Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne vs Shelby Valley 1-9-09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is everyone's prediction & how will Coach Jr Newsome stop Valley?
I don't think Coach Newsome can do anything to stop Valley from executing on the offensive end. Valley just has too much talent and their also playing on their home floor.

Valley by 20+.

Good luck to both teams!
Are you kidding. Maybe if Valley shoots less than 20% and plays terrible def. BL might get to within 10........
IMO, Adams has poor footwork when he gets the ball, so keep a body against his legs, keep a man in Hatfield's face all night, make him work to get the ball and pressure him on his shot, double team Justice on his penetrating drives, and if he gives Bryant the kickout, let Logan take the shot. The problem that BL will have, is Newsome. A box with a chaser defense might work better than a 2-3 or 3-2 zone. I am sure that the SV coach has seen many different defenses run against him in the out of state tournaments, so Newsome will have to make adjustments by sliding into different looks all through the game. Should be an interesting game to watch. May the best team win.
KentuckyGent44 Wrote:IMO, Adams has poor footwork when he gets the ball, so keep a body against his legs, keep a man in Hatfield's face all night, make him work to get the ball and pressure him on his shot, double team Justice on his penetrating drives, and if he gives Bryant the kickout, let Logan take the shot. The problem that BL will have, is Newsome. A box with a chaser defense might work better than a 2-3 or 3-2 zone. I am sure that the SV coach has seen many different defenses run against him in the out of state tournaments, so Newsome will have to make adjustments by sliding into different looks all through the game. Should be an interesting game to watch. May the best team win.
So you think the key to this game is to stop Newsome? Don't get me wrong Tyler is a really good player, but thats a bit rediculous. I think everyone knows that if you cut the head off the body will die. Elisha is the head of the Shelby Valley snake. Too bad BL doesn't have anybody up to the task of holding him down. Also I think you would get burnt if you're strategy is to let Logan shoot open 3's. SV proves a point and wins by 25-30. I'll say 82-54.
InstantOffense Wrote:So you think the key to this game is to stop Newsome? Don't get me wrong Tyler is a really good player, but thats a bit rediculous. I think everyone knows that if you cut the head off the body will die. Elisha is the head of the Shelby Valley snake. Too bad BL doesn't have anybody up to the task of holding him down. Also I think you would get burnt if you're strategy is to let Logan shoot open 3's. SV proves a point and wins by 25-30. I'll say 82-54.

I dont think that anyone can match up with SV 5 on 5. I also believe that no one player can guard Justice, therefore you must take away as much offensive scoring as possible with what you have in players on your team. I would see if Logan was hitting his shots, then make an adjustment. But the main scorers are the one that you try to keep low if possible. I think that SV has one heck of a team, one that most coaches will not have a game plan to win. Do I think that SV will win: yes, and probably by a good margin. What would you do if you were the coach of BL?
KentuckyGent44 Wrote:I dont think that anyone can match up with SV 5 on 5. I also believe that no one player can guard Justice, therefore you must take away as much offensive scoring as possible with what you have in players on your team. I would see if Logan was hitting his shots, then make an adjustment. But the main scorers are the one that you try to keep low if possible. I think that SV has one heck of a team, one that most coaches will not have a game plan to win. Do I think that SV will win: yes, and probably by a good margin. What would you do if you were the coach of BL?

Honestly, I would try to pack in a 2-3 zone get a hand up on the shooters and try not too let them get anything going inside the arc. I think your best bet is too just hope that they won't shoot well. If they do, well then there is nothing you can do anyway. Also I would obviously try to slow the game down, but not so much that BL turns it over before they get a shot off. Sometimes when teams try to slow down they never try to score and just end up losing the ball. I am certainly a SV fan but with BL's squad I think that is their best shot. I don't think there is any chance of SV losing this game, but that is BL's best bet at keeping it close. I think either way the SV pressure will just be way too much.
Shelby Valley by 20-25.
Offensively, BL better be able to shoot the 3 without hesitation. Booher doesn't like to come out of the matchup zone very often. If they can hit some threes they may be able to stay within striking distance.
I would like to see SV put Tackett and Adams on the floor together more often, that has created numorous problems for defenses they have faced.
Defensively, BL has to be scrappy and physical. If they play zone, which I'm sure they will, they had better move quick and contest every shot.
Has EJ had a good practice this week? I am wondering if his shooting is back to normal. I am a big fan and really enjoy watching him play.
SV
KentuckyGent44 Wrote:Has EJ had a good practice this week? I am wondering if his shooting is back to normal.

