Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Pikeville Coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Woodford Reserve Wrote:My point was that ur pun was classless. Its a known fact that Chapman had his problems with the AD and administration and its a known fact that he was suspended for his conduct on the field not as a teacher and not that he was a bad coach. If u claim to know information about the prior assistants that worked with the football team in the early 2000's that u speak of its not factual. Both are still teaching at the school according to the web site. My main point was that the next coach at pikeville needs to know the community, have access to raise big money from the community and be able to get along with the staff and win. I dont know who was asked to do what but I would give people resonable doubt as why they choose to coach or not to coach. I want whats best for the programs in easten ky. Pikeville had one above average back this year and no fullback to assist in the offense. I would love to see a more diverse offense and a disiplined defense with soild sp from the next coach whoever that may be. Maybe u know of the program with Jackson and Copley as head coaches what did that bring to the sucess of PHS .U embarass ur self by posting false information for someone that knows so much of the program.

You need to check your facts.
wakeup Wrote:People at Pikeville need to wake up! They haven't won it all in 20 years! Seriously get out of the past and understand that this is a different world! You will never have anything with the support some of the people have shown on here! Some adults need to quit living in the past and understand that their ambitions are hurting the kids in the school! Do you really think they were more talented than Hazard this year.... NO! Quit living in a dream world. There will be years that they should win the Region but this past was not one of them.

People need to quit saying Pikeville sucks just cause they got beat by 4A schools and barely beat Allen Central (who had a good team this year). Next year they could go 13-0. Yes, the community does expect an outstanding season every year from PHS but thats hard to do. In my book this year was another. Id like to see other schools have a coach step up and do as well as they did
I've heard some interesting and familiar names tied to the coaching position at Pikeville.

I'm not saying who or where I heard it but it would be interesting.
Pikeville has hit a stretch where the talent is just not there. That's hard for people to admit, but it's the truth. I don't think any coach could have made a difference in the Hazard game. You either have the horses or you don't. With football, alot of the problems they are experiencing now is a direct result of how their youth program was neglected for so long. Their low participation in football is partly due to kids picking up on soccer at such an early age. Just this year their youth program was put back on the right track.
I'm not trying to offend anyone or anything, but we can see this in every sport at Pikeville. I mean the basketball team didn't even make it out of the district last year and lost to to Hazard's basketball team by 44 points this year. There are some decent athletes in the freshmen class, but one class will not make that much of a difference in all the programs. I also look for some of those athletes to transfer out very soon, according to some of their parents.
Their boys middle school teams are average at best. I have been told there are only 33 boys in the 8th grade. with those kind of numbers, I wouldn't look for anything exceptional in the next five years or so.
Being a fine academic institution is fine and dandy, but you can't keep neglecting athletics year in and year out and then expect some kind of different outcome.
Heard Mike Jones is wanting the job. Great coach, went to Estill County and built a good program there. Finished 5th in the state and let the state in rushing 3 out of the last 6 years. He took a Estill County Program that couldn't beat eggs and put them on the map.
Dr. Truth Wrote:Heard Mike Jones is wanting the job. Great coach, went to Estill County and built a good program there. Finished 5th in the state and let the state in rushing 3 out of the last 6 years. He took a Estill County Program that couldn't beat eggs and put them on the map.

How do you finish 5th in the state?
:o sorry, ranked 5th in their class at the end of the season.
MR. Slate Wrote:How do you finish 5th in the state?
SportsKing Wrote:Pikeville has hit a stretch where the talent is just not there. That's hard for people to admit, but it's the truth. I don't think any coach could have made a difference in the Hazard game. You either have the horses or you don't. With football, alot of the problems they are experiencing now is a direct result of how their youth program was neglected for so long. Their low participation in football is partly due to kids picking up on soccer at such an early age. Just this year their youth program was put back on the right track.
I'm not trying to offend anyone or anything, but we can see this in every sport at Pikeville. I mean the basketball team didn't even make it out of the district last year and lost to to Hazard's basketball team by 44 points this year. There are some decent athletes in the freshmen class, but one class will not make that much of a difference in all the programs. I also look for some of those athletes to transfer out very soon, according to some of their parents.
Their boys middle school teams are average at best. I have been told there are only 33 boys in the 8th grade. with those kind of numbers, I wouldn't look for anything exceptional in the next five years or so.
Being a fine academic institution is fine and dandy, but you can't keep neglecting athletics year in and year out and then expect some kind of different outcome.

Plenty of talent, plenty of excuses. Watch how fast a top-notch coach turns it around at Pikeville!:argue:
jetpilot Wrote:Plenty of talent, plenty of excuses. Watch how fast a top-notch coach turns it around at Pikeville!:argue:
I know it doesnt happen much but I agree with you. Plenty of talent roaming the halls at the school that dont play football right now. I believe the right coach could get them out.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I know it doesnt happen much but I agree with you. Plenty of talent roaming the halls at the school that dont play football right now. I believe the right coach could get them out.

Totally agree...
You can sit here and name every great young coach in the country to coach Pikeville, but who would have more passion and give everything they got to make sure Pikeville tradition was restored ? I will tell you who. A home town boy who watched his dad win three state titles, a kid who grew up and played for the panthers a kid that has put blood, sweat and tears into that program for years. Your answer is Ben Howard. But your problem is that he is totally happy at LCC. Sorry Panthers Ben is a Cougar now!!!! Cougar rama
jetpilot Wrote:Plenty of talent, plenty of excuses. Watch how fast a top-notch coach turns it around at Pikeville!:argue:

Maybe, still a tuff task for whoever the new coach may be. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I for one, hope they get Howard in the building, both of them. From what I'm hearing lately, it just might happen.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:In a watered down Class A, Pikeville should expect to WIN the regional championship Every year.

