Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Win Region Go to State Tourney?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I heard they were going to vote on this for the upcoming season! Any truth to this. That would be great to throw out the sectionals and send all the regional winners to a state tourney like basketball. The sweet 16 in baseball would be sweet! Hope there is a lot of truth to this, do you think it would pass if voted on by policy board??? Just wondering
Butch Cope with the KHSAA told me a week ago it will be discussed soon. I would love to see all 16 go to Applebee's Park. If that happened it would be tough on the field crew and we would have to get some good weather! A baseball 'Sweet 16'...that would be outstanding! :yes:
I like it!!
Great ideal...
Oh that would be awesome!
I'm definately digging this
I don't like it because it is going away from letting the best teams have the better shot at the championship. Having to win 2 of 3 is a lot harder for an underdog than only having to win one game.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I don't like it because it is going away from letting the best teams have the better shot at the championship. Having to win 2 of 3 is a lot harder for an underdog than only having to win one game.

I don't believe you are going to get many followers for keeping what we have now. Give these kids the experience of a "real" state tournament. It can do nothing but help Ky baseball. It sure does not hurt basketball.
this would be great
Sun Tzu Wrote:I don't believe you are going to get many followers for keeping what we have now. Give these kids the experience of a "real" state tournament. It can do nothing but help Ky baseball. It sure does not hurt basketball.
To me it's like adding teams to the playoffs in football. It's the "give every kid a trophy" mentality. If you are good enough you'll make it there. If not, then work harder to get there next year.
Panther Thunder Wrote:To me it's like adding teams to the playoffs in football. It's the "give every kid a trophy" mentality. If you are good enough you'll make it there. If not, then work harder to get there next year.

its nothing like football, in football you just have to be in a weak region to make it. But in baseball i doubt you could make to sectionals on pure luck, so i think it is a great idea because all it would do would give more teams the taste of playing at applebees park
For those who do not want a true baseball state tournament. Yes, blowouts occur and yes sometimes upsets happen in regional play. So, should we go to a sectional in basketball to avoid the Scott County vs. Mercer County Sweet 16game of 2000? Scott County won 95-47. Or maybe the North Hardin - Whitesburg game of 2002? North Hardin won in the elite 8 matchup 92-43 (the worst blowout in Sweet 16 history). In the best two out of three matchup the best teams do win...but it would be great to have a smaller version of a College World Series type of feel to Applebee's.
This would be great for high school baseball.
It does seem more logical and practical, hopefully KHSAA impliments it into baseball because it seems to work in basketball.
Brian Milam Wrote:For those who do not want a true baseball state tournament. Yes, blowouts occur and yes sometimes upsets happen in regional play. So, should we go to a sectional in basketball to avoid the Scott County vs. Mercer County Sweet 16game of 2000? Scott County won 95-47. Or maybe the North Hardin - Whitesburg game of 2002? North Hardin won in the elite 8 matchup 92-43 (the worst blowout in Sweet 16 history). In the best two out of three matchup the best teams do win...but it would be great to have a smaller version of a College World Series type of feel to Applebee's.

Well said.
Someone was telling me that they were considering going to a class system in baseball. Not sure if it is true or not. Anyone know for sure?
Panther Thunder Wrote:To me it's like adding teams to the playoffs in football. It's the "give every kid a trophy" mentality. If you are good enough you'll make it there. If not, then work harder to get there next year.

Actually it would be fewer trophies, because there would be no semi-state round winners and runners-up.

How would it be watered down by letting 16 teams play at Applebee's Park instead of just 8?
According to the coach at Harrison co. its a done deal 16 teams to compete for state in a one and done tournament. we were told at a booster meeting .
ya that would sweet!
ya that would be sweet!
I was on that whitesburg team. That was an Elite 8 game, so even in there was a semi state game which lets say was wayne co. who was w-burg's sweet 16 game they still would've made it. Yea it was a blow out but how could someone justify your reasoning when playing on rupp arena court or at applebees could be the greatest moment of a kids young life? We earned our blow out. and believe me not a one of us would trade it for anything and I'd bet my life no one from Mercer Co. would either............Realy who cares? let 8 more deserving teams get the chance to make a upset or two!
Outstanding idea.
I love this idea!
This is so stupid, and it takes away from the elite status of the baseball state tournament. I personall wish they would go back to a final four format. The way they have it now almost secures the fact that the best teams from each area will make, sure there are upsets, but winning 2 or 3 justifies anyone for being there. The only thing and the only reason they are doing this is revenue. Chances are if they do this then you will have certain hotels you will have to stay at and of course they will get a kickback from this and whenever you add 8 more teams to this it tends to up the capital. I think they were upset with attendance for last year's tournament, but that didn't have anything to do with the teams that were there, it had to do with the bad weather for this years tournament. People didn't want to stay there all day for the championship and the semi's on the same day. The intentions for the deal are not genuine and I think it's a bad idea. Sure the weaker teams are going to love this idea, but it's not good for the sport...
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:This is so stupid, and it takes away from the elite status of the baseball state tournament. I personall wish they would go back to a final four format. The way they have it now almost secures the fact that the best teams from each area will make, sure there are upsets, but winning 2 or 3 justifies anyone for being there. The only thing and the only reason they are doing this is revenue. Chances are if they do this then you will have certain hotels you will have to stay at and of course they will get a kickback from this and whenever you add 8 more teams to this it tends to up the capital. I think they were upset with attendance for last year's tournament, but that didn't have anything to do with the teams that were there, it had to do with the bad weather for this years tournament. People didn't want to stay there all day for the championship and the semi's on the same day. The intentions for the deal are not genuine and I think it's a bad idea. Sure the weaker teams are going to love this idea, but it's not good for the sport...
Amen.
i definetlely like this idea...i dont care what other people say.
theshow2012 Wrote:i definetlely like this idea...i dont care what other people say.

