Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: EK Miners vs WV Wild and JR Vanhoose-Saturday and Sunday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The East KY Miners will face the WV Wild Saturday and Sunday in an historic CBA/ABA interleague matchup at the EAST KY EXPO Center..

Saturday's tipoff is at 7:05 and will be preceded by a 15th Region high school battle featuring East Ridge and Allen Central at 5pm.

Sunday's tip is at 4:05.

Former KY Mr Basketball and Marshall University hall of famer JR Vanhoose and Baby Shaq from the And1 series will lead the Wild.
The miners are led by former UK guard Wayne Turner.

All Miners games are available online at http://www.wpke.com and are broadcast on 103.1 WPKE
Should Be A Good Game
Would be a good one to watch.
The Wild still have a team I thought they folded, anyway the ABA is probabily a better league for them than the IBL.
Well, the Wild didn't put up much of a fight. They lost by 102 points tonight! :yikes:

J.R. Vanhoose is sooo out of shape. Love his heart. He didn't even run up the court half the time.
Brittany0121 Wrote:Well, the Wild didn't put up much of a fight. They lost by 102 points tonight! :yikes:

J.R. Vanhoose is sooo out of shape. Love his heart. He didn't even run up the court half the time.

Well, since I don't do this for a living I think I played well enough. Saturday night I led both teams with 31 points and 12 rebounds. Yesterday was a different story. My wife's family had their christmas party and I never pass up a meal. So 2 hours before the game I ate two big plates of mashed potatoes, turkey, dressing, ham, mac & cheese, etc. I still got 10 points and 6 rebounds before I twisted my ankle in the first half. I left at half time because, since I don't do this for a living, I didn't need to go out there and prove that I could play with these guys. I pretty much did that on Saturday.

So back off on the out-of-shape bit a little. Everyone knows that I was out of shape. Heck, before this weekend I hadn't played a game like this in 6 months. Shoot, I hadn't shot a men's size ball in that long either (since I coach girls). So considering it all, I think it was a good showing.

As for the "blowout." That is what happens when guys are out to score and show what they can do then compeletely fail to play defense. Glad I missed the second half last night anyway!!
I saw the games and believe me the Miners would love to have J.R.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Well, since I don't do this for a living I think I played well enough. Saturday night I led both teams with 31 points and 12 rebounds. Yesterday was a different story. My wife's family had their christmas party and I never pass up a meal. So 2 hours before the game I ate two big plates of mashed potatoes, turkey, dressing, ham, mac & cheese, etc. I still got 10 points and 6 rebounds before I twisted my ankle in the first half. I left at half time because, since I don't do this for a living, I didn't need to go out there and prove that I could play with these guys. I pretty much did that on Saturday.

So back off on the out-of-shape bit a little. Everyone knows that I was out of shape. Heck, before this weekend I hadn't played a game like this in 6 months. Shoot, I hadn't shot a men's size ball in that long either (since I coach girls). So considering it all, I think it was a good showing.

As for the "blowout." That is what happens when guys are out to score and show what they can do then compeletely fail to play defense. Glad I missed the second half last night anyway!!

hahaha... you did good big man..
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Well, since I don't do this for a living I think I played well enough. Saturday night I led both teams with 31 points and 12 rebounds. Yesterday was a different story. My wife's family had their christmas party and I never pass up a meal. So 2 hours before the game I ate two big plates of mashed potatoes, turkey, dressing, ham, mac & cheese, etc. I still got 10 points and 6 rebounds before I twisted my ankle in the first half. I left at half time because, since I don't do this for a living, I didn't need to go out there and prove that I could play with these guys. I pretty much did that on Saturday.

Gow up and stop making excuses!!! If all you want is a pick up game go to the YMCA!! These men do this for a living or try to anyway. How would you feel if your girls had that attitude! It was just someones opinion, quit taking everything so personal. It doesn't mean your not a good player, it just means you are out of shape. Smile
Keep this on topic it will also be closed. This is NOT a thread about the "playing" OR "athletic" skills of Coach VanHoose. He has proven his abilities some time ago and this thread is about THE GAME!!!!!
Actually, the Thread Title is EK Miners vs WV Wild and JR Vanhoose. So, it really isn't off-topic. Why is it that anyone bragging on JR's game isn't considered off-topic? Anyone that states an opinion that is not singing the praises of JR Vanhoose or the Lady Hornets is off-topic and threads are shut down by PHS1986. I was only stating my opinion like anyone else. Bluegrassrivals is a great site, but let's have some consistency.
Well I guess since we can not discuss how a certain player played in a certain game. I will just congradulate the Miners on two very well played games. The kid from Boise State continues to impress...wait I cant say that anymore can I....Rolleyes Ummmmmm well the Wild only have room to improve right?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:wow its a joke chrissy many of you need to stop wearing your heart on your sleve.

Man, EK Miners looked impressive.

All jokes aside. How do they look for the year?
ImagineThat! Wrote:Man, EK Miners looked impressive.

They look very good, when they go really deep on the bench they lose quite a bit. Starting 5 is very impressive. Turner has not missed a step all season. With all joke aside the kid from Boise State really has impressed me in ever fasit of the game.
bigsis22 Wrote:Gow up and stop making excuses!!! If all you want is a pick up game go to the YMCA!! These men do this for a living or try to anyway. How would you feel if your girls had that attitude! It was just someones opinion, quit taking everything so personal. It doesn't mean your not a good player, it just means you are out of shape. Smile

I'll agree, I am out of shape, way out of shape. Just saying I played well until I twisted my ankle. I don't even really want a pick up game. I enjoy relaxing and not having to put my body through that stress anymore, I really enjoy the free time. This team from WV that I used to play with just called and asked if I would be interested in playing against the Miners, so I said o.k. That is probably the last time I will play at that level so I was just trying to enjoy it and take it all in. Not trying to take anything away from anyone, just stating the facts. I know what it is like to try and do this for a living, I used to. I just thought that it was neat to know that I could still play on that level and probably play very well, if I got back into shape and tried to play again.

