Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 84, Pikeville 60
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final from Pikeville. SV was given a stern test tonight, as Pikeville actually led 37-33 at halftime until Valley finally flipped the switch in the second half.

Big congrats to Pikeville for playing Valley tough, and congrats to SV for picking up a tough district win.
Congrats Valley! Stats?
Looks like Pikeville really wanted this game, congrats Valley... great effort Panthers!
congrats SV and congrats Pikeville on playing SV tough
pikeville played valley much closer than this score reveals
they actually had a four point lead at the half then valley pulled away in the fourth quater.
congrats valley and way to fight panthers.
big games from curby tackett and matt clevenger
From what i heard Shelby Valley had a harder time then what people though they would. That show that anything can happen in the 15 region
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Looks like Pikeville really wanted this game, congrats Valley... great effort Panthers!

Listened to most of this game on the radio...

Sounds like Pikeville came out with a lot of intensity in the beginning, and SV struggled to match it. A slew of foul calls on both sides kept the first half from getting into any kind of rhythm.

Third quarter, SV came out of the break a different team. Booher must have peeled the paint off the locker room walls, because SV outscored Pikeville 51-23 in the second half.
Congrats to Valley! Good game by Pikeville way to hang in there.
Congrats SV
Tough game for SV, they came out of the locker room in the 2nd half and finished strong. After two big wins for SV, a let down game like this isnt unusual. But they pulled the win out, a 24 point win isnt anything to be ashamed of.
listened to the game on the radio too...sounded like Kirby Tackett had a good game during the second half... 18 points total...CTB player of the game...congratulations
No surprise, but I have to admit I'd love to see PHS beat them this year. Sorry SV --- don't mean to be a hater!
Really well played game by the Panthers, they had a good game plan and it keep them in it until the 4th quarter. Valley sounded a little sluggish from the start, maybe feeling the effects of 3 games in 4 days but still either way great game for both. Valley getting a tough district test away from home and Pikeville showing that they should not be overlooked.
You won't see this kind of score at Valley.
This game seemed to be a tale of two halves as far as the officiating goes. In the first half, the refs seemed to blow a whistle every time down the floor, with lots of fouls against both teams. I think Pikeville had two players with 3 fouls at the break, and Valley had one, while each team had several more with 2 personals. Pikeville also lived at the foul line, shooting 20 free throws in the first half. Basically, the tight officiating kept the game from getting into any kind of a flow, and gave the advantage to Pikeville.

Then in the second half, it was just the opposite. Perhaps trying to prevent each team from having multiple players foul out, the refs decided to swallow the whistle and let the game go. This played more into SV's hands, but they probably allowed a little too much contact, as it sounded like things got pretty heated in the second half. Hard fouls, flared tempers, technicals, and objects being thrown on the court were the end result.

I guess I just wanted to make two points:

1) The officating tonight seemed very poor. From one extreme to the other, the refs couldn't make up their mind how the game was going to be called.

2) This game just proves that how a game is called really can affect the outcome. An extremely tight whistle really takes a lot of the bite out of SV's pressure defense, and could give another 15th region team a chance to knock off the Wildcats. Conversely, a loosely called game allows SV to take chances on defense while being aggressive on offense, and will most likely end up as a Valley win against most teams across the state.
Congrats SV
More Cowbell Wrote:A slew of foul calls on both sides kept the first half from getting into any kind of rhythm.

24 total fouls called in the 1st half. Nice effort by Pikeville, and a HUGE game from Curby Tackett...
PC_You_Know Wrote:You won't see this kind of score at Valley.

that's for sure.
Curby Tackett 18 points, 7 rebounds, 5 blocks
Elisha Justice 15 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 4 steals
Ashley Hatfield 13 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
Deven Adams 12 points, 4 rebounds
Taylor Newsome 11 points, 8 rebounds
Tyler Newsome 9 points
Logan Bryant 6 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals
Cody Varney 4 rebounds

Valley shot 33-61 (54%) from the field, 1-5 (20%) from three, and 17-30 (56%) from the free throw line. Valley had 41 rebounds, 15 assists, 14 steals, and 10 turnovers.

Pikeville shot 17-58 (29%) from the field, 3-17 (17%) from three, and 23-31 (74%) from the free throw line.

There were 37 free throws shot in the 1st half.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Valley shot 33-61 (54%) from the field, 1-5 (20%) from three, and 17-30 (56%) from the free throw line.

Pikeville shot 17-58 (29%) from the field, 3-17 (17%) from three, and 23-31 (74%) from the free throw line.

There were 37 free throws shot in the 1st half.

