Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: If you were the Basketball Coach at UK...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's your opportunity to be the best armchair coach for Uk you can be!

Name your starting 5 & top 8 rotation.
Tell us what the problem(s) is/are and how you would coach'em up!Big Grin
I think you have to have the following:

PG= Liggins
SG= Meeks
SF=Harris
PF=Patterson
C= Harrellson

Come off the bench with: Miller, Stevenson, Galloway, Stewart,

I think Harris can play Defense and get some rebounds and score 6-8 points, Harrellson because of his size and he would not get pushed around like Stevenson does. Then, slow the TEMPO down and feed the MAN down low
Navajo4life Wrote:I think you have to have the following:

PG= Liggins
SG= Meeks
SF=Harris
PF=Patterson
C= Harrellson

Come off the bench with: Miller, Stevenson, Galloway, Stewart,

I think Harris can play Defense and get some rebounds and score 6-8 points, Harrellson because of his size and he would not get pushed around like Stevenson does. Then, slow the TEMPO down and feed the MAN down low

I like it.

Only thing that bugs me is why Galloway doesn't get any playing time.
Look, I was a decent high school shooter, but my coach would not have let me ball hog and force shots like Meeks for 1 second, let alone 2 games. No decent scorer in the country would want to come to Uk in the next 2 years if they are guaranteed maybe 2 or 3 shots a game. What about all the touches BCG promised Patterson?
allseasonfan Wrote:Look, I was a decent high school shooter, but my coach would not have let me ball hog and force shots like Meeks for 1 second, let alone 2 games. No decent scorer in the country would want to come to Uk in the next 2 years if they are guaranteed maybe 2 or 3 shots a game. What about all the touches BCG promised Patterson?

I don't like the ball-hogging either, but Meeks is our only shooter.

IMO, Meeks can shoot all he wants as long as Patterson gets his touches.
PG-Liggins
SG-Miller
SF-Harris
PF-Patterson
C-Stevenson

I like that lineup, at least they would feed Paterson. I'd like to see Krebs and Slone get some minutes, **** they couldn't hurt us and I'm sure they'd have more pride than alot of the guys.
I have a friend who has connections with Kentucky Basketball, and he was talking to Porter and Patterson a couple of days ago and they were talking about how no one on the team liked Coach Gillispie. Said he took the fun out of basketball. So IMO he's just a Tubby re-run but a better recruiting coach
If...Then Wrote:I have a friend who has connections with Kentucky Basketball, and he was talking to Porter and Patterson a couple of days ago and they were talking about how no one on the team liked Coach Gillispie. Said he took the fun out of basketball. So IMO he's just a Tubby re-run but a better recruiting coach

if this info is true... then it will be a long year for uk
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't like the ball-hogging either, but Meeks is our only shooter.

IMO, Meeks can shoot all he wants as long as Patterson gets his touches.

True, but when you go 5 for 150, are you really a shooter? He is not taking good shots. That, my friends is coaching any way you slice it.
I am not saying BCG can't coach. But what I can say is I think he is feeling a ton of pressure already and thinks Meeks might be his savior.
catsfan08 Wrote:if this info is true... then it will be a long year for uk

I promise it is. And yes it is going to be a long year for the Cats
If...Then Wrote:I have a friend who has connections with Kentucky Basketball, and he was talking to Porter and Patterson a couple of days ago and they were talking about how no one on the team liked Coach Gillispie. Said he took the fun out of basketball. So IMO he's just a Tubby re-run but a better recruiting coach
Don't insult Tubby by setting his coaching abilities equal to Billy G's.
allseasonfan Wrote:True, but when you go 5 for 150, are you really a shooter? He is not taking good shots. That, my friends is coaching any way you slice it.

He could indeed limit his shots, but I'd much rather see him pulling up and taking a bad shot than Harris, Porter, Miller, or Liggins.
1. Liggins
2. Meeks
3. Harris
4. Stevenson
5. Patterson

sub- Galloway
sub- Stewart
sub- Miller
Panther Thunder Wrote:1. Liggins
2. Meeks
3. Harris
4. Stevenson
5. Patterson

sub- Galloway
sub- Stewart
sub- Miller

I agree, but I would play Harrellson also.
PG-Liggins
SG-Meeks
SF-Miller
PF-Steveson
C-Patterson

Sub-Harris
Sub-Harrellson
Sub-Galloway
allseasonfan Wrote:I agree, but I would play Harrellson also.
Yea, but he would be my #9.
1 Liggins
2 Meeks
3 Miller
4 Patterson
5 Harrelson

6 Stevenson
7 Harris
8 Stewart
9 Galloway
PG - Liggins
SG - Meeks
SF - Miller
PF - Stevenson
C - Patterson

Bench: Harris, Stewart and Galloway.
blackcat Wrote:PG - Liggins
SG - Meeks
SF - Miller
PF - Stevenson
C - Patterson

Bench: Harris, Stewart and Galloway.

