Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell's season in review.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Despite the problems that many of us noted throughout the year I just wanted to give the kids on the team and the coaches the benefit of the doubt for once.

Yeah the season ended a little earlier than anybody wanted and yes I think they lost a couple of game that they really shouldn't have lost.

But, looking back Simon Kenton is still going in the 6A playoffs and Belfry most likely will make it back to Louisville this year. There is no shame in losing a game to either of those teams especially on the road.

Ashland had a very up and down team. When they were on they played very well. Raceland and Mason County were also very good teams.

For the kids comming back. Don't get down, GET MAD. Hit the weights in the off season and get ready to come back next season with a vengence. No matter what the Red Devil fans will be on your side.
FBALL Wrote:Despite the problems that many of us noted throughout the year I just wanted to give the kids on the team and the coaches the benefit of the doubt for once.

Yeah the season ended a little earlier than anybody wanted and yes I think they lost a couple of game that they really shouldn't have lost.

But, looking back Simon Kenton is still going in the 6A playoffs and Belfry most likely will make it back to Louisville this year. There is no shame in losing a game to either of those teams especially on the road.

Ashland had a very up and down team. When they were on they played very well. Raceland and Mason County were also very good teams.

For the kids comming back. Don't get down, GET MAD. Hit the weights in the off season and get ready to come back next season with a vengence. No matter what the Red Devil fans will be on your side.

Very well said FBALL.

Is there any word if Ivan plans on returning? I sure hope he does.
Russell had a tough season. They had ups and they had downs. They will be back next year stronger than ever. Like Fball said work hard in the off season and get ready for next year. No matter what happens the Russell faithful will always be behind you.
How many starters do the Red Devils return?
5 that I can count right off,
Wil Rice 5"8" 180 LB,FB
Steven Stapleton 5'10" 175 DB
Travis Jones 6'1" 210 guard, RB??
Spencer Hutchinson 6'0" 210 Center,guard,NG
Kam Smith 5'9" 200 LB and O-Line Anywhere!!

Which makes predictions interesting for next year.
QB- Sparks, Dehoff, Roark or Alleshouse
FB- Wil Rice
RB- Travis Jones,Jesse White, Joel Korzep,Dehoff,Davidson(soph),Max Rogers
Center- BIG JOHN Evans,Hutchinson
Guards-Kam Smith, Lee Marr,Zach Smith,Big John Evans
Tackles-Andy Lyon,????
Ends- Dehoff, MAX ROGERS, Bruce Bates

I can also see som eof these kids making a statement next year as Sophomores:
easier to do this:
6Brian Conley5' 8"170QB / DB9Zach Dickens5' 8"170RB / DB18Paul Spradlin5' 9"170RB / LB33Logan Dehoff (Captain)6' 1"180RB / LB27Miles Mussetter (Captain)5' 9"170RB / DB35Zach Thompson5' 8"170RB / DB40Justin Davidson (Captain)6' 2"185TE / DE52Sean Murphy5' 9"190OL /DL56Luke Bailey (Captain)6' 0"175E / DE65Jace Kibby5' 10"230OL / DL67TJ Pickett6' 0"210OL / DL71Cody Minnehan5' 10"175OL / LB73Myles Lane5' 9"185OL / DL76Erik Pierce6' 2"190OL / DL95Cody Castle6' 2"175OL / DL

I can see some of these sophomores next year getting a chance to play alot.
Good luck DEVILS in the off season and get ready for next year...right now we all better root for the PIRATES of BELFRY to wipe away the taste of bitterness and down the Yellowjackets of Central for revenge.
russell will come back..
Jeepman Wrote:Russell had a tough season. They had ups and they had downs. They will be back next year stronger than ever. Like Fball said work hard in the off season and get ready for next year. No matter what happens the Russell faithful will always be behind you.

Lay off the fantasy juice Jeepman. It ain't gonna happen.
DevilsWin Wrote:Lay off the fantasy juice Jeepman. It ain't gonna happen.
I actually have some hope for next year. I don't think they will be competing for a state championship. I do think they will be a good team that will play with more effort. With the schedule for next year I think 6-4 maybe 7-3 going into the playoffs as district champion or runner up.

You really never know how a season will turn out.
FBALL Wrote:I actually have some hope for next year. I don't think they will be competing for a state championship. I do think they will be a good team that will play with more effort. With the schedule for next year I think 6-4 maybe 7-3 going into the playoffs as district champion or runner up.

You really never know how a season will turn out.
They may be stronger than 2008, but not "Stronger than Ever".:devilflam
DevilsWin Wrote:They may be stronger than 2008, but not "Stronger than Ever".:devilflam
Its a figure of speech. Relax.

