Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: If you were president and could change government what would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been reading all these posts that people have written and it got me thinking what would I do if president how would I change things. And I figured it would be interesting to see what you all would do to.

First I would create tax relief and incentives for companies to bring manufacturing back to the US. I would grant them 20yrs of tax relief in which they could take it as a lump sum any time during the contract or they could spread it out throughout the contract. Companies would be legally bound to stay the 100 yrs unless the company went out of business and clauses would be put in place to asure they didn't merely change names. The companies would have to pay the taxes back with a steep interest if they left early.

Second I would work to minimize government spending. I feel that many programs we could do without and the general every day spending could be decreased through cutbacks and more competitive contracts.

Third I would strengthen our military and raise enlisted troops two paygrades. Our military is made up of young men that work too hard and are in too much dangerous situations to make what they make.

Fourth I would get rid of federal income tax and institute the fair tax. This is basically a national sales tax. This would even the playing field of tax-payers and take the burden off the middle-class.

Fifth thing and in my opinion the most important is that I would abolish the party system in politics. Our government was never intended to have a party system. The writers of the constitution realized the negative aspects of having parties and factions and believed that this would eventually turn the government into an out-dated system that only saught to advance the party in power's position. This is clearly evident today in our government. They seem to no longer care for the people they only care about party and special interests.

These are just a few things I would do, what about you all.
First thing I would do is do away with all the free trade agreements. I would then negotiate fair trade agreements. I would cut the corporate tax rate so that it is competitive in a world market, so that American companies are not punished for being here.

Bring about a flat tax rate, and do away with all the loopholes that the rich use to get out of paying taxes. Increase their taxes all you want, with the loopholes we have now it doesn't matter if you bump them to 75%. However, I will not want to punish those that are successful.

If possible do away with all pork spending, we waste Billions of dollars every year on pointless projects. Put that money into education. People drawing govt. checks will be required to take monthly drug tests. Those drawing checks that are not disabled will be required to be actively searching for jobs and/or pursuing an education. If you are not doing either you will not recive money. If you fail 3 drug tests, you will not recieve any more money.

I will increase the pay of soldiers, and do what I can to see that their healthcare becomes better.

I will increase funding for higher education, I will also make govt insurance available for those in college who do not fall under their parents plans.

I will require all businesses to supply insurance for their employees, whether they are full time or part time. For small businesses that hire students, if that student is eligible for their parents plans, they must be carried by them. I will give tax breaks for these businesses so that they do not go under.

I will increase tariffs on countires with poor human rights records, who basically use their population as slave labor,so that it will not be cheaper to import from them. Places like China for example. I will try and create an atmosphere in the world and here where there is once again pride in buying American.

It will not be cheaper for companies to export goods from foreign countires who import none or very little goods from our shores. I am okay with fair trade where both countries have something to gain from doing business together.

I will begin deporting all illegal immigrants immediately. I will increase the number of legal immigrants allowed in. If an illegal is caught more than 3 times, they will serve a 25 year sentence on a work farm. I will create work farms that provide food ran by prisoners for prisoners. I will work to make prisons self sustainable so that the cost of these prisons decreases. I will not privatize our prison system, which is where we are headed now.

I will work to free up treatments and cures which are currently being held by drug companies so that they will make more profit. I will not turn my back on the drug companies, they spend millions working on these cures and treatments, the govt will help them with their costs. Noone will be denied a life saving treatment or cure.

For a conservative it appears I wish to do alot of spending, but I know that by bringing jobs back and companies back, along with doing away with useless spending, there will be a substantial amount of money added to our coffers to sponsor such actions.

I think these simple steps would go a long way in bettering our country for generations to come.
Launchpad/Beetle 2012 - You've got my vote. Big Grin Sounds like some great ideas that are very comparable. I think I would have to side with Launchpad on the Fair Tax, though.
launchpad4 Wrote:Fifth thing and in my opinion the most important is that I would abolish the party system in politics. Our government was never intended to have a party system. The writers of the constitution realized the negative aspects of having parties and factions and believed that this would eventually turn the government into an out-dated system that only saught to advance the party in power's position. This is clearly evident today in our government. They seem to no longer care for the people they only care about party and special interests.

I agree. I know this is impossible, but I would love to see an election where no one knew the politician's party affiliation and had to vote only on what the politician stands for and his/her ideas.
launchpad4 Wrote:I've been reading all these posts that people have written and it got me thinking what would I do if president how would I change things. And I figured it would be interesting to see what you all would do to.

