Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Where are all the NaySayers now???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Fan Wrote:I am tickled to death for him would love to be in his shoes right now .Lets be realistic do you honestly think he is even in the middle of the road as far as being a SEC caliber guard ? He wasnt being pessimistic he was stating basically what the majority of fans think get away from Meeks and UK has not got much in the guard line .Dont get me wrong thay are relentless workers and the will is there but the talents not .

I was mainly talking about your comment anyway
I was happy that Landon Slone walked on at Kentucky. I'm even happier that he's getting quality minutes and producing for the team. I love to see mountain kids do well.
You are so right with your comment "House" and Gillispie is giving him more playing time as he sees his play and hustle. Let's not get negative when UK's wins are mounting up and Slone is a major part of this. Go Slone, Go Big Blue, and I will say :Go Paintsville also.
Jodie Meeks also had some nice things to say about Slone in the post game presser.

On Landon being a spark on the 36-8 run…
“I agree with that. Coach put him in and he always gives us a spark in practice. He had open shots and would do anything he can to help us. When coach put him in, he played great defense and knocked in a couple shots for us. He gives a great effort every time he is in. Landon's a great guy to have on the team, he'd do anything to help us win.”

On the defensive effort…
“I thought we were great in that stretch. Landon gave us a spark and started that run of pressuring their point guard. He hit a couple shots and we fed off that and ran away with it. I think once Landon gave us the spark off the bench, everybody played harder and gave more effort. I think it definitely enforces that defense is the best offense because when you're getting steals and getting wide open shots and lay-ups in transition, it helps you mentally thinking you can do well.”

I'm glad that the players, especially Meeks, see how much he has meant the last two games for the Cats, and hopefully some people will begin to agree with them. If they see it then why can't some of the fans.
allseasonfan Wrote:Not taking anything away from the kid, but with Slone having to play I think shows how much UK really is down. I am happy for him, but realistically I think UK is in major trouble. I am afraid Louisville is gonna give us a major beatdown if we are not careful.

Are you serious? Please think about what you say before you say it. We have 3 losses on the year, VMI, which everyone knows if we played them again what would happen. We played UNC as tough as anyone on their schedule, and they've played some solid teams. And Miami, which I believe if we played them again it would be a different outcome, especially with the way Meeks play in that one. I'd also like to know what Louisville has done that makes them so good?
I admit, I didn't think he'd get time like this at UK. I knew he would play D-1 and get in the games, but I didn't see him performing this well as a walk on. Good job Landon.
blackcat Wrote:Are you serious? Please think about what you say before you say it. We have 3 losses on the year, VMI, which everyone knows if we played them again what would happen. We played UNC as tough as anyone on their schedule, and they've played some solid teams. And Miami, which I believe if we played them again it would be a different outcome, especially with the way Meeks play in that one. I'd also like to know what Louisville has done that makes them so good?

I agree with you I just dont know why people think Kentucky is falling when they are almost about 85% to getting back to the Kentucky everyone knows.:rockon:
herd_fan_1 Wrote:I agree with you I just dont know why people think Kentucky is falling when they are almost about 85% to getting back to the Kentucky everyone knows.:rockon:

I'd like to know why people think that also???
I'm glad to see him play.
I think it's hilarious reading comments saying that UK is in trouble because they are playing Porter and Slone. Between the two, they had 20 points, 5 assists, 7 rebounds, and 2 steals. They shot a combined 55% from the field and 45% from three. These two are nowhere near the stars on the team, but if you can get 2 walkon caliber players to come in and give you those stats, how can you not be pleased? Also, one thing the stat sheet doesn't show is the hustle and grittyness these 2 played with tonight. Slone's hustle and determination is what gets the crowd and team fired up.

Now, do I think Slone is an SEC caliber guard? Not to the extent of being athletic. Do I think he could match up defensively with most guards (excluding PG's) in the SEC? You darn right. You have to realize that Central Michigan and Florida Atlantic may not be major D1 schools, but they do court black PG's who Landon has come in and shut down. We know the PG's off of each of the past 2 teams UK has played has been quicker than Landon, but Landon has played solid fundamental defense and kept his man in front of him. That's all you can ask for as a coach.

