Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should dunking be allowed during warmups after refs come out of their dressing room?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thoughts!!
I think if your gonna dunk do it during the game.
If you can do it in the game, then it should be allowed in warm ups!
During the game only.
I think you should be allowed to. But I also think game rules should apply in warmups too. If you grab or hang on the rim, call the T. That goes for all the ones who think they can dunk, go up and lay the ball over the rim and pull the rim down to hear it pop. But if you really can dunk, you can just jump up and act like you are going to dunk it but just drop it threw the goal.
I still think this is one of the most useless, meaningless, let's give the refs something to do before the game rules. If you can dunk, then you should be able to dunk. You're not going to go in the game and go up to the rim and just lay it in.
Definitely should be able to dunk.
I never understood why you could do it in the games yet they dont want you to dunk during warm ups? Kinda one of those rules that make you scratch your head and ask what in the heck were they thinking.
This is the dumbest rule ever, its even worse than the BCS. Who cares if someone dunks a basketball. Is it gonna hurt the refs eyes if he sees it?
I don't see what the problem would be.
Well imagine all the kids going up and dunking, what all could happen? Kids could get hurt first of all, many people sued, starting with Refs, then school, then board of education, etc... Another thing that could happen, a lot of gyms don't have the right kind of back boards to take a lot of dunking, to many dunks, could crack or even break, shattering and then no game or worse someone get eyes put out or really hurt. If the kids want to practice dunking, do it in practice, if they can do it already, use warm ups to get their legs loose so they can really dunk on someone during the game. Save the dunks for the game. no question!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Well imagine all the kids going up and dunking, what all could happen? Kids could get hurt first of all, many people sued, starting with Refs, then school, then board of education, etc... Another thing that could happen, a lot of gyms don't have the right kind of back boards to take a lot of dunking, to many dunks, could crack or even break, shattering and then no game or worse someone get eyes put out or really hurt. If the kids want to practice dunking, do it in practice, if they can do it already, use warm ups to get their legs loose so they can really dunk on someone during the game. Save the dunks for the game. no question!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.

Their are good points on both sides of the argument, but in the end, rules are rules.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Well imagine all the kids going up and dunking, what all could happen? Kids could get hurt first of all, many people sued, starting with Refs, then school, then board of education, etc... Another thing that could happen, a lot of gyms don't have the right kind of back boards to take a lot of dunking, to many dunks, could crack or even break, shattering and then no game or worse someone get eyes put out or really hurt. If the kids want to practice dunking, do it in practice, if they can do it already, use warm ups to get their legs loose so they can really dunk on someone during the game. Save the dunks for the game. no question!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree. All this stuff could also happen in the game. Should they not allow it in a game either? With that said I am in favor of allowing a player to dunk in warmups after the refs come out of the locker room.
If people could be sued for something happening during warmups could't they be sued durring the game or practice?
Very few high school players in the country could break a backboard if it was only a dunk. When you dunk, grab the rim to pull yourself up on or to pop the rim is what would help with the backboard breaking. Which is against the rules in a game unless the player could comedown on someone and get hurt. Real dunks dont pop the goal down, or shake the rafters or anything like that without cheating and doing a little hanging.
I imagine one reason why they don't want players to dunk during warmups would be a number of players who really can't dunk or dunk well attempting it just to show off. If they see a few other players doing it then they feel the need to do it too, to show that they can, but that just turns into a big mess with everyone on both teams attempting it. An attempt and no completion would be a quick way to get injured.
should be able to dunk
Whats wrong of not bein able to dunk for 5 min. or so. the rule needs to stay because you got 5 min. before they come out then you have a game. an i doubt you will get scouted just because you dunk durin warm ups
i dont see why it shoudnt be.
I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone knows that every team has one or two players who can dunk it. This rule is stupid, its just something to make the refs look like they are doing something. All that crap about gettin hurt and suing the school is crazy too, because it can happen in a game or at practice just as well. Its just a rule so other teams won't fell intimidated and get shaken up before a game. If you can jump that high and dunk then you should be allowed to whenever you get on the court. imo.
catsfan08 Wrote:Whats wrong of not bein able to dunk for 5 min. or so. the rule needs to stay because you got 5 min. before they come out then you have a game. an i doubt you will get scouted just because you dunk durin warm ups
The same question can go both ways, if it is just 5 minutes before the game, why cant it be done then? What would 5 extra minutes hurt?
Game only, too big of injury risk in warmups..
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:The same question can go both ways, if it is just 5 minutes before the game, why cant it be done then? What would 5 extra minutes hurt?

What are you most likely to do in a game shoot a jump shot or dunk? I'd say its a pretty one sided saying your gonna shot a jump shot so i think you need to practice your shot more than your dunk, you can practice your dunk in practice an show off in the game not in warm ups
BlueSky Wrote:Game only, too big of injury risk in warmups..

Just how many 'dunk related' injuries have you witnessed ? I once tore a rim from a middle school backboard while dunking in a scrimmage and landed flat on my back, but no real injury. In those shattered backboards in the pros I don't think that anyone has been injured. I don't think that the rule is due to fear of injury. I think that all schools now have the break-a-way rims.

Dunking may be over rated, but the fans like to watch it, and the players like to do it, and it is a legal move in games. It seems foolish to ban dunks in warm ups. Big post players especially may need to work on their post moves in warm ups instead of their jump shots. Kind of discriminatory, actually.
catsfan08 Wrote:What are you most likely to do in a game shoot a jump shot or dunk? I'd say its a pretty one sided saying your gonna shot a jump shot so i think you need to practice your shot more than your dunk, you can practice your dunk in practice an show off in the game not in warm ups
Most of the time dunking in the pregame warm ups is during layups. From my point of view, if you can get above the rim, that helps get your legs loosened up more than shooting a lay up. Back in the day, I could just about jump out of the gym. And in a game situation, if I had that layup, I had a dunk. It didnt do anything to me to warm or loosen my legs up shooting layups where I couldnt really jump at all. What I did, was jump for the dunk, and just drop the ball down threw the goal without actually dunking it.
i think you should be able to dunk but i think the coaches should tell their players if you cant dunk at least 50% of your dunks don't attempt to it just looks sloppy when you got kids that cant really finish trying to dunk.
ukfootballrocks Wrote:i think you should be able to dunk but i think the coaches should tell their players if you cant dunk at least 50% of your dunks don't attempt to it just looks sloppy when you got kids that cant really finish trying to dunk.

yeah but these are high schoolers i doubt they will listen
I have never liked the rule. But it's meaningless anyway. How many times have you seen a ref call a T on a player for dunking in warmups? I've seen officials walk out on the floor and the players, unaware that they were out there, continue to dunk. But it's usually always ignored by the stripes. Very few will call it.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I have never liked the rule. But it's meaningless anyway. How many times have you seen a ref call a T on a player for dunking in warmups? I've seen officials walk out on the floor and the players, unaware that they were out there, continue to dunk. But it's usually always ignored by the stripes. Very few will call it.

I have heard of ref's T'ing a player up for touching the rim.
kybaseball Wrote:I have heard of ref's T'ing a player up for touching the rim.
I've never seen that happen. I would think it would be extremely rare.
Pages: 1 2 3