Anything less shouldn't be good enough for the players either.

In a watered down school at PHS where no one has a BACKBONE!!, The only thing that wasn't good enough for the players is the low life hand WE were dealt with. OUR Coach was done dirty, and you know this FOX[B][/B] HAIL PIKEVILLE !!... You know the rest.
WKandinsky Wrote:In a watered down school at PHS where no one has a BACKBONE!!, The only thing that wasn't good enough for the players is the low life hand WE were dealt with. OUR Coach was done dirty, and you know this FOX[B][/B] HAIL PIKEVILLE !!... You know the rest.
Look I know you players are the ones that have ultimately suffered over this. Copely will land on his feet Im sure. Just be patient and know that efforts are being put into place where these wrongs WILL be made right.
Hate to see copley go. Great coach taught me quite a bit. Gravy and rest of the phs staff all great coaches.

and oh yea. there is talent still left at pikeville :Thumbs:
Keep it on topic or this thread will be closed.
It's easier for the Pikeville administration and community to blame the lack of success from the football program on the coaches rather than the drop in talent. That way they don't have to face the fact that they are currently not a top tier program.
I have heard that it could be a coach that has coached there before,and will bring in his own coaching staff,just might be the best for a good program dont you think,having his own coaching staff with his views on how he wants his team playing and knows his plays.
Hillard still has his principalship doesn't he?.........HHHMMM! It may be coming back around already. I think Ben and Hillard will be your next coaches at Pikeville. I would love to see this happen. It would be the most logical move. They should have always been at Pikeville and things wouldn't be where they are right now. Gosh, I hope they get in! Hillard is the most demanding coach I've ever been around or played for.
Im telling you chris mcnamee is the next coach, wait and see
Under what circumstances did McNamee leave in the first place? Fired? Resigned?
Either McNamee or one of the Howard's would be great choices.
betsylaynealum Wrote:Im telling you chris mcnamee is the next coach, wait and see
betsylaynealum Wrote:Yogi is a great coach, look what he did at Matewan.

ROFL

Sure, Matewan has won some football games, but it wasn't because of Yogi. The community in Matewan lives for football. It's all they know outside of mining. It's all the kids have to do in that community, unless they want to do nothing. The kids are raised from an early age to want to be a Tiger, to have pride in it, to fight for it. Their parents give them a bottle in one hand and a football in the other. Their first pair of shoes are cleats...

Yogi is not a good coach. And he has other problems which I won't discuss, as I've already gotten a warning for them, and I just really don't think I need to cover them here. Plus, he'd mix with Pikeville like warm buttermilk and cold pepsi... so would his style of football.
Dr. Truth Wrote:Heard Mike Jones is wanting the job. Great coach, went to Estill County and built a good program there. Finished 5th in the state and let the state in rushing 3 out of the last 6 years. He took a Estill County Program that couldn't beat eggs and put them on the map.

He would be a perfect hire for Pikeville. He would get that runnin' game going and his style is very hard to defend. My advice to the admin. at Pikeville would be to get coach Mike Jones while you can if he is interested. That double wing would dominate that district.
P.C.Defense Wrote:He would be a perfect hire for Pikeville. He would get that runnin' game going and his style is very hard to defend. My advice to the admin. at Pikeville would be to get coach Mike Jones while you can if he is interested. That double wing would dominate that district.

His double wing is tough to defend. Even if the talent level is that great. Its not real flashy but it does the job.
FBALL Wrote:His double wing is tough to defend. Even if the talent level is that great. Its not real flashy but it does the job.

You are kidding are you. That stuff is a joke. Ask Breathitt Co. how to defend it.
Who will run the ball for pville?
P.C.Defense Wrote:He would be a perfect hire for Pikeville. He would get that runnin' game going and his style is very hard to defend. My advice to the admin. at Pikeville would be to get coach Mike Jones while you can if he is interested. That double wing would dominate that district.

A good Junior Youth Leage could dominate this district. We had our share of the wing offense with Jackson. Still trying to figure out how he wasted so much talent with it. Would love to see a open spread like when Howell and Mac were here with a solid running game .
State Champs Wrote:You are kidding are you. That stuff is a joke. Ask Breathitt Co. how to defend it.

No, I'm not kidding. As I recall Estill County almost beat Breathitt County the first time the two played.

That offense does more than put points on the board. It is a human wedge that picks up small chunks of yardage and keeps the clock moving against more talented teams. It shortens the game.

It also works if you have more talent than your opponents. Against lesser teams those 3 and 4 yard gains eventually lead to bigger plays.

It helps keep the opponents offense off of the field. Its not real exciting but it is a smart, fundamental way to approach the game of football.
FBALL Wrote:No, I'm not kidding. As I recall Estill County almost beat Breathitt County the first time the two played.

That offense does more than put points on the board. It is a human wedge that picks up small chunks of yardage and keeps the clock moving against more talented teams. It shortens the game.

It also works if you have more talent than your opponents. Against lesser teams those 3 and 4 yard gains eventually lead to bigger plays.

It helps keep the opponents offense off of the field. Its not real exciting but it is a smart, fundamental way to approach the game of football.

The talent Estill had they should had beat Breathitt both games.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14