Of course you would. You are representing a team who is generally statewide a weak team, and if they win the region then the format now wouldn't suite them because they wouldn't have that good of a shot to win sectionals. The only thing this does is put weaker teams in the state tournament, and it takes away from what it is suppose to be. Teams East of Lexington already have a bad rap and if you do this you will show all of them that their right. It will make it almost impossible for a mountain team to win the state if they change it to that format. LC shut a lot of people up last season and they only accomplished that because they could go 3 deep in pitching. Some of these mountain teams that only have 1 maybe 2 pitchers that are even throwing close to 80 MPH really have no idea what they are getting themselves into. They will get massacred if they were to draw a team like PRP. Atleast with the current system there aren't that many blow outs because for the most part the strongest teams year in year out in the mountains are making it to Applebees.
The idea has its positives and negatives, but hopefully we'll find out if the KHSAA will do something about it.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Of course you would. You are representing a team who is generally statewide a weak team, and if they win the region then the format now wouldn't suite them because they wouldn't have that good of a shot to win sectionals. The only thing this does is put weaker teams in the state tournament, and it takes away from what it is suppose to be. Teams East of Lexington already have a bad rap and if you do this you will show all of them that their right. It will make it almost impossible for a mountain team to win the state if they change it to that format. LC shut a lot of people up last season and they only accomplished that because they could go 3 deep in pitching. Some of these mountain teams that only have 1 maybe 2 pitchers that are even throwing close to 80 MPH really have no idea what they are getting themselves into. They will get massacred if they were to draw a team like PRP. Atleast with the current system there aren't that many blow outs because for the most part the strongest teams year in year out in the mountains are making it to Applebees.

What does it matter if they are massacared? I think everyone realizes how hard it is for a mountain team to win state, but the thing is people from the mtns play to make it to applebees not win the whole thing.......... We all know what'll happen when they get to state and so do they, just let them get there!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Of course you would. You are representing a team who is generally statewide a weak team, and if they win the region then the format now wouldn't suite them because they wouldn't have that good of a shot to win sectionals. The only thing this does is put weaker teams in the state tournament, and it takes away from what it is suppose to be. Teams East of Lexington already have a bad rap and if you do this you will show all of them that their right. It will make it almost impossible for a mountain team to win the state if they change it to that format. LC shut a lot of people up last season and they only accomplished that because they could go 3 deep in pitching. Some of these mountain teams that only have 1 maybe 2 pitchers that are even throwing close to 80 MPH really have no idea what they are getting themselves into. They will get massacred if they were to draw a team like PRP. Atleast with the current system there aren't that many blow outs because for the most part the strongest teams year in year out in the mountains are making it to Applebees.

Paintsville lost in the all a state finals 3-1 to Owensboro Catholic, they beat Murray and a good Lex. Christian team to get there. Lawrence County made it to the state championship after they beat Lex. Catholic in the semi-finals, and competed with PRP.

The good programs east of Lexington are the teams that win their respective regions and will be COMPETITIVE in a 16 team state tournament. I think the only exception might be the year that a team spent their #1 and #2 pitcher to win a tough first round match-up and their #3 was suspect against a Dunbar or PRP (that would get ugly).

At all levels (Little League included) post season play is double elimination or pool play. One bad day, or one dominating pitcher and you are going to the house at the high school level in KY.

Since high school is allowed to play 36 games now, how about if you played every team in your region once (alternate home/away - so that everyone plays 7 or 8 home games, 7 or 8 away games), do away with district tournament, seed the TOP 8 regional records and play a double elimination regional tournament over two weeks?
Pages: 1 2