Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Flag Burning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it ok?
In certain instances yes it is acceptable.
Midee1 Wrote:In certain instances yes it is acceptable.

Like what?
sherman14 Wrote:Like what?

I suspected you would ask that question.

Quote:Section 8k of the Flag Code states, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." We recommend that you contact your local VFW Chapter and ask them for help properly disposing of your flag. And be sure to consider providing a small donation to them for their assistance. Or you can contact your local Elks Lodge (who created the idea of Flag Day, established officially by President Truman, himself a member of the Elks), the American Legion, or the Knights of Columbus. Some Boy Scout and Girl Scout troups also can provide this service.
See Flag Burning Service and Ceremony.
In earlier times, most American flags were made of cotton or wool. But today's flags are often nylon or other petroleum-based materials. Burning them can release hazardous gases, including formaldehydes, ammonia, carbon monoxide, and traces of hydrogen cyanide into the air. In some states, it is even illegal to burn nylon, so adhering to the Flag Code puts you in direct violation of the law. Burning is preferred for cotton and wool flags. Nylon and flags made from other synthetics can be buried.
Modern flag retirement ceremonies, often held annually on Flag Day, sometimes feature the symbolic burning of a single flag (cotton or wool) and the burial of the others. This is both safe and respectful.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
Midee1 Wrote:I suspected you would ask that question.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Totally agree
Never.
SixBlackRabbits Wrote:Never.

Did you read my reply about accepted flag burning procedure?
i say burn it who cares its just a flag. as long as they do the whole drawn out process let it burn.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:i say burn it who cares its just a flag. as long as they do the whole drawn out process let it burn.

How heartless do you have to be? If your an American you should love and respect that flag. It stands for freedom. And that what this country intitles to you FREEDOM.
sherman14 Wrote:How heartless do you have to be? If your an American you should love and respect that flag. It stands for freedom. And that what this country intitles to you FREEDOM.

:Thumbs:
sherman14 Wrote:How heartless do you have to be? If your an American you should love and respect that flag. It stands for freedom. And that what this country intitles to you FREEDOM.

I love and respect America and our flag, but i dont see the problem in burning it if its old. I dont think they should make such a big deal out of burning flags though, just burn the da#n thing a put a new one up.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I love and respect America and our flag, but i dont see the problem in burning it if its old. I dont think they should make such a big deal out of burning flags though, just burn the da#n thing a put a new one up.

I hardly think burning an American flag in protest of some type of policy rises to the level of yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre (the free speech "standard"). I have no desire to burn a flag as an act of protest; however, I beieve it is a Constitutionally protected form of political speech.
thecavemaster Wrote:I hardly think burning an American flag in protest of some type of policy rises to the level of yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre (the free speech "standard"). I have no desire to burn a flag as an act of protest; however, I beieve it is a Constitutionally protected form of political speech.

Burning stuff is part of free speech? There are other ways to get your point across without disrespecting every American who has died for this country. At some point you have to draw a line. This is it for me. Im okay if people wanna get out and march and yell and hold signs saying whatever they want. However, if foreigners want to disrespect our country and our people, what do they do? They burn our flag. We should not be allowing it on our own streets. Plus someone could get hurt.
so are we talking about burning flags to protest?????? i thought we were talking about burning flags if there old and outdated. i have no problem burning them if there old, but yes out of protest-no way in you know where.
It's not the burning them that is the problem, as has been shown in some cases it is recommended as the proper way of disposal. However its the meaning of the burning of the flag.
As far as I know none of you have "Served Under The Flag". I have. Let me tell you something.
I fought and my friends died so that you could burn all the flags you want.

Burn em all you want, have a bonfire of flags for all I care.

You could burn a million flags and it wouldn't take away what fighting men and women believe in. We belive in what the flag stands for, not the flag itself.

Freedom of speech is protected under that flag and if burning it is what you want to do to get your point across go right ahead and burn it.

All rights should be protected, not just the ones that are popular.
I still have a flag that has 48 stars on it. An I only hang it out on Memorial Day 4th of July Veterans Day. All the days that it requires it to be hung out then when that day is over I fold it up hows it supposed to be and put it in a special place.
DevilsWin Wrote:As far as I know none of you have "Served Under The Flag". I have. Let me tell you something.

You could burn a million flags and it wouldn't take away what fighting men and women believe in. We belive in what the flag stands for, not the flag itself.

Freedom of speech is protected under that flag and if burning it is what you want to do to get your point across go right ahead and burn it.

This post may be one of the grandest statements of real patriotism that I have ever read. Thank you, DW, for this statement and for your service to our country and its ideals.
However burning things is not a form of free speech. Nor is it a protected right. Peaceful protest is a protected right. Just because someone hasn't served doesn't diminish their right to speak on this subject.
Beetle01 Wrote:However burning things is not a form of free speech. Nor is it a protected right. Peaceful protest is a protected right. Just because someone hasn't served doesn't diminish their right to speak on this subject.
You are not the authoity on free speech Beetle even though you practice it how you seem fit.

You're right to speak on this subject is not diminished.

You have never sworn to defend the flag though, as I and all other members of the U.S. Armed Forces have.

You may have Pledged Allegiance, but you haven't raised your right hand and sworn to defend what the flag stands for, not the flag itself.
thecavemaster Wrote:This post may be one of the grandest statements of real patriotism that I have ever read. Thank you, DW, for this statement and for your service to our country and its ideals.
You're welcome CM.
Beetle01 Wrote:However burning things is not a form of free speech. Nor is it a protected right. Peaceful protest is a protected right. Just because someone hasn't served doesn't diminish their right to speak on this subject.

The Congress would not pass a flag burning amendment, which was brought to the floor as a political ploy to question the patriotism of those who would vote against it...many of them voting "ney" from a sense of the very patriotism, belief in certain ideals, that the issue was designed by its authors to question... pandering at its worst.
never right to burn flag.
DevilsWin Wrote:As far as I know none of you have "Served Under The Flag". I have. Let me tell you something.

Oh come on. I fought too and I am sorry, but I would not allow you to burn a flag in my presence. Too many brave soldiers died under that banner for me to allow it to be dishonored.
lawrencefan Wrote:Oh come on. I fought too and I am sorry, but I would not allow you to burn a flag in my presence. Too many brave soldiers died under that banner for me to allow it to be dishonored.
I wish you didn't feel that way.
To my knowledge, no American flags are manufactured in the United States. "Do not burn this: made in China." People wear underwear flags...for all I know there are flag condoms. So, apparently, it isn't reverence for the flag itself that is at issue: what we quarrel with is using the flag as part of an act of protest.
I was in the military. USMC. This is my take on the flag burning issue. I dont like it. I wouldnt do it. But I also know that many people have died so we can have our freedoms. Part if that freedom is the freedom to burn the flag. Just because you dont belive in what someone is doing doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed to do the protesting. Yes, our flag stands for freedom. So that freedom that the flag stands for covers everyone. Not just the ones who thinks it is wrong to burn. What good is a symbol of freedom if you cant not use that freedom? I think when people burn the flag in protest or saying that America is free is just proving the point that this is a free country.