Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 1,000s of newly discovered species
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/12/...index.html

This is why rainforest conservation is so important. The cure for cancer or all kinds of other cures could be found. But not if the forrests and the native species are destroyed.

Have any of you ever seen the movie "Medicine Man" w/ Sean Connery?
DevilsWin Wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/12/...index.html

This is why rainforest conservation is so important. The cure for cancer or all kinds of other cures could be found. But not if the forrests and the native species are destroyed.

Have any of you ever seen the movie "Medicine Man" w/ Sean Connery?

I saw this the other day and was amazed, new species are constantly being discovered and lost, but Science doesnt matter when it stands in the way of profit. Just ask old school, he preaches against the science the tells us his practice is killing this land.
I think everyone is for conservation of the rainforest, but its hard for us to tellother people what they can and can't do with THEIR land.

We could always annex it, but then we'd have issues with going in and getting rid of all the tribal people. We did it here once, so I guess we could do it again.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:I saw this the other day and was amazed, new species are constantly being discovered and lost, but Science doesnt matter when it stands in the way of profit. Just ask old school, he preaches against the science the tells us his practice is killing this land.

Excuse me, but why bring me into this thread? This thread is about newly discovered species found largely in the unexplored Mekong Delta region. While the report states that timber and mining industries are encroaching into these areas it also states that 150 large hydropower power plants have been constructed and another 150 are slated to be built. These areas have also been ravaged over the years by natural disasters for example this past summer a cyclone hit Myanmar and killed over 100,000 people. Let's not forget that many restaurants serve them as food. Chungyalpa says, the more exotic the animal, the more it often bestows on the person who consumes it.

I thought you for one would prefer hydropower over coal power plants. Would you rather have 150 coal fired power plants along the Mekong River? How many species have been destroyed since man has invaded North Armerica in the name of development? Yet you only want to blame coal mining for all of our woes.

I know how you are Coach, so before you go off on a rampage on coal mining, do me a favor and start another thread, I'll be glad to discuss any coal mining issues with you.
Old School Wrote:Excuse me, but why bring me into this thread? This thread is about newly discovered species found largely in the unexplored Mekong Delta region. While the report states that timber and mining industries are encroaching into these areas it also states that 150 large hydropower power plants have been constructed and another 150 are slated to be built. These areas have also been ravaged over the years by natural disasters for example this past summer a cyclone hit Myanmar and killed over 100,000 people. Let's not forget that many restaurants serve them as food. Chungyalpa says, the more exotic the animal, the more it often bestows on the person who consumes it.

I thought you for one would prefer hydropower over coal power plants. Would you rather have 150 coal fired power plants along the Mekong River? How many species have been destroyed since man has invaded North Armerica in the name of development? Yet you only want to blame coal mining for all of our woes.

I know how you are Coach, so before you go off on a rampage on coal mining, do me a favor and start another thread, I'll be glad to discuss any coal mining issues with you.

I don't want to blame coal for all our problems, just the ones their responsible for.

Discoveries like this do amaze me, I just finished a zoology class, and we had a big discussion about speciation.