Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Corbin 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who is Corbin losing and who is returning for the 2009 football season? How do they look as a competitor in the 2A class?
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:Who is Corbin losing and who is returning for the 2009 football season? How do they look as a competitor in the 2A class?

I think that they have to really beef up their schedule if they want to compete with NCC. They don't play enough powerhouses that they should be playing.
yeh corbin does need to be playin better teams. But they should have a power house. It seems like they always do.
Not sure what it is but you never hear a lot about corbin seems like they are always real good, but never really gets a lot of publicity. Maybe that's how they like it?
Patriot Wrote:Not sure what it is but you never hear a lot about corbin seems like they are always real good, but never really gets a lot of publicity. Maybe that's how they like it?

Corbin got a lot of PR this year. WYMT came down several times and they were highlighted nearly every Friday on Sports Overtime. Local Media covered them well. Not sure what coverage you are talking about though.
I must not have paid much attention, I just can't remember Corbin getting much hype. Maybe because I didn't pay a lot of attention to 2A but I still try to follow all the mountain teams though.
Alot of it is how tough your opponent is, playing Bardstown Beth. is not getting you much PR time. Wymt covers everyone and if you play a good schedule they will cover you much more.
redstorm Wrote:Alot of it is how tough your opponent is, playing Bardstown Beth. is not getting you much PR time. Wymt covers everyone and if you play a good schedule they will cover you much more.

I assume WYMT felt are schedule was pretty good since we were covered nearly every week. Not saying it couldn't be tougher---but we played some pretty decent teams throughout the season. Many, many of the teams made it deep into their prospective play-offs. Our district schedule cannot be altered so we cannot help it if some of those teams were down this year.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:I assume WYMT felt are schedule was pretty good since we were covered nearly every week. Not saying it couldn't be tougher---but we played some pretty decent teams throughout the season. Many, many of the teams made it deep into their prospective play-offs. Our district schedule cannot be altered so we cannot help it if some of those teams were down this year.

They could play Bell Co they are close. If they would have played Bell this year they may have beaten NCC who knows.
Amped 88 Wrote:They could play Bell Co they are close. If they would have played Bell this year they may have beaten NCC who knows.

The coaches (from both teams) won't schedule a game with each otherl due to some previously unresolved issues . . . don't know the specifics but this has been on going for a few years.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:The coaches (from both teams) won't schedule a game with each otherl due to some previously unresolved issues . . . don't know the specifics but this has been on going for a few years.

I don't think it is between both coaches just one. Coach Jewell I think is the one who won't shedule a game.
Caleb Watkins will be a beast at RB but what else do they have coming back and is it enough for them to improve in 2009?
Ryan Fritts should be coming back primed and ready to go. Everyone is working hard in the weight room. The QB position is up for grabs and we have some capable boys that could set up into that position. We are looking forward to next year all ready.
I think Corbin will have to prove in their first couple of games that they will be as good as they were last season. With the QB position up for grabs, it's hard to tell exactly how they will fair next season.

I think they will have a similar season to last year winning another regional championship.
Not much discussion in this thread, huh? That's sort of shocking. Where are all of the Redhound's?

Caleb Watkins will shine in '09. As someone already said, he will be an absolute beast at running back.

Anyone heard anything on the quarterback situation? Who is in contention for the starting job? How is Corbin doing this summer?

The last time I kept up with Corbin football closely was in the '80's. Now those were some good teams.

Good luck to the Redhounds in '09.
So will Corbin be as good as last year?
richardhead Wrote:So will Corbin be as good as last year?

I don't think this upcoming seasons team will be as good as their '08 team, but IMO they'll still make it to either region or state-semi's in the playoffs.
I think The Hounds will be very similar to last years team. They should win 9 or 10 games. The biggest ? will be the o line because if they can run block the hounds may be unstoppable. The "D"will be good, very quick,and aggressive. The corners are possibly the best in the mountains. Alot of talk here is the QB, but it shouldn't matter. All he should have to do is hand it off to any of the 4 backs, Watkins,Fritts,Taylor,or Foley.
Caleb Watkins was invited to the Rivals Top Prospect camp this coming weekend at the University of Oklahoma. His invitation was a result of him being one of the top 15 players regardless of position in the Midwest region of the Rivals Ultimate 100.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:Caleb Watkins was invited to the Rivals Top Prospect camp this coming weekend at the University of Oklahoma. His invitation was a result of him being one of the top 15 players regardless of position in the Midwest region of the Rivals Ultimate 100.

