Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Obama wants an 8-team playoff system in college football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On the 60 Minutes interview tonight, Pres.-elect Barack Obama said he was in favor of an 8-team playoff system for college football. With a grin on his face, he said he would try to throw his weight around to see what he could do to get it changed.

I know this is half-joking, but I think most people (Democrats and Republicans) can get behind this idea.

Down with the BCS!
I like the idea a lot, but I'm sure the bowl committee's will not like this one bit.
I give Obama points for that!

Finally someone trys to take action
this is an old statment. He previoulsy stated this on November 3rd during halftime of the monday night game in an interview with chris berman
catsfan08 Wrote:this is an old statment. He previoulsy stated this on November 3rd during halftime of the monday night game in an interview with chris berman

Thanks for the update.
The bowl games is were alot of the teams get there money from. Each bowl, pay the teams so much money to play in it. The better the bowl game is, the more it pay.
If he does this..LOL..I will be an Obama fan 4 life! Well that and he gives me another check that they keep talking about!
cj2561 Wrote:The bowl games is were alot of the teams get there money from. Each bowl, pay the teams so much money to play in it. The better the bowl game is, the more it pay.

I understand this argument CJ. However, if the do go to the playoff system you can still have your major bowl game sponsors do the same as they do now, and rotate the national championship as they do now. Then also have your smaller bowls as you do now. If you think about it there will not be that much of a diffrence, just have a playoff between those eight teams rather then going by a computer generated top two teams. There are several diffrent ways to keep it the way it is and still modifing to make it better. But I do agree that we do not need to get rid of the smaller bowls for other schools and I DO NOT SEE THAT HAPPENING. If we do go to a playoff system.:Thumbs:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I understand this argument CJ. However, if the do go to the playoff system you can still have your major bowl game sponsors do the same as they do now, and rotate the national championship as they do now. Then also have your smaller bowls as you do now. If you think about it there will not be that much of a diffrence, just have a playoff between those eight teams rather then going by a computer generated top two teams. There are several diffrent ways to keep it the way it is and still modifing to make it better. But I do agree that we do not need to get rid of the smaller bowls for other schools and I DO NOT SEE THAT HAPPENING. If we do go to a playoff system.:Thumbs:

That will make the SEC, BIG-12, and ACC playing 16 games. If they make it to the title game. That is to many games in college. I like it the way it is right now. I don't have to watch the NFL until after Jan. 8.
cj2561 Wrote:That will make the SEC, BIG-12, and ACC playing 16 games. If they make it to the title game. That is to many games in college. I like it the way it is right now. I don't have to watch the NFL until after Jan. 8.

Hey they are getting their school payed for. :rockon:
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:If he does this..LOL..I will be an Obama fan 4 life! Well that and he gives me another check that they keep talking about!

Agreed...lol
This will never happen. The BCS loves their system. I think it's around the year 2012 that they're allowed to change the BCS system to where it has playoffs, yet I personally think they made this decision to encourage people to stop complaining.
And that is why I voted for Obama, not because of our failing economy or the War in Iraq, or for the environment for that matter, but so that we can have a playoff system in D1A college football. (note, the sarcasm). But, I do believe we should have a playoff system in college football but only for the top sixteen or top eight teams, but we should still have our bowl system in place for the rest of the teams. Yet, we should devise a plan where we use the BCS bowls as a starting grid for the top teams and the winners play eachother until finally their is a national champion (which will still be from the SEC of course). But, I think Obama should try to concentrate more on fixing the problems that are affecting this country before fixing the BCS.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Hey they are getting their school payed for. :rockon:

The way it is right now, ever week is a playoff game. If you win out, you have the right to play for the title. If not, you have to hope and pray. So in a way there is a playoffs.
cj2561 Wrote:That will make the SEC, BIG-12, and ACC playing 16 games. If they make it to the title game. That is to many games in college. I like it the way it is right now. I don't have to watch the NFL until after Jan. 8.
The FCS (D-IAA) has a playoff causing the teams that make the championship game to play 15 games a year and there isn't a problem here.

I think if anything, they should at least do a +1 game with 4 teams. But I like the 8 team playoff the best. Would actually probably bring in more money for colleges.
Beef Wrote:The FCS (D-IAA) has a playoff causing the teams that make the championship game to play 15 games a year and there isn't a problem here.

I think if anything, they should at least do a +1 game with 4 teams. But I like the 8 team playoff the best. Would actually probably bring in more money for colleges.

If they are going to go to the playoffs. They would have done it by now. The year LSU and USC both won the title, The year after when there was 3 teams. That was the first time that 1 teams went 12-0 and 2 teams was 13-0.
Well if anyone can do something the president should.....hopefully.
It dont matter what he says or does, they wont get a playoff system.