Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boone Co. 66 - Simon Kenton 49
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Boone County 66, Simon Kenton 49: Andy Earls scored 17 points, including 13 in the first half, to help lead Boone, ranked No. 2 in the Enquirer coaches' poll. Ronald Cotton added 12 points for the Rebels, who improve to 10-2.

Senior guard Langdon Barnes scored 12 points for Simon Kenton, which fell to 4-7.
Boone County (10-2) - Spaulding 3 0 6, Gabbard 1 2 4, McFarland 5 1 11, Schultz 1 0 2, Montgomery 0 2 2, Cotton 6 0 12, A. Brown 2 0 4, Popp 2 2 6, Earls 8 1 17, T. Brown 1 0 2, Totals: 29 8 66.

Simon Kenton (4-7) - Ball 1 0 2, Chambers 2 0 5, Gray 1 5 8, Basham 1 0 2, Barnes 4 3 12, bishop 2 0 4, Sorrell 4 1 11, Robe 1 0 2, Lanham 1 0 2, Baldwin 0 1 1, Totals: 17 10 49.

Boone County 15 20 19 12 66
Simon Kenton 10 11 13 15 49

3-pointers: B (none); S (Chambers, Sorrell 2, Barnes, Gray).
Congrats Boone County
Is SK down this year?
Interesting change has happened at SK. The Kenton Co. Pubilic schools are open for any student to go to any pubilic school in the County that they wish to go to without paying a tuition for being out of District. The public schools are Holmes, Simon Kenton, Scott, Dixie, Beechwood, Lloyd and Ludlow. Players who specilize in a sport tend to follow the best coaches.

Anyone familiar with NKY sports would know that SK was very good in Basketball over the years. Now, Scott and Beechwood are the rising schools for this sport, thus you now see parents driving their kids cross county just to get a better chance at winning.

I don't like it, but it's the way it is in that county. Right now, SK is losing Basketball players to better BBall schools. Obviously, if the trend continues and SK does not find themselves on the winning end, then when will SK ever recover.
Stardust Wrote:Interesting change has happened at SK. The Kenton Co. Pubilic schools are open for any student to go to any pubilic school in the County that they wish to go to without paying a tuition for being out of District. The public schools are Holmes, Simon Kenton, Scott, Dixie, Beechwood, Lloyd and Ludlow. Players who specilize in a sport tend to follow the best coaches.

Anyone familiar with NKY sports would know that SK was very good in Basketball over the years. Now, Scott and Beechwood are the rising schools for this sport, thus you now see parents driving their kids cross county just to get a better chance at winning.

I don't like it, but it's the way it is in that county. Right now, SK is losing Basketball players to better BBall schools. Obviously, if the trend continues and SK does not find themselves on the winning end, then when will SK ever recover.

Holmes, Ludlow, Beechwood and Lloyd are are all independent districts; not part of the Kenton County School District. So kids that live in those independent districts can go to any high school within Kenton County?

I thought only the Kenton County School District was like that. I don't know, just asking.
goodguy Wrote:Holmes, Ludlow, Beechwood and Lloyd are are all independent districts; not part of the Kenton County School District. So kids that live in those independent districts can go to any high school within Kenton County?

I thought only the Kenton County School District was like that. I don't know, just asking.

It's a great question and one that I will verify before commiting myself. But I am positive about two individuals who live in the Simon Kenton District that go to another school in Kenton Co., one to Beechwood one to Scott. I'm positive that the one going to Scott did not pay any tuition, I will verify the one that went to Beechwood. But, in either case, there were no hardships required to go outside of their School District.

I'd rather be careful in even calling it a school district if you can freely go to the school of your choice. Obviously there is Districting for bussing purposes, but since you can go to any school, but if no busing service to you school you can freely transport your own child.
That may explain why SK is losing ground in roundball and Beechwood is gaining ground on the hardwood. Some of the the traditional football powerhouses are now starting to become basketball powerhouses. This may be one factor in explaining this observation of mine.
EKY Sportster Wrote:That may explain why SK is losing ground in roundball and Beechwood is gaining ground on the hardwood. Some of the the traditional football powerhouses are now starting to become basketball powerhouses. This may be one factor in explaining this observation of mine.

That's actually an excellet observation. We have seen it recently with Highlands consistency in Basketball. HHS has had their years when a Scott Draud or "Mr. Baketball" Ross Neltner came through, but in each of those instances, once they graduated, the Birds baskebtall would suffer. Now they are consistently putting solid Basketball teams on the floor each year.

In the Kenton Co. area, there has certainly been a shif of athletes that are coming to Beechwood. Obvious is the Football, but now you are seeing cross country travel, as well as out of county transfers to the Tigers for Basketball and Baseball. For a small school, Beechwood is quickly becming a sports powerhouse in NKY.