I don't think they will be stronger than 2008. I do think they will be more disciplined and focussed.
FBALL Wrote:Its a figure of speech. Relax.

I don't think they will be stronger than 2008. I do think they will be more disciplined and focussed.

:relaxing:
Next year may be a tough year. Depends on the off season. The line will likely be very small next year.

I'd say 5-5 regular season.
One good thing is that this is the first Russell team in a while that comes into the season with low expectations. There certainly won't be much pressure on them.

I still think they'll do better than 5-5, though. Look at their schedule:

East Carter
Greenup County
@ Ironton, OH
Ashland
@ Boyd County
@ West Carter
Fleming County
@ Mason County
Lewis County
@ Raceland

The only games I would expect them to lose are Ironton, Ashland, and Mason County. We dropped Simon Kenton from the schedule. We also dropped Lawrence County who will probably be pretty decent next year. I would have liked to have seen them add someone other than East Carter.

You never can tell, though, who is going to step up or down during the offseason.
East Carter still going to be 3 a next yr? I see khsaa shows them as 4a with Boyd & Greenup has this changed ? Thought they were always in our district. I guess I just missed it -----I don't know seems like the pressure would be on turning last season around......at least it should be.
ryanparker Wrote:One good thing is that this is the first Russell team in a while that comes into the season with low expectations. There certainly won't be much pressure on them.

I still think they'll do better than 5-5, though. Look at their schedule:

East Carter
Greenup County
@ Ironton, OH
Ashland
@ Boyd County
@ West Carter
Fleming County
@ Mason County
Lewis County
@ Raceland

The only games I would expect them to lose are Ironton, Ashland, and Mason County. We dropped Simon Kenton from the schedule. We also dropped Lawrence County who will probably be pretty decent next year. I would have liked to have seen them add someone other than East Carter.

You never can tell, though, who is going to step up or down during the offseason.

I think the schedule is fine. You want a schedule that will test you but you also want to play a schedule that doesn't beat you to death either.

The only problem I have with it is @Raceland. We should have kept Simon Kenton.
the fire they had before the game in 06, was not there before the game this year, i said that in the press box, and one of the radio announcer,said you wont see the same kind of team either when they play, and he was right..
FBALL Wrote:I think the schedule is fine. You want a schedule that will test you but you also want to play a schedule that doesn't beat you to death either.

The only problem I have with it is @Raceland. We should have kept Simon Kenton.

:yikes: ... and let them have another year of rubbing it in your face?
EKUAlum05 Wrote::yikes: ... and let them have another year of rubbing it in your face?
Lord I hope not. It took one of the better Raceland teams ever to pull out a close one over an average Russell team. Most years I get to gloat. Still don't want to play them in that cracker box stadium or anywhere else for that matter.
cuppett777 Wrote:the fire they had before the game in 06, was not there before the game this year, i said that in the press box, and one of the radio announcer,said you wont see the same kind of team either when they play, and he was right..
Thats kind of what most of us had said all year. The game at Belfry scared me because I knew that Russell would not match that intensity. I hoped they would but they did not.

The frustrating part is that despite the laid back attitude of this team they still had alot of talent. Not as much as 06 but enough to be a very good team. That was probably the most frustrating part to everyone from the players themselves to the coaches to the fans.
FBALL Wrote:Lord I hope not. It took one of the better Raceland teams ever to pull out a close one over an average Russell team. Most years I get to gloat. Still don't want to play them in that cracker box stadium or anywhere else for that matter.
Whoop Whoop !
jgrubby Wrote:Whoop Whoop !
I still hate you.
I REALLY wish I had been able to see the game. I just could not believe Belfry crushed Russell like that.

Every team has down years talent wise. Believe it or not, IMO, 2006 (the 19-0game) was a DOWN year for Belfry. You saw the result - Russell dominated.

I will say this. Russell has a GREAT 3a program. Maybe more kids and more support than anyone, but there are more GOOD young skill guys at Belfry than I have EVER seen. Not saying they are the best players, but there are just a TON of really athletic/skilled kids. Russell better finds some athletes.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I REALLY wish I had been able to see the game. I just could not believe Belfry crushed Russell like that.

Every team has down years talent wise. Believe it or not, IMO, 2006 (the 19-0game) was a DOWN year for Belfry. You saw the result - Russell dominated.

I will say this. Russell has a GREAT 3a program. Maybe more kids and more support than anyone, but there are more GOOD young skill guys at Belfry than I have EVER seen. Not saying they are the best players, but there are just a TON of really athletic/skilled kids. Russell better finds some athletes.