First I would create tax relief and incentives for companies to bring manufacturing back to the US. I would grant them 20yrs of tax relief in which they could take it as a lump sum any time during the contract or they could spread it out throughout the contract. Companies would be legally bound to stay the 100 yrs unless the company went out of business and clauses would be put in place to asure they didn't merely change names. The companies would have to pay the taxes back with a steep interest if they left early.

Second I would work to minimize government spending. I feel that many programs we could do without and the general every day spending could be decreased through cutbacks and more competitive contracts.

Third I would strengthen our military and raise enlisted troops two paygrades. Our military is made up of young men that work too hard and are in too much dangerous situations to make what they make.

Fourth I would get rid of federal income tax and institute the fair tax. This is basically a national sales tax. This would even the playing field of tax-payers and take the burden off the middle-class.

Fifth thing and in my opinion the most important is that I would abolish the party system in politics. Our government was never intended to have a party system. The writers of the constitution realized the negative aspects of having parties and factions and believed that this would eventually turn the government into an out-dated system that only saught to advance the party in power's position. This is clearly evident today in our government. They seem to no longer care for the people they only care about party and special interests.

These are just a few things I would do, what about you all.

The writers of the Constitution most certainly did mean to keep a balance of power, a check on power in every way possible. There is nothing "fair" about a fair tax. As a percentage of income, lower income people spend more on the necessities. I believe in progressive taxation. Free trade proponents would oppose your plan about restricting the movement of companies.
Beetle01 Wrote:First thing I would do is do away with all the free trade agreements. I would then negotiate fair trade agreements. I would cut the corporate tax rate so that it is competitive in a world market, so that American companies are not punished for being here.

Bring about a flat tax rate, and do away with all the loopholes that the rich use to get out of paying taxes. Increase their taxes all you want, with the loopholes we have now it doesn't matter if you bump them to 75%. However, I will not want to punish those that are successful.

If possible do away with all pork spending, we waste Billions of dollars every year on pointless projects. Put that money into education. People drawing govt. checks will be required to take monthly drug tests. Those drawing checks that are not disabled will be required to be actively searching for jobs and/or pursuing an education. If you are not doing either you will not recive money. If you fail 3 drug tests, you will not recieve any more money.

I will increase the pay of soldiers, and do what I can to see that their healthcare becomes better.

I will increase funding for higher education, I will also make govt insurance available for those in college who do not fall under their parents plans.

I will require all businesses to supply insurance for their employees, whether they are full time or part time. For small businesses that hire students, if that student is eligible for their parents plans, they must be carried by them. I will give tax breaks for these businesses so that they do not go under.

I will increase tariffs on countires with poor human rights records, who basically use their population as slave labor,so that it will not be cheaper to import from them. Places like China for example. I will try and create an atmosphere in the world and here where there is once again pride in buying American.

It will not be cheaper for companies to export goods from foreign countires who import none or very little goods from our shores. I am okay with fair trade where both countries have something to gain from doing business together.

I will begin deporting all illegal immigrants immediately. I will increase the number of legal immigrants allowed in. If an illegal is caught more than 3 times, they will serve a 25 year sentence on a work farm. I will create work farms that provide food ran by prisoners for prisoners. I will work to make prisons self sustainable so that the cost of these prisons decreases. I will not privatize our prison system, which is where we are headed now.

I will work to free up treatments and cures which are currently being held by drug companies so that they will make more profit. I will not turn my back on the drug companies, they spend millions working on these cures and treatments, the govt will help them with their costs. Noone will be denied a life saving treatment or cure.

For a conservative it appears I wish to do alot of spending, but I know that by bringing jobs back and companies back, along with doing away with useless spending, there will be a substantial amount of money added to our coffers to sponsor such actions.

I think these simple steps would go a long way in bettering our country for generations to come.

Government spending is always a waste unless it's spent in my own backyard...and this is human nature. An analogy: I will believe that money is not that important in education when rich people stop spending so much of it to educate their own children. Of course the government wastes some money: all of us do, or at least most of us. We also spend a lot of money on necessities, things necessary to sustain life at basic levels. So many of our reactions are kneejerk, without thought or understanding of the "how" of how things work, especially human nature.
thecavemaster Wrote:The writers of the Constitution most certainly did mean to keep a balance of power, a check on power in every way possible. There is nothing "fair" about a fair tax. As a percentage of income, lower income people spend more on the necessities. I believe in progressive taxation. Free trade proponents would oppose your plan about restricting the movement of companies.

It's sooo much easier tearing other folk's ideas apart than coming up with your own, isn't it ??

Smile Smile

If that's your objection to the Fair Tax, you haven't looked too deeply into it. Money spent on "necessities" (food, housing, and medical expenses) is reimbursed on a monthly basis for lower wage earners. That makes it a "progressive" system, there are NO loopholes, AND it's much more efficient as people automatically and passively pay their taxes as they go.

