Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Programs Are on the Rise and What Programs are Slipping?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What programs are getting better each year and which ones seem to be in trouble?
This should be a fun thread to read once it gets going.
Rise: Harlan County
Fall: Pikeville
I think so too, as long as everyone can stay civil. I hope everyone will refrain from coach bashing.
I'll get it started by saying that Letcher County Central may be the #1 program on the rise and South Floyd, Jenkins, and Pike Central seem to be slipping some in the past couple of years.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Rise: Harlan County
Fall: Pikeville

Good assessment! I forgot about Harlan County. They are still a very young program, but I feel they will only get better.
Programs on the rise (EKY ONLY) over the past 5 years:
1. Johnson Central- From 0 wins to State Title contender
2. Letcher Central- From new program to one of thebetter programs in EKY
3. Knox Central- May have been the 2nd best 4A team in the State, progressively improving
4. Raceland- Always good...but lately they have been great
5. Whitley County- Could be even higher if they cna sustain the success of the past two seasons

Programs falling over the past five years:
1. Pikeville- From one of the most dominant programs in the State regardless of class, to a mediocre 1A team
2. Lawrence County- From arguably the best team in EKY in the late 90's and early 2000's to winless in two seasons
3. Leslie County- Just plain out bad the past few seasons after some very strong teams
4. Rockcastle County- Progressively the talent level has decreased with each class
5. Lynn Camp- The Tigers had a good run but have seemingly fell off considerablya s the other area teams have improved
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Programs on the rise (EKY ONLY) over the past 5 years:
3. Knox Central- May have been the 2nd best 4A team in the State, progressively improving
5. Whitley County- Could be even higher if they cna sustain the success of the past two seasons

1. Pikeville- From one of the most dominant programs in the State regardless of class, to a mediocre 1A team
2. Lawrence County- From arguably the best team in EKY in the late 90's and early 2000's to winless in two seasons
3. Leslie County- Just plain out bad the past few seasons after some very strong teams
4. Rockcastle County- Progressively the talent level has decreased with each class
5. Lynn Camp- The Tigers had a good run but have seemingly fell off considerablya s the other area teams have improved

Nice list, I agree.
Well if we are going to be honest about the rise and fall of some programs.

rise
Allen Central for one year, after this year/ they will be down
Betsy Layne if they keep the kids coming to BL they will be good
magoffin county coming off a 5-5 record and a great 8th grade
paintsville has hans doderer for one more year, they will be alright

fall
south floyd they had a descent 8th grade so this could quickly change
jenkins lost alot to the senior class
pikeville their falling because people on here are tearing them apart that are from pikeville

Leslie County will be great in two years. They played a lot of freshmen last year.

this is only my opinion,,,,,dont bash lets keep this thread going
I also like your list except:

Raceland Rams have always been tough, but Paintsville and Pikeville have went a step backward.

I think Lawrence County should be #1 on the list of programs that have been falling off that last 5 years. Unfortunally they have earned that right.
Paintsville also could easily be added to this list. They went from being a District champion to being a runner-up to Pikeville in realignment. Hopefully they will rebound.
Paul Blazer is another program that is strugglind now but will be back.
Where is Rockcastle's Coach Larkey and a few other coaches that have had so many good teams at?
Quote:Where is Rockcastle's Coach Larkey and a few other coaches that have had so many good teams at?

He is Harlan County's Coach Larkey now and hold on to your britches cause we're on the rise! Wink Can't wait to see what the 2nd season in our school's history holds for us. This was the first year of consolidation and we were 8-4. Things are only going to get better for the Black Bears.
betsylaynealum Wrote:Well if we are going to be honest about the rise and fall of some programs.

rise

fall
pikeville their falling because people on here are tearing them apart that are from pikeville

Leslie County will be great in two years. They played a lot of freshmen last year.

I don't know! I don't really agree with your assessment of teams that are on the rise. Maybe Allen Central had a decent year, but got smoked in the first round of the playoffs by a team that Pikeville handled pretty good.
Mama Bear Wrote:He is Harlan County's Coach Larkey now and hold on to your britches cause we're on the rise! Wink Can't wait to see what the 2nd season in our school's history holds for us. This was the first year of consolidation and we were 8-4. Things are only going to get better for the Black Bears.

I AGREE! ALOT OF GOOD TALENT OVER IN THAT NECK OF THE WOODS!!
a program rising means to me a team in a positive direction. AC got the most wins in school's history. That in itself is impressive. Sorry King but we can agree to disagree.
betsylaynealum Wrote:a program rising means to me a team in a positive direction. AC got the most wins in school's history. That in itself is impressive. Sorry King but we can agree to disagree.

That's right...Allen Central did have a season to remember for the Allen Central fans.
Estill had a great year, i believe the best they have had in 10 years. But on the downside i don't think they will be as good next year because of all the players they loose this year. But they should be able to bounce back.
I'm gonna say up-Powell

down-Fleming
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Programs on the rise (EKY ONLY) over the past 5 years:

Lawrence County won 1 game in 2007 against Boyd County. But the rest is very true.
betsylaynealum Wrote:Well if we are going to be honest about the rise and fall of some programs.

rise

fall

You mean Nehemiah lol...Hans is the older brother that played in i think it was 2006.
Union county is rising up:

2006-2007 year went: 2-8
2007-2008 year went: 4-8 first playoff win in 10years
2008-2009 year went: 8-6 First semifinals in 36 years

next we look to win it all Wink
Russell is going to be slipping for a few years, then they should come back strong.
SportsKing Wrote:I don't know! I don't really agree with your assessment of teams that are on the rise. Maybe Allen Central had a decent year, but got smoked in the first round of the playoffs by a team that Pikeville handled pretty good.

Putting Allen Central and Pikeville in the same sentence is proof of how far Pikeville has fallen.

rise

fall

A few Saturday morning quarterbacks on an internet chat site are responsible for the downfall of Pikeville football? Are you serious? Smile
Rise: Whitley
FallingTongueikeville

Watch for Perry to make a statement in years to come with there freshmen and sophomore class they have
Jetpilot

Pikeville was a prestige program. I mean even when they wasnt winning. You go up there to play they thought they were better than you at everything. I would give them props. Thinking like that destroyed teams like us. But reading threads on here shows how bad things has come. Whether you liked copley or not you had to back him if your a pikeville fan which I am not.

If you notice threads on here, teams dont talk about their self on here they talk about other teams except for Pikeville.

Like I said before this is only my opinion.
SportsKing Wrote:What programs are getting better each year and which ones seem to be in trouble?

Getting better= Estill
In trouble= Harlan
ZoneRead Wrote:Getting better= Estill
In trouble= Harlan

Harlan Co or Harlan Ind.?
Rising - Powell
falling - fleming, lawrence has dropped worse than any.
Suspect Wrote:Rising - Powell

I agree that Powell did improve this year and I hope they continue to do so. Fleming has "stumbled" the past 2 seasons, but I don't think they have fallenBig Grin I look for them to improve next year.
Suspect Wrote:Rising - Powell

Powell had no were to go but up, not sure how far they have come. The game I saw them play they were not very good.