Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Courier Journal Coaches All State Team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The CJ all state team came out today. It was picked by the coaches and is far more accurate than the AP vote.
Congrats go out to mountain players Hunter Adams and Channing Fugate who made first team. Merrick, the Bell Co kicker recieved the most votes of anyone. Zach Lewis is the second team QB and Spencer Greer in on the rb on the third team.

Offense...
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2.../812250525

Defense...
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2.../812250540
Casey Whetstone of Belfry made 3rd team offensive lineman.
bucslover68 Wrote:Casey Whetstone of Belfry made 3rd team offensive lineman.

Along with Ivan Lee; first team Defensive Lineman and Charlie Dotson 3rd team....

Congrats to all the young men who worked hard and earned this honor!!!!
fan first Wrote:The CJ all state team came out today. It was picked by the coaches and is far more accurate than the AP vote.
Congrats go out to mountain players Hunter Adams and Channing Fugate who made first team. Merrick, the Bell Co kicker recieved the most votes of anyone. Zach Lewis is the second team QB and Spencer Greer in on the rb on the third team.

Has he committed to anywhere yet?
If Corbin did not have anyone even mentioned, then our coach must be an absolute football genius in order to make it to the semifinals. I played with a kid who made all-state who couldn't even block his grandma. Most of it very political and who you know, so you kids that didn't get mentioned don't worry about it. The coaches scratch each others back. There are kids who don't get mentioned who go on to play college football and play very well, while those who make it don't and couldn't play a down of college football.
The CJ ALL STATE teams are so much more accurate than any other list.
The CJ team, is actually decided by coaches, who cant vote for their own player, and we all know coaches know talent a tiny bit better than the AP, but i do agree with most of the players on the list.

Great to see the respect givin to Tim Phillips, the all time leading rusher on the most successful team in state history, crazy when the AP voted him because state-wide media outlets are hung up on voting for their local kids, than who really is the best players.

I find it crazy that UK hasnt offered Merrick, the top vote getter, from the state. Someone told me he was only hitting 60% of his field goals, but had missed like 8 that were barely wide from over 55 yards away.

I would think with a leg like that, you could teach someone how to kick it straight. Especially when Lonas Seber is one of the worst kickers in the country
Stardust Wrote:Has he committed to anywhere yet?

He's signed with WKU via the BGR college sports thread.
First, I would like to congratulate everyone on making the list, but did I miss something, didn't Johnson Central leads the state and nation in rushing yardage and not one player receives honorable mention not even an lineman, this is truly unbelievable.
Old School Wrote:First, I would like to congratulate everyone on making the list, but did I miss something, didn't Johnson Central leads the state and nation in rushing yardage and not one player receives honorable mention not even an lineman, this is truly unbelievable.

I agree! JC did all you mentioned while playing a tough 5A schedule in the toughest district in the state! In addtion, JC played a great Belfry Team, Breathitt County, Hazard and the Canadain National Team and put up over 300 yards on the 5A State Champ. Their stats were not against easy teams.
I agree JC should have had several make the team.
Ian Welch, 2nd in state for career interceptions and is not even listed on Defense.
Chase Richardson and Nate Dillon combined for over 3,200 rushing yards.
The offensive of line of Little,Brown, Lackey, Scott & Harlow who all had a great year blocking and lead state/nation in rushing.
Congrats to Daniel Harmon for making third team all-state at Defensive Back, you had to overcome some major injury this year or you probably would have finished higher. Still a great honor and a great high school career.

Congrats to Tyler Baker on making the Honorable-Mention list at WR. I enjoyed watching you play.
Several players from JCHS got robbed.
Ian Welch should have been first team on either side of the ball and only got Hon. Men. as a WR!!!!! Rediculous when you consider the Eagles only threw like 3 passes a game! I am thrilled that so many kids got named from EKy, but to think that some of the several that did were even close to as good as some of the JC boys is just wrong! I can't believe there is that many stupid coaches out there! JMO, but it really takes a lot of credibility away from these lists.
The Guru Wrote:Several players from JCHS got robbed.
Ian Welch should have been first team on either side of the ball and only got Hon. Men. as a WR!!!!! Rediculous when you consider the Eagles only threw like 3 passes a game! I am thrilled that so many kids got named from EKy, but to think that some of the several that did were even close to as good as some of the JC boys is just wrong! I can't believe there is that many stupid coaches out there! JMO, but it really takes a lot of credibility away from these lists.

Looks like you aren't a coach.Your opinion only goes so far I guess.You know what they say about opinions though.:thatsfunn
No opinion on who won when JC and Breathitt played at Breathitt County!!!!!!!!! Just the facts between the lines!
Brett Pittman from Mboro was another one got robbed.Not even a Honorable- Mention what a joke.He lead the region in tackles 16th in state at middle linebacker.
That's one of the reasons I don't like lists like this. Sure, I like to honor these young men for playing so well a game I love and miss so much, but it's often easy to overlook many of them.
Congrats to Harlan County's Nathanial Gilliam for making Honorable Mention!
Glad someone other than LCC seen what a good punter they had.Caleb has worked his butt off and it really showed.3rd team state we are so proud of you.We just can not wait to watch you at the next level where ever it may be.
Congratulations to 2 Leslie Co. Juniors on Post season Honors.

#61 Randen Collett (6'2 280 DT) WYMT-TV All Mountain Defensive Team/Courier Journal All-State Honorable Mention (DT)

#83 Cody Hensley (6'0 180 WR/S) WYMT-TV Honorable Mention WR/ Courier Journal All-State Honorable Mention (WR)

Next years Lookin' up over at Leslie Co. (Because it couldn't get any lower, that's for sure.)
Really glade to see Channing on this list as a first teamer.
Congratulations to Seth Howard, Magoffin County!

Honorable Mention, Offensive Line.
Congrats to Daniel Harmon on 3rd Team CB and Tyler Baker on H.M. WR.
Big Congrats to LCC's Caleb Frazier......3rd team All-State as a punter.
We are very proud of you and wish you only the best in future plans.
Congrats to East Ridges Tyler Pigg...Honorable Mention Defensive End.
The Guru Wrote:Several players from JCHS got robbed.

Take some comfort in knowing that this Highlands fan thinks that JC was the best team, other than Colerain of Ohio, that we played this year. JC may not have had the superstar athletes that some of the other schools that we played, but as a team they were exceptional.

And keep in mind that All State selections rely heavily on stats and size. With JC's offense, the runners split the carries, which prevents any one runner to put up the mind boggling numbers often needed to be selected. I thought each JC ball carrier was exceptional. And to make the O line selection, you almost have to be taller than 6'3 and weigh more than 270 pounds anymore in order to be selected, which is also a travesty to me. Those things may be needed to get a D-1 scholly, but receiving a D-1 scholly shouldn't even be the last of the criteria considered when making All State selections because those schollys, particularly for linemen, are based much more on college potential than high school performance in my opinion based on decades of focusing on the line play.

Congrats to the JC coaches and players for having an exceptional season and being an exceptional team. At the end of the day, those things are more important than any All State selection in my opinion.