Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The '96 Cats were Amazing!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Watch this

[youtube="UK/LSU '96"]y0w5SDuFAsY[/youtube]
Ahh yes I member that. You can also watch them play the 96,98 championships game that year. Specially when they played Duke and beat them!
Wow! How ridiculous was this team? The sheer amount of talent on the floor was overwhelming.
Well we all know how good that team was. Their starting 5 won the championship in 96 and their second 5 off the bench won the title in 98. Most unbelievable team I have ever seen in my lifetime. Not just UK, but overall college basketball.
Probably one of the best teams in NCAA history, only teams that beat them were UMASS and Miss. State and both of them went to the final four.
96 was a special season.
the '96 team was the best college basketball team to ever take the floor. Period. The '91 UNLV Runnin Rebels IMO were the second best, but that '96 UK team was unbelievable.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:the '96 team was the best college basketball team to ever take the floor. Period. The '91 UNLV Runnin Rebels IMO were the second best, but that '96 UK team was unbelievable.

Completely agree! They were dominant in every facet of the game.
Oh yes the 96 cats were amazing that wa the good ole days of UK basketball; it will be back soon
Probably the most amazing basketball teams that I had ever seen
Hands down the deepest team in college B-ball history. The Starting 5 all played in the NBA, The second 5 off the bench was a top ten team by themselves and the third 5 off bench was top 25. I miss those days.
96 team was the greatest and will for ever be the greatest college basketball off all time hands down!
Ahh the "Untouchables" my favorite UK team ever..........Mark Pope, Tony Delk, and Walter McCarty. All three players in my top 5! Man that was a great team!
Without a doubt the best college basketball team of all-time!
guyfawkes Wrote:Probably one of the best teams in NCAA history, only teams that beat them were UMASS and Miss. State and both of them went to the final four.

That Umass team didn't make it to the final four that year. I can't remember if they play Duke for Umass or after Umass. But they might be the 98 team. They run out of timeouts with 5 or 6 mins to go in the game. But it seem like ever time UK or Duke win the title, they have to play each other.
cj2561 Wrote:That Umass team didn't make it to the final four that year. I can't remember if they play Duke for Umass or after Umass. But they might be the 98 team. They run out of timeouts with 5 or 6 mins to go in the game. But it seem like ever time UK or Duke win the title, they have to play each other.

Yes, UMASS did go to the Final Four in '96. Kentucky played Duke in the NCAA tourny in '98.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_NCAA_M...Tournament
i bet billy Gillespie wishes his press worked this good
BCF4L Wrote:Well we all know how good that team was. Their starting 5 won the championship in 96 and their second 5 off the bench won the title in 98. Most unbelievable team I have ever seen in my lifetime. Not just UK, but overall college basketball.
Delk, McCarty, Walker, Mercer, Anderson, Pope, Padgett, Sheppard, and Turner all eventually played in the NBA. Thats 9 players on the same team! I'm not sure that Padgett and Magloire was on the 96 team, I don't think they arrived until 97.
No one in basketball history could touch that team. No all time team or anything. Kentucky was the best that year and the next two years!!
Mario#1 Wrote:No one in basketball history could touch that team. No all time team or anything. Kentucky was the best that year and the next two years!!

UK wasn't the best best the next year. AZ was the best that 97 season.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:the '96 team was the best college basketball team to ever take the floor. Period. The '91 UNLV Runnin Rebels IMO were the second best, but that '96 UK team was unbelievable.

I would have to think that the Bill Walton UCLA team was the most dominant team ever. Followed closely by the Jabbar years. The 1974 UNC team with David Thompson would be next.

The '96 team was incredible, but I think they would have been hard pressed to beat the powerhouse '78 UK team. As big as Phillips and Robey were, they could run the floor extremely well. Givens would have given the '96 a major match-up problem. And finally, had Macy had the opportunity to shoot the 3 in college, he may well have been the career % leader of all time.
Im not sure if they avenged their loss to Miss. St but yes they did beat UMASS in the final four i believe I may be wrong but man that had to be a great moment.
cj2561 Wrote:UK wasn't the best best the next year. AZ was the best that 97 season.
If Anderson wouldn't have been hurt Arizona wouldn't have beat us, shouldn't have anyways.
Redneck Wrote:If Anderson wouldn't have been hurt Arizona wouldn't have beat us, shouldn't have anyways.

I agree, Anderson's injury took the National title from UK.
96 who was coaching Thats right Ricky P who is now going to take the cards to the National Championship and win. Whos boys in 98 Ricky P they left and not been back since have they now. LOUISVILLE CARDINALS #1!!!
Cardfan09 Wrote:96 who was coaching Thats right Ricky P who is now going to take the cards to the National Championship and win. Whos boys in 98 Ricky P they left and not been back since have they now. LOUISVILLE CARDINALS #1!!!

I'm just curious, how many Pitino won at Louisville??? :confused:
Redneck Wrote:If Anderson wouldn't have been hurt Arizona wouldn't have beat us, shouldn't have anyways.

I lose 500 dollars on that game. When i made the bet i told him, if anderson play UK will win, if he don't they will get beat.....
Stardust Wrote:I would have to think that the Bill Walton UCLA team was the most dominant team ever. Followed closely by the Jabbar years. The 1974 UNC team with David Thompson would be next.

The '96 team was incredible, but I think they would have been hard pressed to beat the powerhouse '78 UK team. As big as Phillips and Robey were, they could run the floor extremely well. Givens would have given the '96 a major match-up problem. And finally, had Macy had the opportunity to shoot the 3 in college, he may well have been the career % leader of all time.

You left out the 66 UTEP team. They one that beat UK, and they made a movie about that team.
Cardfan09 Wrote:96 who was coaching Thats right Ricky P who is now going to take the cards to the National Championship and win. Whos boys in 98 Ricky P they left and not been back since have they now. LOUISVILLE CARDINALS #1!!!

Louisville hasn't been there since Pitino got there. :p
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Louisville hasn't been there since Pitino got there. :p
Louisville hasn't been there since Moby D!ck was a minnow. Smile
Pages: 1 2