Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tony Dungy Retires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"I'm at a point, kind of like the Apostle Paul," explained Dungy, "he said, 'If I live, it's good. If I die and go home with the Lord, it's better.'"

Dungy sounded like a man who was prepared to go home -- in this case, Dungy will go home to his wife, Lauren, and family in Tampa, as well as home in an earthly sense to do what he calls the Lord's work with various ministry outreach programs that include work with troubled youths and convicted prisoners. For Dungy, right now, it is better to walk away from the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/st...id=3827287
It will be interesting to see who takes over for him.
I really admire Tony Dungy for being an open Christian when it's not widely accepted. He's been through so much on and off the field. Turmoil in Tampa several years ago, redemption in Indy, the loss of his son. He sounds like a man that will not miss the game and won't be in discussions for future jobs. He sounds at peace.

Best of luck to Tony Dungy. Not many walk away at the top of their profession.
Tony Dungy was a great coach and even better man. He was truly a role model and inspiration to those around him and those who was a fan of the NFL.
Tony Dungy was a great coach and we be missed he went 85-27 over the 7 seasons he coached the colts and had 6 straight seasons with 12 wins as a colts fan we will miss him
jammin' jamey Wrote:I really admire Tony Dungy for being an open Christian when it's not widely accepted. He's been through so much on and off the field. Turmoil in Tampa several years ago, redemption in Indy, the loss of his son. He sounds like a man that will not miss the game and won't be in discussions for future jobs. He sounds at peace.

:Thumbs: I agree with everything ya said. However I was really getting sick of seeing this over and over again on espn. It reminded me of the coverage on Brett Farve when he was about to become a Jet. But that was like a month long Smile
jammin' jamey Wrote:I really admire Tony Dungy for being an open Christian when it's not widely accepted. He's been through so much on and off the field. Turmoil in Tampa several years ago, redemption in Indy, the loss of his son. He sounds like a man that will not miss the game and won't be in discussions for future jobs. He sounds at peace.

I admire him for this as well. Good luck to him and his family!
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:It will be interesting to see who takes over for him.

Jim Caldwell will be taking over, who has been with the Colts for 6 or 7 years as a QB coach. He was named successor a couple of years ago when Dungy began thinking about retirement.
Dungy will be missed. This man is all class. The way he handled the loss of his son was incredible. I could have never did what he did at the level he did it after such a loss. It just tells you about this man's charecter.
Sad I'm going to miss having Tony as the coach, I guess Peyton will basically be the coach next year until Coach Caldwell get get things organized lol.
Stardust Wrote:Dungy will be missed. This man is all class. The way he handled the loss of his son was incredible. I could have never did what he did at the level he did it after such a loss. It just tells you about this man's charecter.

I agree 100%.
A very good coach, and a very good person overall, and I hope he enjoys himself with his family, and I wish him the best of luck.
Class act all the way.
Since he was a former Steeler. I always pulled for Dungy to do well and he did a great job. Every organization he coached at was better after he left than before he got there. I read his book over the summer and I wouldnt have any reservations at all about letting my son play for him. That cant be said about just any coach today. Hes true in his faith in GOD and if anyone is that way they will be a winner in life.
I wonder who the Colts will go after? There are some good coaches available.
Should be a hall of famer. Great coach and coached with CLASS.
He was a great coach....never had less than 10 wins in his career at Indy. And he never yelled at the players either. Hope he has a great life after coaching. His name will be missed in the game of football.
Gosh I'll miss that man, one of the best that's for sure!
Great Coach.........But more importantly a great christian man who lives for the lord.
I'm a colts fan, and i truly admire Tony Dungy. Goodluck, I wish the best to you and your family.
caldwell is already in place to coach the team right
A class act that will be missed.
Dungy was a class act in the NFL all through his career. I he is a great coach and a even better person.