Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2008 King of The Bluegrass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2008 KOB Starts Thurs. 12/18 at 4:30PM @ Fairdale High School

Fairdale vs. Taylor County
Manual vs. Bardstown

Lexington Catholic vs. Bullitt East
Jeffersontown vs. Anderson County

Madisonville vs. Pleasure Ridge Park
Franklin (WA) vs. Male

Cherokee (GA) vs. Centennial (TN)
Dorsey (CA) vs. Coral Reef (FL)

Here are the first round matchups. Just interested in what everyone has to say about these matchups and thinks about these teams.

Anyone else planning on going?

Discuss below...

See bracket here
Manual could very well win the thing!
JTown has to be the favorite...
I agree Manual has a shot at claiming the title, however I think there are other KY teams that have a much better shot namely J'Town especially with the return of Aaron Cosby to the lineup.

Lex Cath can play with the teams in this tournament and Fairdale ALWAYS plays tough in the KOB.

Don't over look the out-of-state teams either, Franklin (WA) brings in UofL signee Peyton Siva and Cherokee (GA) showcases Shawn Kemp Jr.

Should be a great tournament and a great test for some of the top teams in the state. I will be in attendance atleast a few nights and am excited to see what happens.
Would absolutely love to see this tournament, but I've got to support my Blackcats at Johnson Central.

Best of luck to each team in the tournament, hopefully one of the Kentucky teams will come away with 1st place.
If its called King of the Bluegrass then why are there several out of state teams in there? I mean California and Florida?? Just wondering..lol
PATS2011 Wrote:If its called King of the Bluegrass then why are there several out of state teams in there? I mean California and Florida?? Just wondering..lol

Fairdale always brings in some good out of state teams to strengthen the tournament. Just increases the level of competition. Take a look at the website and check out the list of professionals...some pretty big names from both in and out of state, shows the talent in this tournament year after year.

Who wouldn't like to go back to their home state with the title of "King of The Bluegrass"...haha
EasternAlum Wrote:Fairdale always brings in some good out of state teams to strengthen the tournament. Just increases the level of competition. Take a look at the website and check out the list of professionals...some pretty big names from both in and out of state, shows the talent in this tournament year after year.

Who wouldn't like to go back to their home state with the title of "King of The Bluegrass"...haha

lol..true. Thanks for the info.
From the Blog of Jody Demling....in case anyone else was planning on attending.

Seattle Franklin High School is stranded in Las Vegas because of a snowstorm.
So the King of the Bluegrass schedule is changing.

Franklin and Male will now play at 7:30 on Friday.

Bardstown and Manual will play on Thursday at 7:30.

The rest of the schedule is the same.

Just a heads up.
EasternAlum Wrote:From the Blog of Jody Demling....in case anyone else was planning on attending. Seattle Franklin High School is stranded in Las Vegas because of a snowstorm.
So the King of the Bluegrass schedule is changing. Franklin and Male will now play at 7:30 on Friday.

Bardstown and Manual will play on Thursday at 7:30.

The rest of the schedule is the same.

Just a heads up.

:o. I got finals the next 2 days and since I help out the team I won't b getting home till late tomorrow.. causin me to b sleepy for my finals on friday. dang.. wasn't expectin this :/
ill take jtown to bring this one home
News from the KOB

Aaron Cosby has not been cleared to play by the KHSAA for the start of the tournament, as was previously expected, he will be cleared to play on Sun. and will play Mon and Tues. if J'Town is still in it.

Jacob Jenkins is doubtful to play at all in the tournament, if he does not, that hurts Manual's chances of winning.

Since I've never given my pick....Would love to see a KY team take it, but I'm going to take Franklin (WA).
Always a good tournament
Results as of now...

Taylor County over Fairdale

Lex Cath over Bullit East 75-62

Manual over Bardstown

Sorry I don't have any of the other scores
I have now heard that Franklin (WA) will only be bringing 6 players, the rest of the team is still stuck in Las Vegas.

Guess I might want to change my pick, haha

J'Town leads Anderson Co. by 3 entering the 4th quarter.
For the Kentucky teams looks like the winner of the Manual/Taylor Co. game would be my pick. But dont know much about the out of state teams, and kind of thinking that one of them will win it. Jeffersontown might be ranked alittle high right now.
Quick Notes from the KOB on Fri.

Shawn Kemp Jr. is a massive human being, not overly impressed with his play but he is good. His team, Cherokee (GA) beat Centennial (TN).

The teams from CA and FL are HUGE, but what do you expected from LA and Miami. Coral Reef (FL) is really good, without having see the other half of the teams from Thurs. I think they are my front runner.

Peyton Siva is a good player. I wouldn't say he is UL's savior, but he is a good talent, can shoot it, passes well and sees the floor...can't ask for much more from a point guard.

My first impression of Jon Hood....PLAYER. I thought his Madisonville team would be overmatched by PRP, but they played them tough. If not for some of the worst officating I have ever seen, they probably would have won. I was hoping they would because I really wanted to see the Siva vs Hood matchup.

Tonight should be awesome, J'Town-Lex Cath at 9.
EasternAlum Wrote:Quick Notes from the KOB on Fri.

Shawn Kemp Jr. is a massive human being, not overly impressed with his play but he is good. His team, Cherokee (GA) beat Centennial (TN).

The teams from CA and FL are HUGE, but what do you expected from LA and Miami. Coral Reef (FL) is really good, without having see the other half of the teams from Thurs. I think they are my front runner.

