creek
Looks more like the championship is up for grabs unlike the past 2 years where Pikeville has dominated........can't wait to watch this tournament!!:Thumbs:
As of now the tournament would look like this:

1st Round Games:
Feds Creek versus Kimper
Dorton versus Phelps
Elkhorn versus Johns Creek or Mullins (#3 Seed)

2nd Round Games:
FC/Kimper winner versus Virgie
Johns Creek/Mullins (#2 Seed) versus Millard
Dorton/Phelps winner versus Belfry
EC/JC/Mullins winner versus Pikeville
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:As of now the tournament would look like this:

1st Round Games:
Feds Creek versus Kimper
Dorton versus Phelps
Elkhorn versus Johns Creek or Mullins (#3 Seed)

2nd Round Games:
FC/Kimper winner versus Virgie
Johns Creek/Mullins (#2 Seed) versus Millard
Dorton/Phelps winner versus Belfry
EC/JC/Mullins winner versus Pikeville

When does the pairings come out?Who's in Virgie's Brackett?
wildcats88 Wrote:When does the pairings come out?Who's in Virgie's Brackett?

The bracket will be completely set on Tuesday. As of now, Virgie will be in with Feds Creek, Kimper, Johns Creek, and Millard.

The bottom would have Belfry, Dorton, Phelps, Pikeville, Elkhorn, and Mullins.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:The bracket will be completely set on Tuesday. As of now, Virgie will be in with Feds Creek, Kimper, Johns Creek, and Millard.

The bottom would have Belfry, Dorton, Phelps, Pikeville, Elkhorn, and Mullins.

Gotta love that bracket.
Should be one of the most unpredictable tournaments in many years.There are probably 5 or 6 teams that could win it if they get on a roll. I hope all of the county basketball fans come out to the games because it will be well worth the price of admission.
new o Wrote:Should be one of the most unpredictable tournaments in many years.There are probably 5 or 6 teams that could win it if they get on a roll. I hope all of the county basketball fans come out to the games because it will be well worth the price of admission.

Agreed, Virgie and Pikeville should be favored to meet in the title game though
You are not fooling anybody coach. Belfry is still the odds on favorite. Messer and co. will be hard to handle.
new o Wrote:You are not fooling anybody coach. Belfry is still the odds on favorite. Messer and co. will be hard to handle.

I agree........Pikeville will have a hard time handleing Belfry late in the tournament when they meet
The tournament could be won by several teams this year. It should be great to watch.
Belfry will first have to get by Dorton, which want be an easy task. Assuming they do, Belfry and Pikeville will go down to the wire but I don't think Pikeville can beat Belfry again. But anything can happen, one of them may get knocked off before they get a chance to meet.
i can see Pikeville beating Belfry which i have watched both games they have played and if Pikeville comes to play they can beat Belfry awith good guard play and a good defense!
i know, right? Wrote:i can see Pikeville beating Belfry which i have watched both games they have played and if Pikeville comes to play they can beat Belfry awith good guard play and a good defense!

We are as good as anyone on certain nights and can be beaten by anyone on others.

With that said Dorton, Pikeville, and Virgie are all very, very capable of beating us because they are well coached and have solid guard play, which is very important at tourney time
PikeCoTeamAnalyst Wrote:What are your thoughts as to where the MS County Basketball Tournament will be held this year. Does anyone know exactly where and when it will be held? Thoughts and opinions are welcomed... :1:

it will be at virgie middle