Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Morton Combs Passes Away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Legendary basketball player and coach Morton Combs, 96, has passed away. Morton was a member of the 1932 Hazard State Championship team. He was actually the player who scored the winning basket for Hazard to beat Louisville Male. Morton was probably the last surviving member of that Hazard team. He was also the coach of Carr Creek when they won the state title in 1956. Knott Co's Morton Combs Athletic Center was named in his honor. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this great man.

[Image: IMG_0475_121932BasketballTeam-1.jpg]
1932 State Champs
Great person!! I really hate to hear this!! God Bless and my prayers go out to the family!!
His family will be in my prayers!

uk96

He did alot for basketball in Eastern Ky. He also had a son that played professional basketball...
His family will be in my prayers! He was such an inspiration.
Our prayers are with his family!!!
I remember coach Combs coming into the Johnson Central locker room in 1975 and talking to us just before our game with Knott Co. Central. I can still remember that visit. He was truly an eastern Kentucky legend. Condolences to his family.
The Legend will be missed.
News of Combs passing away really bothers me alot. After reading a book over Carr Creek, I learned just what type of a person he really was and how he was there for the kids. The Combs' family will be in my prayers. Basketball has lost such a beloved figure.
My heart goes out to his family as well as his extended Bulldogs family as well.
My thoughts and prayers are with the family, he will be missed by everyone at KCC, Hazard, and throughout. He was very special to us all.
My thoughts and prayers to the family.
You can read more about Mr. Combs here....

http://www.wsgs.com/morton_combs.htm