Peyton Siva is a good player. I wouldn't say he is UL's savior, but he is a good talent, can shoot it, passes well and sees the floor...can't ask for much more from a point guard.

My first impression of Jon Hood....PLAYER. I thought his Madisonville team would be overmatched by PRP, but they played them tough. If not for some of the worst officating I have ever seen, they probably would have won. I was hoping they would because I really wanted to see the Siva vs Hood matchup.

Tonight should be awesome, J'Town-Lex Cath at 9.

Sounds good. Keep us updated. I enjoy the reports from the other side of the state.
2nd Round Matchups

Winners Bracket PLAYED IN WEST GYM

Manual vs. Taylor County.........................6:00PM
Jeffersontown vs. Lexington Catholic ......9:00PM
Franklin (WA) vs. Pleasure Ridge Park......7:30PM
Cherokee (GA) vs. Coral Reef (FL)............4:30PM

Losers Bracket PLAYED IN EAST GYM

Fairdale vs. Bardstown...........................6:00PM
Anderson County vs. Bullitt East............9:00PM
Madisonville vs. Male .............................7:30PM
Dorsey (CA) vs. Centennial (TN).............4:30PM

My picks are in BOLD.
Winners Bracket

Manual vs. Taylor County Manual 77 - Taylor Co. 59
Taylor Co. played a good game, but just didn't have enough for Manual. They were definitely much quicker than Manual, which showed in Manual's fouling. Can't wait to see this team with Jacob Jenkins. Manual jumped out to an early lead, but Taylor Co. fought back and it was a close game for most of the remanider until Manual pulled away at the end. Box Score

Jeffersontown vs. Lexington Catholic J-town 74 - Lex. Cath 62
A great game as was advertised. A very rough game with 49 fouls and 50 turnovers, and what I felt was incredibly subpar officiating, it was just awful. Thomas Jackson came up big for J'Town with 35 points and Vee Sanford had 26, he was basically unstoppable when he wanted to be. Sanford fouled out 2/3 through the 4th quarter. Good game, but I unfortunately feel like the officials decided the game rather than the players. Much closer than the score reflects. Box Score

Franklin (WA) vs. Pleasure Ridge Park Franklin 68 - PRP 57
I was very surprised at how tough PRP played this team who I thought would destroy them. This turned out to be a lot closer than the score shows. Peyton Siva was rather unimpressive for his hype, granted he did go down with an ankle injury in the middle of the 2nd quarter. He did return, however he was no where close to 100%. Box Score

Cherokee (GA) vs. Coral Reef (FL) Coral Reef 63 - Cherokee 45
A really nice game for the most part. Shawn Kemp Jr. was a force and whenever he touched the ball on the block it was almost a guarantee. Coral Reef again won this game was very intense defense and good guard play. Their senior guard Steven Lopez is as smart a player as I've seen and he can fill it up. I really like this team. Box Score

Losers Bracket

I stayed in the West Gym all day so I didn't get a chance to see any of these games. The winners are in BOLD

Fairdale vs. Bardstown Bardstown 56 - Fairdale 54

Anderson County vs. Bullitt East Bullitt East 43 - Anderson Co. 41- END 3RD (Still playing when I left)

Madisonville vs. Male Male 71 - Madisonville 57
- 35 points, 13 boards and 6 block from Jon Hood.

Dorsey (CA) vs. Centennial (TN) Dorsey 102 - Centennial 95 OT

-Quick note on the Dorsey-Centennial game...Dorsey won in OT 103-95. But by far the story of the night was Centennial big man Drew Kelly (6' 7") who scored a All-Time tournament record of 67 POINTS. The previous record was 54 points held by Ryan Cochran. Kelly is commited to Miami (OH).
who won the jtown vs manual game?!
J-Town beat Manual, Cosby finally cleared. It's a wrap, J-Town 's going win the KOB and the state title. Way to much talent along with good coaching.:devilflam
BardstownTigers Wrote:who won the jtown vs manual game?!

Sorry I didn't see this post last night...

J'Town won in overtime. Great game by both teams, Manual kind of gave it away. They proved they belong and J'Town looked about the same with Cosby playing, they just had one more option so Jackson didn't have to do it all by himself.

The 7th Region is just insanely good this year, it has been and will continue to be fun to watch.

On a side note, Coral Reef is going to destroy Manual. They should have beaten Frankin (WA) but they got to close to Siva with Pitino in the stands and got into foul trouble. And if you weren't there you missed a great halftime show when Peyton Siva walked on water.

I think J'Town will probably play with Franklin for a while, but I see Franklin coming out on top.
J-Town
Manual wins with Jenkins. His return set for Friday against Adair.
Tournament MVP
Peyton Siva - Franklin

Ralph Beard Spirit Award
Chase Cox - Taylor Co.

All-Tournament Team
Domonique Wilson - Franklin
Thomas Jackson - Jeffersontown
Antwan Wilson - Jeffersontown
Charles Hankerson, Jr. - Coral Reef
Steven Lopez - Coral Reef
Shawn Kemp, Jr. - Cherokee
Drew Kelly - Centennial
Jon Hood - Madisonville
C.J. Penny - Anderson County
Sean Samsel - Manual
Jordan Hickman - Bardstown
D'Carlo Hayes - Male
Taylor Botkin - Lexington Catholic
Willie Moore - Bullitt East
Quintrel Morris - Fairdale
Any scoring stats???
Chase Cox avg 31 points in three games, but some how didn't make the all-tournment team.