I think for SV his penetration and defensive aggression are more of an issue. He was very hesitant against East Rigdge and I think that was a major factor in the tempo of the game.
The King Wrote:I think for SV his penetration and defensive aggression are more of an issue. He was very hesitant against East Rigdge and I think that was a major factor in the tempo of the game.

Going up for a jumpshot off the dribble, Justice makes the penetration a two prong attack. If the defense backs off, the jumpshot; if the defensive player tries to stay with Justice, EJ usually gets by his man and creates a problem for the helper defense. The lop to Hatfield or Adams or Tackett, two points and most of the time, a foul called.
sv by 26
KentuckyGent44 Wrote:Going up for a jumpshot off the dribble, Justice makes the penetration a two prong attack. If the defense backs off, the jumpshot; if the defensive player tries to stay with Justice, EJ usually gets by his man and creates a problem for the helper defense. The lop to Hatfield or Adams or Tackett, two points and most of the time, a foul called.

Exactly. This is Valley's game most of the time.
This game will air on 93.1 WDHR and online at www.wdhr.com
Good comments from everyone on this subject. Lots of action on any Shelby Valley thread, just shows the interest in this team, this should be the best team Shelby Valley has ever had if we can only get Elisha back to 100%, and no one else gets hurt then there is no limit to how far we can go in the state tournament. I thought that was a really good idea to play Curby Tackett and Adams together, not too many high school teams can deal with that kind of height but we have to get them the ball and that is why Justice is so valuable.
Shelby Valley by 15
Valley by 20+ easy.
dortonite Wrote:Good comments from everyone on this subject. Lots of action on any Shelby Valley thread, just shows the interest in this team, this should be the best team Shelby Valley has ever had if we can only get Elisha back to 100%, and no one else gets hurt then there is no limit to how far we can go in the state tournament. I thought that was a really good idea to play Curby Tackett and Adams together, not too many high school teams can deal with that kind of height but we have to get them the ball and that is why Justice is so valuable.

I am sure that SV will meet a lot of height in the teams downstate and it would be a good idea for Adams and Tackett to learn to work off of each other now. One problem would be if Adams got into foul trouble early and had to sit out a long time. Hopefully that wont be the case. I am sure that all of Eastern Kentucky will be rooting for SV if how and when they go to the state finals this year. It looks like that they have the best chance to do it in the 15th.
dortonite Wrote:Good comments from everyone on this subject. Lots of action on any Shelby Valley thread, just shows the interest in this team, this should be the best team Shelby Valley has ever had if we can only get Elisha back to 100%, and no one else gets hurt then there is no limit to how far we can go in the state tournament. I thought that was a really good idea to play Curby Tackett and Adams together, not too many high school teams can deal with that kind of height but we have to get them the ball and that is why Justice is so valuable.

Shouldn't you be saying "IF" they make to the state tournament. I understand they by far have the best shot of anyone else in the 15th region with all of their talent.

I might add that they probably will win the region and make some noise at Rupp. But, I wouldn't for sure declare them as the 15th region winners yet.
Especially if Elisha Justice's health continues to limit his play.
Great responses, I have enjoyed reading. Thanks. I know E. Justice has been down, but what is wrong? I heard he had a shoulder injury, is that correct? If so maybe ge will be able to rest some more against this BL team.
B-Ball#1TheFan Wrote:Great responses, I have enjoyed reading. Thanks. I know E. Justice has been down, but what is wrong? I heard he had a shoulder injury, is that correct? If so maybe ge will be able to rest some more against this BL team.

That is correct and Justice will get some rest tonight as Valley prevails against the Bobcats without needing him.