:Thumbs:
I think we would need to start slowly and work from the bottom up, so I would first focus on (1)cutting government waste and spending, this would mean a smaller government. (2) Increase manufacturing jobs through out the U.S. (3) Strive to become energy independent. (4) Improve our military and defense systems. (5) Work toward reducing the immagration problem.
oneijoe Wrote:It's sooo much easier tearing other folk's ideas apart than coming up with your own, isn't it ??

Smile Smile

If that's your objection to the Fair Tax, you haven't looked too deeply into it. Money spent on "necessities" (food, housing, and medical expenses) is reimbursed on a monthly basis for lower wage earners. That makes it a "progressive" system, there are NO loopholes, AND it's much more efficient as people automatically and passively pay their taxes as they go.

:Thumbs:

If you will familiarize yourself with many other threads, you will find I have posted multitudes of my own ideas. Debate is about stating your own ideas, "picking apart" opposing views, meeting objections of the other side. The Fair Tax is "progressive" only in as much as its proponents need it to be. It's like selling a used car with a bad motor by focusing on the pretty wheels.
thecavemaster Wrote:If you will familiarize yourself with many other threads, you will find I have posted multitudes of my own ideas. Debate is about stating your own ideas, "picking apart" opposing views, meeting objections of the other side. The Fair Tax is "progressive" only in as much as its proponents need it to be. It's like selling a used car with a bad motor by focusing on the pretty wheels.

Idon't understand the the idea of the progressive tax? In a fair tax system the taxes on the lower incomes are not going to raise, they are going to be the same if not less, if they even pay any at all. However, what you're saying is that the higher incomes should pay a higher percentage of their income because it costs people who make less money more of their overall income for their necessities. Why are we raising it on the higher income people though? It makes no sense to me. It is in no way helping those who make less money, you're just taking money away from other hard working people. Do you in some way feel they should be punished because they make more money than someone else?
Beetle01 Wrote:Idon't understand the the idea of the progressive tax? In a fair tax system the taxes on the lower incomes are not going to raise, they are going to be the same if not less, if they even pay any at all. However, what you're saying is that the higher incomes should pay a higher percentage of their income because it costs people who make less money more of their overall income for their necessities. Why are we raising it on the higher income people though? It makes no sense to me. It is in no way helping those who make less money, you're just taking money away from other hard working people. Do you in some way feel they should be punished because they make more money than someone else?

20% of $40,000 as opposed to 35% of 200,000 leaves Person A with $32,000, minus other taxes, property and vehicle and cell phone etc. Person B is left with around $130,000. I believe in progressive taxation.
thecavemaster Wrote:20% of $40,000 as opposed to 35% of 200,000 leaves Person A with $32,000, minus other taxes, property and vehicle and cell phone etc. Person B is left with around $130,000. I believe in progressive taxation.

Still why do you want to take more money away from the person who makes 200,000? It in no way benefits the person making 40k. So why are we taking more away from the person making 200k? If a person makes more money they pay a larger amount to taxes, that is fair, they should not also pay a higher percentage becaue someone who makes less than them feels they should since times may be harder on them and they want to spread the pain. It seems that you want people who make more money to feel as much pain as someone who makes less. That is not the way this country was designed and it is not the type of country I would hope most of us want to live in.
Beetle01 Wrote:Still why do you want to take more money away from the person who makes 200,000? It in no way benefits the person making 40k. So why are we taking more away from the person making 200k? If a person makes more money they pay a larger amount to taxes, that is fair, they should not also pay a higher percentage becaue someone who makes less than them feels they should since times may be harder on them and they want to spread the pain. It seems that you want people who make more money to feel as much pain as someone who makes less. That is not the way this country was designed and it is not the type of country I would hope most of us want to live in.

Have you ever read in the ot about the year of Jubilee? It was supposed to be observed every fifty years. It was ordained by "god" and was a sort of massive redistribution of wealth "program" and was anchored in "god's" view of justice and fairness within the nation of Israel. Check it out, then compare it to your desire to anchor in Judaeo/Christian tradition.
thecavemaster Wrote:Have you ever read in the ot about the year of Jubilee? It was supposed to be observed every fifty years. It was ordained by "god" and was a sort of massive redistribution of wealth "program" and was anchored in "god's" view of justice and fairness within the nation of Israel. Check it out, then compare it to your desire to anchor in Judaeo/Christian tradition.

Where in the Bible is "progressive" tithing mentioned ??

That's right, tithing is based a straight percentage. You think that's wrong ?!?

- NOW I expect you'll talk about separation of church and state...ie, not wanting to answer.