Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Big 3 Bail Out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you think should happen to the big 3?
1) Should tax payer money be spent on bailing out the big 3?
2) Should part of the 700 Billion be spent on bailing out the big 3?
3) Should the big 3 have to go through bankruptcy?
4) ????

What's everyons thoughts?
If the automotive companies go down, an estimated 2.3 million people will lose their jobs.

If you think the economy is bad now, wait until another 2.3 million people become unemployed.

What bothers me the most is that congress was so gung-ho about bailing out the banks and when they did so, nobody cared to watch over them. Now that the Big 3 want just a fraction of what was given to the banks, everyone is causing a big stink about it.
I think people aren't seeing the big picture when they say that we should let the "big three" fall by the wayside. Are those same people willing to see the effect on the steel industry (which is already seeing this) and also then the coal industry. Especially in our local areas the fall out of the failure of the big three could be catastrophic(sp).
I really wonder if they would go under, here's why I say that, they never mentioned anything about going under until the government bailed out the banks. Could it just be that they are just trying to get some extra cash from the government completments of the American people?

I would think that if they are in such dire straits they should look at ways to cut cost and improve sales, IMO any money obtained through a bail out would be wasted if they don't have a major reorganization plan.
ComfortEagle Wrote:If the automotive companies go down, an estimated 2.3 million people will lose their jobs.

If you think the economy is bad now, wait until another 2.3 million people become unemployed.

What bothers me the most is that congress was so gung-ho about bailing out the banks and when they did so, nobody cared to watch over them. Now that the Big 3 want just a fraction of what was given to the banks, everyone is causing a big stink about it.

i agree
Old School Wrote:I really wonder if they would go under, here's why I say that, they never mentioned anything about going under until the government bailed out the banks. Could it just be that they are just trying to get some extra cash from the government completments of the American people?

I would think that if they are in such dire straits they should look at ways to cut cost and improve sales, IMO any money obtained through a bail out would be wasted if they don't have a major reorganization plan.

I know, because I work at one, that GM dealerships have been struggling all year. It had nothing to do with the bank bailout.

If anything, a lot of people here were hoping that the bank bailout would lead to more accessible credit, but obviously that didn't happen.

There are simply just not many people buying cars.
Personally, if the companies got themselves into this mess, they should get themselves out, however this would mean bankruptcy and many would lose their jobs. So, the govt. should give a bailout but the govt. should take control of the companies if they do so, if its the govt. money, then the govt. should see how it is used and get these companies back on track. But, this may not happen because I think the Republicans will make the Big 3 go bankrupt so that they can get rid of the unions so that the company can decide how much a worker gets paid and if they get health insurance and retirement and this would ultimately be bad for the workers because I doubt the companies will pay them much and it would be like it was before their was unions: working for pennies on the dollar.
Let them be. If they go bankrupt, so be it. Some people might lose their jobs, but these companies will be bought out and ran correctly. Its better to go ahead and hit rock bottom now and work our way back up and do things the right way, than to keep putting band aids on everything so that at some point 5-10-20 years down the road there is a massive collapse, at which point there will be no help. Half of the problem we see is how buddy buddy these companies are with eachother. Aren't they supposed to be competitors trying to put eachother out of business? This is why american cars suck now, these companies have got together and made lesser quality cars for higher prices, and it has come back to bite them. Let them fail, sorry for those who lose jobs, but the jobs will be back.
BTW I think AK is done, because they are starting to cut off utilities and such. Which is usually the first sign.