Hey bigreddawg who was the last Division 1 player from Corbin,that went on a full scholarship not as a walk on, and actually played for a major college
cherokee Wrote:Hey bigreddawg who was the last Division 1 player from Corbin,that went on a full scholarship not as a walk on, and actually played for a major college

Not sure. Do you know?
cherokee Wrote:Hey bigreddawg who was the last Division 1 player from Corbin,that went on a full scholarship not as a walk on, and actually played for a major college

Nolan DeVaughn is the last one I recall who went Div-1 and stuck it out. He started 2 years at center for UK sometime around 1999-2001.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Nolan DeVaughn is the last one I recall who went Div-1 and stuck it out. He started 2 years at center for UK sometime around 1999-2001.

yes this is the only one I can think of, he played for Mike Whitaker when he coached at Corbin.
Corbin has actually had a few players that were definite D-1 caliber players but luck has not been on the good side of former Redhounds.

Zac Prewitt was in the Class of 99 and went to Morehead. He definitely could have played if not for a history of concussions.

Graham Trimble went to Eastern from the class of 99.

Jon Sizemore didn't have the grades but He could have been a great D1 player.

Jarrod Lawson went to UK as a walk on in 2004. The reason behind him walking on was not scoring high on the ACT scores. UK caught wind that he had committed to WKU and gave the scholarship away. Once everything was lined out, Jarrod wound up at UK. Rich Brooks mentioned on the radio that Jarrod would be starting at fullback as a true freshman based on practice but didn't feel fair pulling a redshirt off by midseason. After the season, Jarrod tore his ACL very badly.

Stephen Cook was a running back that could have wrote his ticket. In the playoffs of his Jr season, he broke his foot. Never was the same but still one of the top 25 players in KY as a Sr.
HAROLD Wrote:Corbin has actually had a few players that were definite D-1 caliber players but luck has not been on the good side of former Redhounds.

Zac Prewitt was in the Class of 99 and went to Morehead. He definitely could have played if not for a history of concussions.

Graham Trimble went to Eastern from the class of 99.

Jon Sizemore didn't have the grades but He could have been a great D1 player.

Jarrod Lawson went to UK as a walk on in 2004. The reason behind him walking on was not scoring high on the ACT scores. UK caught wind that he had committed to WKU and gave the scholarship away. Once everything was lined out, Jarrod wound up at UK. Rich Brooks mentioned on the radio that Jarrod would be starting at fullback as a true freshman based on practice but didn't feel fair pulling a redshirt off by midseason. After the season, Jarrod tore his ACL very badly.

Stephen Cook was a running back that could have wrote his ticket. In the playoffs of his Jr season, he broke his foot. Never was the same but still one of the top 25 players in KY as a Sr.

all these were good players but none of them played D-1 on a full scholarship and contributed
cherokee Wrote:all these were good players but none of them played D-1 on a full scholarship and contributed

I am really not sure what you are getting at here. Personally, I feel like any kid who gets a full scholarship to pay for his college had been successful. Not many are able to do this. The players mentioned accomplished a great deal to even be in this discussion.:confused:
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:I am really not sure what you are getting at here. Personally, I feel like any kid who gets a full scholarship to pay for his college had been successful. Not many are able to do this. The players mentioned accomplished a great deal to even be in this discussion.:confused:

The question wasn't who was in the discussion. It was who was the last Corbin player to actually sign a D1 scholarship and contribute.

Nolan Devaughn was the last player as stated by SEKYFAN.

Watkins is probably one of the better prospects Corbin has had in recent years because he can fly and has some size. If a D1 school signs him it will be as a LB/SS. He is not a college RB.
Thunder Lips Wrote:The question wasn't who was in the discussion. It was who was the last Corbin player to actually sign a D1 scholarship and contribute.

Nolan Devaughn was the last player as stated by SEKYFAN.

Watkins is probably one of the better prospects Corbin has had in recent years because he can fly and has some size. If a D1 school signs him it will be as a LB/SS. He is not a college RB.

Watkins is still on the radar of some D1 schools as SS and OLB, they still want to see some senior film and he also received an official offer from Wofford as a RB.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:I am really not sure what you are getting at here. Personally, I feel like any kid who gets a full scholarship to pay for his college had been successful. Not many are able to do this. The players mentioned accomplished a great deal to even be in this discussion.:confused:

I asked a simple question and got the correct answer, and I'm not sure what you are getting at.