Therefore, I see Landon getting serious minutes against UL and against the SEC.
Concerning the matter as whether or not Landon is an SEC caliber player, who would have thought that Deron Feldhaus, Richie Farmer, and John Pelphrey were true SEC caliber players, especially this early in their careers? One thing Landon has that you can't teach is the heart of a lion. There is a difference in players who are persuaded to come to UK and players who would walk to Lexington to play for the blue and white. Landon is one of those who would have walked. You can't coach that, you can't teach that. That comes naturally, and that is why that he will improve and be a major contributor to UK basketball before he leaves.
Shady Grady Wrote:Concerning the matter as whether or not Landon is an SEC caliber player, who would have thought that Deron Feldhaus, Richie Farmer, and John Pelphrey were true SEC caliber players, especially this early in their careers? One thing Landon has that you can't teach is the heart of a lion. There is a difference in players who are persuaded to come to UK and players who would walk to Lexington to play for the blue and white. Landon is one of those who would have walked. You can't coach that, you can't teach that. That comes naturally, and that is why that he will improve and be a major contributor to UK basketball before he leaves.

Exactly, and I think BCG wants this to rub off on some of his other players.
Shady Grady Wrote:Concerning the matter as whether or not Landon is an SEC caliber player, who would have thought that Deron Feldhaus, Richie Farmer, and John Pelphrey were true SEC caliber players, especially this early in their careers? One thing Landon has that you can't teach is the heart of a lion. There is a difference in players who are persuaded to come to UK and players who would walk to Lexington to play for the blue and white. Landon is one of those who would have walked. You can't coach that, you can't teach that. That comes naturally, and that is why that he will improve and be a major contributor to UK basketball before he leaves.

That's exactly right. Landon plays his heart out every second he's on that floor!
Landon is doing great, Can't be more proud of him, He will see alot more playing time. He is repersenting us great.. Keep it up!!!
NYY10 Wrote:Landon is doing great, Can't be more proud of him, He will see alot more playing time. He is repersenting us great.. Keep it up!!!
What is this "us" crap? Us is not Duke. Now disappear Devil. Smile
BCF4L Wrote:What is this "us" crap? Us is not Duke. Now disappear Devil. Smile

:lmao: ^^^^^^^^:lmao: ^^^^:lmao: ^^^darn Pukies
Bengal4Life Wrote:I'd like to know why people think that also???

Because there probally all pukiesSmile
blackcat Wrote:Exactly, and I think BCG wants this to rub off on some of his other players.

Good point. I bet Gillespie would be in heaven if the other guys on the team would hustle half as much as Landon...
:thumpsup:

If BG could get the heart of Landon into all of the other players, just imagine how good UK could be. Landon may not necessarily be a major D1 talent coming out of high school, but he has plenty enough talent to get a lot of PT in the SEC. Effort and heart mixed with some talent will take you further than schollies that could care less about the UK tradition or won't put out the effort because they think they are too good! Landon knows what he can do and what he can't, he plays smart, he knows that the harder he works the more he can make up the talent gap, he can shoot as good as anyone else on the team, and last but certainly not least - he knows what UK basketball means!!! Hopefully he will keep the effort level up and see lots more PT!
Nice little write up in today's Courier Journal about Landon last night.

Central Michigan (3-9) hoped to replicate Rupp Arena stunners like VMI, Gardner-Webb and San Diego. The Chippewas led 13-4 and 15-6, but it was too much UK defense, too much Jodie Meeks (23 points) and too much Landon Slone.

When Central Michigan coach Ernie Ziegler read the scouting report on the Wildcats, it's doubtful that Slone was mentioned. Most of the pregame buzz surrounded DeAndre Liggins making his first start. But Slone, a considerably less-heralded fellow freshman, upstaged him.

Slone tied his career high with eights points -- all in the first half -- and helped provide the hustle that helped the Wildcats rally.

"He contributed a lot," Meeks said. "We were out of sync a little bit in the first half early. But he came in and gave us a great spark off the bench, playing defense and hitting a couple of shots for us. I'm proud of him for that."

During UK's 76-69 victory over Florida Atlantic on Saturday, Slone saw a season-high 25 minutes.

He played one minute less last night with a bigger role. With UK down 15-6, Slone scored five straight points. The Paintsville, Ky., native also had a three-pointer during the 23-4 run and led UK with five first-half rebounds.

When he briefly left the game halfway through the first half, Slone received a hearty ovation from the crowd.

He finished the game 3-of-5 shooting after making 1 of 5 on Saturday.

"It was great," he said. "I felt a lot more like myself. I felt a lot more comfortable not only with my shot but with my game overall. My high school coach and Coach Gillispie always say that your defense will lead to your offense."