I'd go with a three guard lineup

PG-Liggins
G-Miller
G- Meeks
F- Stevenson
F- Patterson

Harrellson would also be right in the mix at times---especially when playing a bigger team. I'd use him to spell Patterson and at times play along beside him. Harris could also be used to spell Miller. What's the deal with Galloway? He went from being "the furthest along of the new players" to a ghost....

I'd assign the ball handling duties to a "point guard by committee mentality". It's nice to use that "lead guard" thing---but you gotta have one to do that.

I think I might also use that old line from the coach in the movie Hoosiers---at least 3 passes before a shot. Has the team run any sets this year????? Our spacing is terrible!!

Another one of our big problems is they tried to initiate the offense way to far out. Here was Porter pushed out to almost half court standing there pounding the ball---that's not how to get an offense goin.

Also feeding the post would be more effective and accurate a little more from the side versus from the top of the key (like I saw several times last night). I liked how Meeks feed the ball to Patterson from the side---I think Meeks might be looked to more as a passer into the post.

I'd also use zone d. at times---especially with a young team like this one. Man to man can kill you if not played right----if you need proof just rewatch the game tape of the entire VMI game or the first half against UNC.

Well that's my armchair opinion anyway
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I like it.

I often wondered the same thing, until I heard from a very reliable source that he is the absolute worst shooter on the team. He averaged more assists than points last year in a juco program. But, still, he has to be able to take care of the ball better than porter, and porter doesn't score either.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I like it.

Me too! What's the story there? He looked good at =Midnite Madness and why in the world when you are UK would you bring in a JUCO guy who wasn't going to be an impact player immediately?
Pg-Liggins
G-Meeks
SF-Harris and Miller
F-Stevenson
C-Patterson
Off the Bench: Miller, Harrellson, Galloway, Stewart, Porter
i have to say i agree with some of you all mine would be miller, meeks,harris,patterson, stevenson... and they do need to get patterson more touches cause he made his first 8 shots before he missed the other night and just think 15 to 16 touchs they would start fouling him before then that would be 32 points and believe me that could be a nightly thing for him if they would give him the ball...porter man there is no problem or anything but i can handle the ball better than you can i could go run the show against unc and not have 28 tos that was bad
my starters would be miller meeks harris patterson stevenson but i mean i think that would help them because i think miller or liggens might be able to distribute the ball to patterson more i mean he made his first 8 shots before he missed i mean you got to think if he got 12 or 13 touches that would be a big lift...i think that i could handle the point guard spot i dont think i would cough up the ball 28 times and 54 in 2 games that is really bad
if they can do without the turnovers, they could have made it a game. Ty Lawson said after the game, they knew Kentucky would be prone to coughing the ball up, they knew Kentucky couldn't handle the pressure. That was no secret. We know that. Thats why, right now, we arn't a very good basketball team. You can't score, and you can't get any kind of offense going when they can't even get down the court with the ball. I don't know how we have players at the University of Kentucky, on a basketball scholarship, that know simple fundamental strategy. A player at that level should know that you can't dribble into a corner when your opponent is trapping. Not players at Kentucky. They dribble into a corner, pick up thier dribbles, freak the **** out, and throw the ball either A) down the middle the court B) right to the hands of a North Carolina player or C) Out of bounds
My starting 5 would be:

PG- Liggins
SG- Meeks
SF- Miller
PF- Stevenson
C- Patterson

As far as subs go, it depends on what type of team you are playing. Playing a team like VMI, you would need the quickest and most athletic players you have such as Stewart, Galloway, etc. If you are playing a team that uses their big men effectively, then you would go to a bigger lineup using Harrellson more. Saying who you are going to sub in is impossible if you don't know who your opponent is.

As far as if I were coach, I would play a straight up man to man and quit playing a help defense. When you play a D like this, you are leaving perimeter players wide open. This just can't happen. If you can't contain your man and stop him from penetrating, then your butt will be on the bench and I will have someone in who will stop the driving.

On offense, Patrick Patterson will touch the ball on every possession (minus transition). If we ran an offensive play and Patterson didn't touch the ball, I would sit all 4 players and bring in a fresh 4. I don't care how bad it makes me look as a coach or how bad we get beat to start off, my players will learn to follow my instructions. You will not win if you do not give Patterson touches. Also, Perry Stevenson will stay at the top of the key while playing the high/low game with Patterson. No way will I ever move Patterson to the top of the key on offense. He will stay and post up all night.
PG-Liggins
SG-Meeks
SF-Miller
PF-Patterson
C-Stevenson

Sub-Harris
Sub-Krebs
Sub-Stewart
I believe we are young and inexperienced but if we continue to practice them hard, then in due time, they will be better, especially when Billy G is able to put his style of players in and get rid of Tubby's ballplayers. But, as for a lineup, I would have to say PG-Liggins, SG-Meeks, SF-Miller, PF-Stevenson PF-Patterson. And I would not play Portor just because he is just terrible out there and can not help himself from turning the ball over and the only reason I see Billy G playing him is just because he has been there longer.
MVP2 Wrote:PG-Liggins
SG-Meeks
SF-Miller
PF-Steveson
C-Patterson

Sub-Harris
Sub-Harrellson
Sub-Galloway

I agree 100% on the lineup!!
Pages: 1 2