Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Buccaneers Fire Jon Gruden
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden has been fired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839188
Another bonehead move by an NFL team. Why in the world would they fire this man. He took them to a super bowl and I thought he was a really good coach.
Wow, Im totally shocked on this one. I never seen this coming. I really think Tampa Bay is messing up on this one. Im sure it wont take Gruden long to find a new home.
MVP2 Wrote:Wow, Im totally shocked on this one. I never seen this coming. I really think Tampa Bay is messing up on this one. Im sure it wont take Gruden long to find a new home.

I have to believe he becomes the hottest name out there. Look for a few of the teams to put on hold their current negotiations. IMO, his best job may be in New York with the Jets. But look for Scott Pioli to make a strong bid to bring him to KC with him.
Heck yea!
Mike Brown better hire him or imma stop liking the Bengals!
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Another bonehead move by an NFL team. Why in the world would they fire this man. He took them to a super bowl and I thought he was a really good coach.

Won the Super Bowl in his first season in Tampa with Tony Dungy's team. Since then the Bucs have only made the playoffs twice in six years, with a 45-51 regular season record and two first-round playoff losses in that time period.

Something happened this afternoon that convinced the Glazers that it was time for Gruden to go. Evidently (and very strangely) the 0-4 finish by the Bucs wasn't enough to do that. You would think they'd have come to that conclusion after the Bucs inexcusably lost at home to 5-11 Oakland for a fourth straight loss and missed the playoffs as a result.

Yeah, it was time for him to go.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Another bonehead move by an NFL team. Why in the world would they fire this man. He took them to a super bowl and I thought he was a really good coach.
I am shocked by this but I have to disagree with you. Ever since that Super Bowl appearance the Bucs have been dissapointing to say the least. I guess the way they finished this season was enough. Prolly work out best for both parties. Gruden will find a new home and there are plenty of solid coaches out there that Tampa can get.
I was surprised by this decision. Did the team plan who should take his place? I understand that he missed the playoffs by having his team lose in an upset, but I disagree on these teams who fire their coaches in the way they do. It could have been someone else who made the mistakes for the team, such as a coordinator, a GM, etc. that prevented them from having a better team.
I didn't see this one happening, especially after giving up 2 first round draft picks, 2 second round picks and somewhere between 4 and 6 million dollars to Oakland for his services. Hopefully, he gets another oppertunity soon because he is a good coach (maybe Oakland again).
Stupid!

Where were they before he got there?...lol

He will be picked up VERY quickly by someone.
IRISH4 Wrote:I didn't see this one happening, especially after giving up 2 first round draft picks, 2 second round picks and somewhere between 4 and 6 million dollars to Oakland for his services.

That was a long time ago. Much like the overdue firing of Shanahan, current lack of success outweighs past glory.

Ridge Runner Wrote:Stupid!

Where were they before he got there?...lol

In six years under Tony Dungy, the Bucs were 54-42 with four playoff appearances.
TomSportsHack Wrote:That was a long time ago. Much like the overdue firing of Shanahan, current lack of success outweighs past glory.

In six years under Tony Dungy, the Bucs were 54-42 with four playoff appearances.

Gruden did a great job with the guys that he inherited. I beleive he took them over the Hump that Tony just couldn't get over.
This totally surprised me, I would've never have thought that Gruden would've been fired, but looks like another good coach is looking for a job.
Gruden is my second favorite coach of all time. Would love to see the Redskins hire him and get rid of Zorn. I do like Zorn though, but would MUCH rather have Gruden! BIG MISTAKE!
For those of you still drinking Gruden's Kool Aid ...

It appears he had lost control of the team. Once that cat's out of the bag, it never goes back in.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2009/01/g...grude.html
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/article969561.ece
big mistake.
Gruden is a good coach....he has an excellent offensive mind set, I'd look for him to be an OC somewhere or try his hand in the college ranks soon.