Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bell County Lady Bobcats?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone give a bit of insight on this team? They seemed to disappear off the radar after Coach Gambrel gave up the reins - which seemed rather surprising, given the coach that was brought in - Samantha Young - former player, college experience playing and coaching in addition to being a hometown girl.

What is going on? Bell County used to challenge Clay County every year for the 13th region championship - now, they don't even seem to garner a mention in this forum...
B. Wise Wrote:Can anyone give a bit of insight on this team? They seemed to disappear off the radar after Coach Gambrel gave up the reins - which seemed rather surprising, given the coach that was brought in - Samantha Young - former player, college experience playing and coaching in addition to being a hometown girl.

What is going on? Bell County used to challenge Clay County every year for the 13th region championship - now, they don't even seem to garner a mention in this forum...

The cupboard was kind of bare when Gambrel left. She's had to rebuild the team pretty much from scratch. Plus the talent level in the area isn't what it used to be.... and that goes for all the schools in the county, not just Bell.
To be honest they are very good talent in bell county.
as the girls cross country and track & field attests to perhaps some of the fastest and best atheletes in the state.
As for them participating in basketball their in itself lies the problem.
They simply show no interest afyer grade school.
Bell county has several good size feeder schools (middle school programs)
The coach or coaches of the high schools do not follow suite as the more
succesful programs practice such as to give any attention encouragment or show any interest except for there current position and inherited players.
as to the other prigrams of Bell County not having success or good atheletes.
I wish to reserve my opinion that Middlesboro has some very talented and gifted athletes and they are located in Bell.
and one of the points leaders in the state this year so far plays for pineville which is also located in Bell County as well.
Strong programs such have always worked closely with the grade school and Jr pro programs in there area and while it may be time consuming and coaches may be hard pressed to find time the rewards in the Win category later on will be the end result. we all are in it for the love of the sport that we derived from the golden age of kentucky basketball and theres no apparent reason not to share that love with our younger players through teaching..encouragment and hosting basketball camps at there home schools and get to know the players, parents and working with there grade school coaches to make there transition to high school basketball more relaxed and familiar.
shelby Wrote:I wish to reserve my opinion that Middlesboro has some very talented and gifted athletes and they are located in Bell.

I was referring to basketball talent only... there is plenty of football, softball and cross country/track talent in the area but compared to years past the basketball teams are not as good. Middlesboro's girls had a decent team last season but they also have experienced coaches who know how to maximize the talent they have to work with.

I don't want to get this thread off on a tangent, but a fair number of Middlesboro High's athletes (and regular students) come from Tennessee, including several of their better players.
Two recent examples are Stuart Miller and Brooklynn Jimison. Both were all-state players and both were from Tennessee.

And to get back to Bell County basketball, they are a lot better this year than they were last year.

I went to see Pineville play them in Lynn Camp's tournament a few days ago hoping to finally see the Pineville girls beat a Bell County team (and this was probably Pineville's best chance in at least 10 years to do it) but it didn't happen. Sad

And you are 100% correct about the feeder programs. This area really needs some local AAU teams as well.
Yes d2hoops fan i will certainally have to agree with you.
The tennessee comection most certainally does pay dividends for middlesboro at times. more so in football. But on the excitement of Cumberland gap
football that is about to change.
and i for one very much wish that Bell county basketball would make a comeback. I have always enjoyed the Bell-Clay match ups.
The bell county people are truly the salt if the earth and deserve a winning program.
lately it seems that South Laurel other teams in that area if the trend continues
will not only challenge clay but quite possibly surpass them.
Feeder programs is simply the the Better Coaches working with with ALL Middle school programs inserting his personal touch and preparing them for a easier transition into the high school programs even though there school may be somewhat out of the way. which is sometimes an effort in itself in eastern ky. and not just catering to the one across the highway. Maybe you yourself could start such a program if you are from that locale. The effort might not be seen now but will be seen later on down the proverbial road. And some of the better things done may never bring personal reward or recognition to ones self but do so make a big difference in that programs success or failure.
Yes i was also at the Lynn camp game also scouting for a personal friend and it was odd that Bell county got blowed away by lynn camp and williamsburg and pineville easily beat lynn camp and should of beat a fine williamsburg team if not for a last second heave and Bell 2-5 handily spanked pineville 5-2. lol???
I do know one thing that pineville has one Very good player and I heard shes just a freshman and with one more equal addition could be maybe not great but very formidable if you will. and it looks like they meet again on log mountain and maybe your team will do better. so better luck next time.
I heard that the 2 head coaches was Cousins and it was quite possibly was for bragging rights. lol yes but by the other games played you would think the outcome would of been much different. Perhaps bell scouted pineville better or did not scout lynn camp and williamsburg enough. who knows these things.lol
same way in the olden days when tennessee and kentucky played at ANYTHING you could throw ALL the records out the door.
Hopefully We will rub elbows again on an eastern kentucky matchup my friend & you cannot miss the old white haired fella adorned ina red ball cap sporting a big C.
give me a yell and i will buy you a cup of coffee!!
Keep smiling looks better.