Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should HS baseball go to Wooden Bats only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Thoughts!!
No, but I do think college should.
yeah not hs but coll should start getting around to it
Safety resaons, Maybe. But most high school kids couldn't hit it out of the infield. I would love to pitch in high school if they used wooden bats.
No, I dont think that they should use wooden bats.
I think they should throw in some tournaments where only wooden bats are allowed and see how it goes but i think college should def. go to wooden bats
I think highschool should for saftey reasons and just for the fact that they sound SOOOO much better! You gotta love the sound of a solidly hit wood bat ball. I've took some screamer's off the chest at the hot corner that literally had me thinking I was done!........after i made the play of course haha...........But I dont think it'll ever happen in college it would take down the # of home runs and ppl are obsesed w/ the long ball, also "people" would say it makes the game more boring.
im suprised that the MLB hasnt changed to metal yet. Just imagine what Josh Hamilton could've done with a metal bat
catsfan08 Wrote:im suprised that the MLB hasnt changed to metal yet. Just imagine what Josh Hamilton could've done with a metal bat

or ryan howard, and big papi!
I"m not sure which is most dangerous, baseballs flying off metal bats or the new wooden bats splintering into pieces and flying at players? The cost of wooden bats to HS teams would be prohibitive because they just don't last. I think college definitely should go to wood.
mandan Wrote:I"m not sure which is most dangerous, baseballs flying off metal bats or the new wooden bats splintering into pieces and flying at players? The cost of wooden bats to HS teams would be prohibitive because they just don't last. I think college definitely should go to wood.

The cost wouldn't only hurt high schools but small colleges as well. I think it depends on the division. If you are a Division I program in a major conference then yes wood bats should be enforced, but if you are high school, or Division II or III, along with the NAIA, it is just not financially feasable to switch to wood bats.
i dont see why you all are sayin financial problems, wood bats are like 4 times cheaper than metal bats, so if the players kno how to use the bats with out breaking them, then money shouldnt be a probelm
imagine if someone got hit with the splinters off of a wooden bat when it broke that would not be good. but also a hard line drive with a metal bat aint safe either so idk im in between on this
Raider_Nation09 Wrote:imagine if someone got hit with the splinters off of a wooden bat when it broke that would not be good. but also a hard line drive aint safe either so idk im in between on this

you can hit hard line drives with metal bats 2!

P.S. thats why you use give a glove
catsfan08 Wrote:you can hit hard line drives with metal bats 2!

P.S. thats why you use give a glove

thats what i meant a hard line drive with a metal bat
Raider_Nation09 Wrote:thats what i meant a hard line drive with a metal bat

oh srry thats my bad i guess i just read it 2 fast. but honestly i doubt they will switch because you tweak a wood bat alot easier than a metal and plus its alot safer, i have my opinion but wood bats wont be in hig schools atleast 5 or 10 years after d3 or naia teams have switched
There are already some wooden bat classic tournments for high school teams
catsfan08 Wrote:i dont see why you all are sayin financial problems, wood bats are like 4 times cheaper than metal bats, so if the players kno how to use the bats with out breaking them, then money shouldnt be a probelm

Have you ever seen or noticed how many bats that professional baseball players have with them during games? It's atleast up to 4 or 5 if not more, and the reason for that is how easy it is to break them, even if you know how to use them, you can still break them very easily....
absolutely not
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Have you ever seen or noticed how many bats that professional baseball players have with them during games? It's atleast up to 4 or 5 if not more, and the reason for that is how easy it is to break them, even if you know how to use them, you can still break them very easily....

has any1 been hit with the other half of the bat? Has any1 been killed by the broken half?
catsfan08 Wrote:has any1 been hit with the other half of the bat? Has any1 been killed by the broken half?

What does that have to do with the capital aspect of what were talking about???
well you all keep saying they break easy? so if they have never hit any1 then why should that be a prob
catsfan08 Wrote:well you all keep saying they break easy? so if they have never hit any1 then why should that be a prob

It's all over the news about how dangerous it is when they break and splinter off, I don't know what your getting at, but it doesn't have anything to do with the financial part of it and that's all I was getting at so......
i am for wooden bats, but truely i dont think there is a clear advantage to have either one. all im sayin if mlb players dont get hurt seriously, then i doubt high school players will 2
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:What does that have to do with the capital aspect of what were talking about???
The safety aspect.
There are two strikes against wooden bats:

One, the major bat companies rely mainly on revenues from metal bat sales....wooden bats (aside from the specialty maple market) are not major revenue providers. Most professional athletes have contracts with bat companies and receive their bats at cost or for free. The production of metal bats is much less involved because there's no lumber to cut, collect and work, and therefore is much easier to mass produce for amateur markets. Hence, no high school market, bat companies go under

two, wood bats are cheaper. However, they are not nearly as durable and should HS go to wood bats, the quality would be compromised because they would have to be produced in such larger quantities. If you buy a random wood bat at Dicks, you're getting a very inferior product. Mass produced bats would shatter constantly, driving the price way up, and even at $40 a pop, 10 bats in a season wouldn't be out of the question
You are forgetting tee ball, little league, and middle schools and all the other leagues. I doubt that they would go under
most marketing is done to high school aged players in any sporting goods marketing scheme. the High School market is significantly larger because of discerning demand and wear and tear.
One major fault to wooden bats is the choice of using Maple as opposed to Hickory or Ash. Hickory and Ash are much stronger than Maple and would all but eliminate the splintering of bats.
I have heard that about maple not being as stron as ash or oak. But it's like using a -3, if its not oak, ash, or whatever, you can just make them grab another bat that isn't what they previously used. I know you all are still gonna say the bat will shatter but I think if they just throw in some wooden bat tournaments and just see just what happens.
Pages: 1 2 3 4