Added Gillispie: "He was the best guy at pressuring the ball and making some extra-effort plays. He got us going a little bit, and they started missing."
BCF4L Wrote:What is this "us" crap? Us is not Duke. Now disappear Devil. Smile

Us in the Mountains:Cheerlead :Cheerlead :Cheerlead :Cheerlead
HAHAHAAH
NYY10 Wrote:Us in the Mountains:Cheerlead :Cheerlead :Cheerlead :Cheerlead
HAHAHAAH
I was hoping you were converting but I guess I was wrong. Sad
I'm very happy for Slone, but naysayers :zzz:
Smile
BCF4L Wrote:I was hoping you were converting but I guess I was wrong. Sad

haha, I dont have anything againts UK, i like them. I just love Duke lol, if you saw what I had tattoo on my leg you would probably cut it off tho Smile
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I remember not too long ago right after the boys high school sweet sixteen a lot of posts that said Landon Slone needed to go NAIA and he would never see the any type of playing time the whole time he was at UK. Now as a freshman he has seen a good amount of time the past few games. He has proved everyone wrong!! Congrats Landon!!!

Nay Nay. I still think Slone should have gone to a NAIA school. He has played some minutes against some schools UK has played that they should have been up by 30 points at the 10 min mark of the 1st half. He hasn't had any minutes in the 3 games UK has played that is truly a D1 school UNC, Miami and Loserville on Sunday. I always like it when a native Ky boy gets some playing time at UK, but when a lot of people start wanting him to play as much as Porter or Miller it just shows how very little they know about basketball talent that UK needs to compete in the SEC night in and night out. I wish him the very best and hope he made the right decision by WALKING on at UK but I think his playing time is about through since the SEC begins next.
kyrifle Wrote:Nay Nay. I still think Slone should have gone to a NAIA school. He has played some minutes against some schools UK has played that they should have been up by 30 points at the 10 min mark of the 1st half. He hasn't had any minutes in the 3 games UK has played that is truly a D1 school UNC, Miami and Loserville on Sunday. I always like it when a native Ky boy gets some playing time at UK, but when a lot of people start wanting him to play as much as Porter or Miller it just shows how very little they know about basketball talent that UK needs to compete in the SEC night in and night out. I wish him the very best and hope he made the right decision by WALKING on at UK but I think his playing time is about through since the SEC begins next.

Great Post, very real perspective that I agree with. :thumpsup:
kyrifle Wrote:Nay Nay. I still think Slone should have gone to a NAIA school. He has played some minutes against some schools UK has played that they should have been up by 30 points at the 10 min mark of the 1st half. He hasn't had any minutes in the 3 games UK has played that is truly a D1 school UNC, Miami and Loserville on Sunday. I always like it when a native Ky boy gets some playing time at UK, but when a lot of people start wanting him to play as much as Porter or Miller it just shows how very little they know about basketball talent that UK needs to compete in the SEC night in and night out. I wish him the very best and hope he made the right decision by WALKING on at UK but I think his playing time is about through since the SEC begins next.

I don't think it has to do as much with evaluating talent as it does people supporting their own. Whenever he made his decision it really made me mad when i saw people belittling him for going to UK. They completely threw their own under the bus, and I thought that was wrong. I think everyone knows that he is not going to be a consistent player in the lineup, but what he has already done has proved a lot of people wrong already, and I am happy for him for that.

I agree 100%. I think Billy G likes to tease those mountain boys. Last spring people were trying to say he was recruiting and talking to Whitaker from Hazard. Do people really think Whitaker could possible play at UK. Quit teasing Billy G.
I agree 100%. He seems like he is trying hard down there but he has yet to see the floor in a game that really mattered. I am all for mountain boys doing well at the next level but I think if these are the type of boys that Billy G and UK are going to recruit it is going to be a short time before people are chomping at the bit to schedule the Wildcats. If Slone had offers from smaller D-1's I think he should've took them.
He has played hard when he has been given the chance to play. Slone was given some playing time against some teams that weren't very good to say the least. After watching him play just don't think he can compete on that elite level day in day out just because of his athletic ability. I think if Billy G is going to get us on the right track he should play the more athletic bodies against the more athletic teams. You have to ask your self this question, could he play for a North Carolina, Florida, Louisville, Duke, Kansas, or a Memphis? No, I doubt he could. I just don't think he will be able help Big Blue Nation get back to the national prestige that it was in the 90's.
Pages: 1 2