Do you have the official stats on number of fouls? Even better, fouls in each half?
Valley really needs to improve from the charity stripe
SV was tested tonight and I believe this type of game is good for them. They need to be challenged and see how they respond. Give Pikeville credit. They outworked SV the first half and had a nice game plan. Curby Tackett was the difference in the second half. He was a man out there and had 16 of his 18 points. Good game by both teams.

On another note. The throwing of the bouncy balls needs to quit. No questions asked. A stray ball could injure a child or put anyone's eye out or injure a person in another way. I am all for the kids having fun. Heck, even the old toilet paper would be better. If I had a child who threw a bouncy ball, you can daggone guarantee he/she would never throw another one again. This opinion would apply to any student section, not just Shelby Valley's. The Blue Crew is awesome, but they need another way to support their team IMO.
More Cowbell Wrote:Do you have the official stats on number of fouls? Even better, fouls in each half?

Total fouls were 23 or 24 on Valley and 20 on Pikeville. I can't remember what they were in each half. I do know that Pikeville was 15-20 in the first half from the FT line and Valley was 11-17.
More Cowbell Wrote:Do you have the official stats on number of fouls? Even better, fouls in each half?
According to www.pikevillebasketball.com Pikeville was whistled for 22 fouls and Shelby Valley 23 for the game. The game must have been pretty evenly called. I also didn't know that the game was so close at the end of the 3rd quarter. Pikeville was only down 4 until Valley hit a 3 at the buzzer. Pikeville will be very dangerous when they get more time together. They always play the life out of Valley although obviously always outmanned.
bball fan Wrote:According to www.pikevillebasketball.com Pikeville was whistled for 22 fouls and Shelby Valley 23 for the game. The game must have been pretty evenly called. I also didn't know that the game was so close at the end of the 3rd quarter. Pikeville was only down 4 until Valley hit a 3 at the buzzer. Pikeville will be very dangerous when they get more time together. They always play the life out of Valley although obviously always outmanned.

I clicked on the link, and although I did see a short game recap and a listing of each team's player points, I didn't see anything about fouls.

Still, I wasn't implying that I thought the game was called in favor of Pikeville. I believe SV ended up with a couple more fouls overall, but it seemed the refs were calling things fairly even on both ends. To me, the big discrepancy seemed to be from one half to the next. It sure seemed there were WAY more fouls in the first half, then the refs loosened up in the second.
Congrats to Shelby Valley on this win, and to Curby for having a huge game. He was dominant on both ends of the floor.

Good 1st half effort by Pikeville, but you could tell Shelby Valley wore them down in the 2nd. They have no answer for Curby or Deven in the post, and Shelby Valley didn't utilize that until the 2nd half. I don't expect the game to be closer next time. I'm amazed that people are calling a 24 point win @ Pikeville a let down for Shelby Valley.
bucslover68 Wrote:On another note. The throwing of the bouncy balls needs to quit. No questions asked. A stray ball could injure a child or put anyone's eye out or injure a person in another way. I am all for the kids having fun. Heck, even the old toilet paper would be better. If I had a child who threw a bouncy ball, you can daggone guarantee he/she would never throw another one again. This opinion would apply to any student section, not just Shelby Valley's. The Blue Crew is awesome, but they need another way to support their team IMO.

I will agree that throwing of anything onto the court, be it bouncy balls, toilet paper, or whatever, needs to stop. I know certain teams have a "tradition" of throwing objects whenever their team score its first points, but I have always felt it is a disruption of the game and should not be tolerated. Never understood why there is always a "warning", it should be a technical on the first offense.

To be honest, though, it's not really fair to call a technical and penalize the team, since they don't have anything to do with it. The more appropriate response would be to eject any guilty parties from the arena immediately.
Congratulations to my precious Valley Cats! Way to go Pikeville! You guys were awesome, especially my 2 favorite Panthers - Matt & Patrick! I am so proud of both teams! Everyone keep up the good work! Keep showing respect and good sportsmanship and have fun!
alfus21 Wrote:I'm amazed that people are calling a 24 point win @ Pikeville a let down for Shelby Valley.

If you listened to the first half of this game, you would know why everyone says that. SV came out flat and did not match Pikeville's intensity. It apparently took a halftime tongue-lashing to fire the boys up, and in the second half Valley finally showed what they are capable of. It's just that it shouldn't have come to that.
More Cowbell Wrote:If you listened to the first half of this game, you would know why everyone says that. SV came out flat and did not match Pikeville's intensity. It apparently took a halftime tongue-lashing to fire the boys up, and in the second half Valley finally showed what they are capable of. It's just that it shouldn't have come to that.

I was at the game. I'm just saying, there wasn't much doubt in my mind that Shelby Valley would end up winning by double digits. They just played poor in the first half, along with some (in my opinion) bad calls. I was not surprised to see Shelby Valley come out as a different team in the 2nd half and put this one away.
Pages: 1 2