It wasn't skill players that beat Russell like that. It was the total domination of the worst line in Russell history. Miller and Dillon were pretty good. However, everyone else along the front would ride the bench of any other decent team in the state. Not to mention defensively we were very small. Played tough, but really just didn't have enough meat on the bones to stop Belfry. Just how it goes sometimes. Russell while it has some nice tradition is still a very small community and school, and does not have the benefit of players crossing state borders to play for them. So they will have down years every once in awhile. The 97 season was maybe the worst. But then you started a run of some very very good football teams. Just as before then you had some very very good football teams. So after next year I think Russell will start challenging again. They have some very good players coming up.
Beetle01 Wrote:It wasn't skill players that beat Russell like that. It was the total domination of the worst line in Russell history. Miller and Dillon were pretty good. However, everyone else along the front would ride the bench of any other decent team in the state. Not to mention defensively we were very small. Played tough, but really just didn't have enough meat on the bones to stop Belfry. Just how it goes sometimes. Russell while it has some nice tradition is still a very small community and school, and does not have the benefit of players crossing state borders to play for them. So they will have down years every once in awhile. The 97 season was maybe the worst. But then you started a run of some very very good football teams. Just as before then you had some very very good football teams. So after next year I think Russell will start challenging again. They have some very good players coming up.
You don't have to be huge to have a good offensive line or good defense in highschool football. Russell I thought was a little bigger than Belfry. Belfry just had faster kids that were more athletic on the LOS.

If Russell can get the right kids in the right spots and use quickness instead of raw size they should be OK. But that requires everybody to do their job and not worry about the glory of running the ball or making every tackle.

The Rockcastle teams of a few years back were good examples. They were not big at all. But they were athletic at every position.
It seems some have taken a doom and gloom attitude towards Russell... but the Devils have several facotrs in their favor that nearly assures they will be in the hunt every single year.

1. Feeder System- The JFL is as good as you will find anywhere in KY, and loaded with caring coaches. The vast majority of these kids enter HS with the fundamentals already down, where the coaches can now focus more on schemes and personal skill improvement.

2. Facilities- Russell has a very good weight trainign and conditioning program already in place. There will never be any doubt whether Russell teams will be bale to compete physcically. The flexibility of the program can also help it evolve with time. Evidently speed training and agility may be the next step. It is much easier for Russell to improve this when the base of what they need and the facilities needed are already there.

3. Numbers- Russell will always draw over 50+ kids out. This not only amplifies the available talent to pull from and develop..but it provides critical depth and the ability to practice against better talent.

4. Coaching Stability*- I put an asterisk on this because there will always be the possibility of an unforseen retirement by McGlone due to health or personal reasons, but the fact remains that McGlone and his top asisstants won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Thus the possibility of a cataclysmic event occuring, or the program completely changing their system and philosophy does nto exist as with other schools with constant coaching turnaround.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It seems some have taken a doom and gloom attitude towards Russell... but the Devils have several facotrs in their favor that nearly assures they will be in the hunt every single year.

1. Feeder System- The JFL is as good as you will find anywhere in KY, and loaded with caring coaches. The vast majority of these kids enter HS with the fundamentals already down, where the coaches can now focus more on schemes and personal skill improvement.

You are 100 percent right here, this is the main reason why Russell has been able to compete most years. The countless Dads and others who did not have kids in the program who devoted their time to the sport and the kids.

2. Facilities- Russell has a very good weight trainign and conditioning program already in place. There will never be any doubt whether Russell teams will be bale to compete physcically. The flexibility of the program can also help it evolve with time. Evidently speed training and agility may be the next step. It is much easier for Russell to improve this when the base of what they need and the facilities needed are already there.

Definetly not, some of the worst facilities in Eky. There is somewhat of a weight training program, but is a joke when compared to most schools. Most of the "weight training" comes from "Flinstone" vitamins.

3. Numbers- Russell will always draw over 50+ kids out. This not only amplifies the available talent to pull from and develop..but it provides critical depth and the ability to practice against better talent.

also not true, the classes are getting smaller and smaller. I remember when there would be 40 or 50 kids on the freshman team, now they have to pull up 8th graders to even field a team.

4. Coaching Stability*- I put an asterisk on this because there will always be the possibility of an unforseen retirement by McGlone due to health or personal reasons, but the fact remains that McGlone and his top asisstants won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Thus the possibility of a cataclysmic event occuring, or the program completely changing their system and philosophy does nto exist as with other schools with constant coaching turnaround.