I have to take it personal when things are mentioned about me. Wasn't trying to be a pick, just trying to defend myself. I wasn't making excuses either, just giving all of the evidence.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well I guess since we can not discuss how a certain player played in a certain game. I will just congradulate the Miners on two very well played games. The kid from Boise State continues to impress...wait I cant say that anymore can I....Rolleyes Ummmmmm well the Wild only have room to improve right?

Discussing how they play is one matter.... That is fine... Please do not call out and bash ANY individual be it whomever!!!
bigsis22 Wrote:Actually, the Thread Title is EK Miners vs WV Wild and JR Vanhoose. So, it really isn't off-topic. Why is it that anyone bragging on JR's game isn't considered off-topic? Anyone that states an opinion that is not singing the praises of JR Vanhoose or the Lady Hornets is off-topic and threads are shut down by PHS1986. I was only stating my opinion like anyone else. Bluegrassrivals is a great site, but let's have some consistency.

I did not say that you had to brag on anyone NOR will the staff at BGR allow bashing of players or coaches. This thread however is NOT about the Lady Hornets or COACH VanHoose. State your opinion in an adult way and follow the rules and NO posts or thread will be deleted or closed. If JR played a bad game that is your opinion and your right to say it.

Back to the game..........
phs1986 Wrote:Discussing how they play is one matter.... That is fine... Please do not call out and bash ANY individual be it whomever!!!

whom did I call out, bash or whatever, in which you are insinuating? The only thing Brittany did was make a suggestion that JR was out of shape which is discussing the play of someone who played in the game and was not Off Topic if so please explain how. No one bashed JR or anything else it was just an observation of the game by an indivdual who spectated the game. My post was completly a joke as do many of this site with other people and mods so I see at no point where I was in the wrong nor any other person(s).

So anyways back to the game as you said. I believe the Miners have nothing but a bright future in the CBA pending a fold if they do not get more teams. With the now consolodation on schedules with the ABA we could very well see a merger soon which IMO would be good for both leagues. However, I will start a new thread to discuss the pro and cons to this.

Hey I wasn't putting you down! I was there cheering for you! I applauded the teams effort. As long as people show effort, I'm all for it. I didn't say it here, but I said it somewhere else that you still had a killer jump shot. And I definately wouldn't pass up a Christmas dinner either, and I'm not in shape myself. I'm sorry if I offended you, I was just noting my observances from the game.
I also didn't read the whole post where you said they just called you up to play a couple games against the Miners. That changes the whole thing for me. I thought this team was playing a regular schedule. My bad. I take it back. For Real. Kudos for getting out there and playing.
ImagineThat! Wrote:Man, EK Miners looked impressive.

They are stacked. I don't see them losing many, if any, games. The starting five is Wayne Turner, Jermaine Blackburn, Galen Young, Mike Dean and Joe Buck. That's two CBA all-stars from last year, and Young was the 06 CBA player of the year. Wayne Turner is Wayne Turner, and Joe Buck pulled down 20 rebounds last game. So..when you have Jason McLeish and Mike Crain on your bench youre doing pretty well! Both of them started last season for the Miners. Joe Buck is a monster. He's awesome, may be my new favorite. Delvin Thomas and Alonzo Hird are great shot blockers. Justin Taylor is a fun guy to watch dunk! and Will Holloman is so fast. They have a killer team. They are stacked, that's for sure.
Brittany0121 Wrote:Hey I wasn't putting you down! I was there cheering for you! I applauded the teams effort. As long as people show effort, I'm all for it. I didn't say it here, but I said it somewhere else that you still had a killer jump shot. And I definately wouldn't pass up a Christmas dinner either, and I'm not in shape myself. I'm sorry if I offended you, I was just noting my observances from the game.

Definately not offended, just wanted to let you know why I was so out of shape. I just glad I didn't have a heart attack doing all of that running. Thanks about the jump shot comment, when you are old and fat like me you have to rely on that more than anything else!
phs1986 Wrote:I did not say that you had to brag on anyone NOR will the staff at BGR allow bashing of players or coaches. This thread however is NOT about the Lady Hornets or COACH VanHoose. State your opinion in an adult way and follow the rules and NO posts or thread will be deleted or closed. If JR played a bad game that is your opinion and your right to say it.

Back to the game..........
I can see that for High School, but this is PROFESSIONAL. I have seen A LOT worse in this forum and college and high school.
What's up with the Miner's website? They haven't had any write-ups on any of the games or scores.
Panther Thunder Wrote:What's up with the Miner's website? They haven't had any write-ups on any of the games or scores.

I got on there today also and nothing was updated.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Definately not offended, just wanted to let you know why I was so out of shape. I just glad I didn't have a heart attack doing all of that running. Thanks about the jump shot comment, when you are old and fat like me you have to rely on that more than anything else!

Youre welcome. and I am old and fat. Big Grin
Panther Thunder Wrote:I can see that for High School, but this is PROFESSIONAL. I have seen A LOT worse in this forum and college and high school.

I do agree BUT Coach VanHoose is also affiliated with a local high school. I would ask the same if it were a coach at any other school. Please be adult in your posts is all that I am asking. THAT and follow the rules.... Big Grin