Also not true, Jones is retiring soon. Ivan needs to be, the man can't even remember the plays he is calling anymore. He's been running the same 10 plays for 33 years. The game has passed him by,(I'm not judging that by this year, I was hoping he would be gone before I got there myself, it was a joke to play there Russell is what it is because of the JFL and the dads and coaches involved in it. I learned more about football from them and in 1 year at Ashland than I did in 3 at Russell, actually I learned nothing at Russell, because there was no coaching going on. I would like to see all of them step down except Morris, if he wants the Hc then he should have his shot. If not then keep him as defensive coordinator. I'd like to see Maynard brought in from Raceland as head coach, if he wanted it, maybe not but he should be number 1. ALso bring in Jeff Frasure and Chris Holbrook. With those 4 you would have a young motivated staff that would actually have a conditioning program. This is when Russell would really become a true football program. Get rid of the coaches who are more interested in the accolades they recieve than their students. Ivan has been caught throwing away letters from colleges for players. They do nothing to help players go on anywhere, I played with way too many players who could have easily played somewhere. Of course when you talk to college coaches after HS and they ask you why you never contacted them back, and you have no idea they tried to contact you. Pieces start falling into place. This did not occur to me, but atleast 10 other people I know, just from my grade and the grade above mine. How many other kids over 33 years?
If you think Russell has some of the worst facilities in Eastern Kentucky then I am afraid you have never stepped foot off campus to an away game. The MAJORITY of Eastern Kentucky schools would love to ahve the facilities that Russell has. Wasn;t Russell the State Powerlifting Champions last year? I don't think Flintstone vitamins and milk could accomplish that alone.

Compare Russell's numbers with nearly any other school with the same enrollment.. every team In Russell's district, regon, and semi-sate wish they could have those numbers. In fact, with the exception of maybe Belfry, Harlan County, and maybe Elizabtehtown and Central..I would venture to say the Devils have 10 more kids than any other 3A team this past season.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If you think Russell has some of the worst facilities in Eastern Kentucky then I am afraid you have never stepped foot off campus to an away game. The MAJORITY of Eastern Kentucky schools would love to ahve the facilities that Russell has. Wasn;t Russell the State Powerlifting Champions last year? I don't think Flintstone vitamins and milk could accomplish that alone.

Compare Russell's numbers with nearly any other school with the same enrollment.. every team In Russell's district, regon, and semi-sate wish they could have those numbers. In fact, with the exception of maybe Belfry, Harlan County, and maybe Elizabtehtown and Central..I would venture to say the Devils have 10 more kids than any other 3A team this past season.

You obviously dont know what type of flinstone vitamins I'm talking about.

Numbers still arent what they used to be.

The facilities are terrible, field and stadium are decent, but the field house is atrocious.
Beetle01 Wrote:Also not true, Jones is retiring soon. Ivan needs to be, the man can't even remember the plays he is calling anymore. He's been running the same 10 plays for 33 years. The game has passed him by,(I'm not judging that by this year, I was hoping he would be gone before I got there myself, it was a joke to play there Russell is what it is because of the JFL and the dads and coaches involved in it. I learned more about football from them and in 1 year at Ashland than I did in 3 at Russell, actually I learned nothing at Russell, because there was no coaching going on. I would like to see all of them step down except Morris, if he wants the Hc then he should have his shot. If not then keep him as defensive coordinator. I'd like to see Maynard brought in from Raceland as head coach, if he wanted it, maybe not but he should be number 1. ALso bring in Jeff Frasure and Chris Holbrook. With those 4 you would have a young motivated staff that would actually have a conditioning program. This is when Russell would really become a true football program. Get rid of the coaches who are more interested in the accolades they recieve than their students. Ivan has been caught throwing away letters from colleges for players. They do nothing to help players go on anywhere, I played with way too many players who could have easily played somewhere. Of course when you talk to college coaches after HS and they ask you why you never contacted them back, and you have no idea they tried to contact you. Pieces start falling into place. This did not occur to me, but atleast 10 other people I know, just from my grade and the grade above mine. How many other kids over 33 years?

Of the kids that did leave Russell and play Division 1 ball I know of 2 that got their Scholys because of their parents efforts not because of the efforts of the coaching staff.
That being said, I've heard rumors about these letters being tossed for 20 years but as far as I know those are just rumors.

I'm not gonna bash anyone on the staff because I think most of them are good people but their are a few that don't bring much to the table.

As for the JFL Dads, Yes! They are the ones who built this program. Hats of to them. Everyone from LG Mullins & Don Jones to Richey Bloom & Doug Messer have made a big impact on Russells Program. They are to be commended.

Some New Blood would do the program some good I think. Those young coaches are gifted and hungry and should be given the reigns at Russell.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If you think Russell has some of the worst facilities in Eastern Kentucky then I am afraid you have never stepped foot off campus to an away game. The MAJORITY of Eastern Kentucky schools would love to ahve the facilities that Russell has. Wasn;t Russell the State Powerlifting Champions last year? I don't think Flintstone vitamins and milk could accomplish that alone.

Russell should have 80 kids Soph-Senior Every year!
Pages: 1 2 3