Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bell Co. Kicker Merrick Breaks State Record!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Monte Merrick became the All-Time Kentucky PAT king with 8-8 performance in the first half of the Bell-Lawrence Round 1 game Friday night. Merrick's total is now 205 eclipsing Williams of Trinity's 201. His total kick scoring totals (not recognized by KHSAA) stands at 250. That is good enough to move him into eighth place on the NFHS national record book...only 29 points behind seventh place kicker, Shayne Graham of the Bengals. He could pass Graham depending on how deep Bell goes in playoffs.
Congratulations to Merrick on breaking that record. :Thumbs: Good luck on catching and passing Graham to be in seventh place.
Any interest in going to UK we need a new kicker? lol
Congrads to a fine young man.
Congrats Merrick!
Congrats. Would like to see him in the blue and white in the fall.
Keep going Monte.

We're all pulling for you.

Check out the Pineville Sun...

and definitely read Bill's great write up on the Bobcats.
Great job Monte. :letsparty :letsparty
Super job! What an advantage to make your opponent start on the 20 everytime!!!!
Does he have any offers?
:beavis: :beavis: :beavis:

Great Job
bobcatfan22 Wrote:Does he have any offers?

He has been promised some action from several D-1 schools, but Western Kentucky has offered him a full-ride to take them into the new D-1 era! Kentucky has taken notice and has contacted him regularly....but no offer as of yet. He has let KY know that he would commit if they offered, but the longer they wait....well, eventually he will have to give WKU and answer and not risk losing out on opportunity to play D-1 and have education paid for. His Dad said that they were going to be at WKU this past weekend for an official visit. I hear that WKU has built a lot of new facilities....over 50 million dollars worth of renovations to athletic areas and stadium. I think they are serious about their program sounds like.
What is he ranked nationally this year. Top 50 kicker in the country. Surely someone else is looking at him. Is there a kicker out there who has had a better career?
cougarpride08 Wrote:What is he ranked nationally this year. Top 50 kicker in the country. Surely someone else is looking at him. Is there a kicker out there who has had a better career?
Prokicker.com has him as the #3 combo player in nation; Scout.com ranks him 16. Nike-Sailer and Rivals.com has him at 21. He was ranked #6 by Sailer at the Nike National Kicking Event in Las Vegas. His ranking slipped due to inactivity at the events in spring and summer...since he also plays baseball. He is being recruited as a punter by Louisville and Purdue. Also was invited to work out for LSU this summer as punter....could not make date...same as KY's camp. He has had recent contact with Ole Miss, Kansas State, and Michigan coaches. Kentucky has shown great interest and are moving in right direction...but slowly according to his Dad.
FYI, a lot of colleges don't/can't recruit mid-season. Once UK's season is over, bowl(?) and all, he should expect more contact if they're really interested in him (and I would think they should be).
Sarr is correct, there usually isn't much contact during the season. After the season coaches have time to review stats, watch game film, and talk to recruits and other coaches. I'd say he will get alot of attention if UK doesn't already have another kicker in their sights.
Beetle01 Wrote:Sarr is correct, there usually isn't much contact during the season. After the season coaches have time to review stats, watch game film, and talk to recruits and other coaches. I'd say he will get alot of attention if UK doesn't already have another kicker in their sights.
Kentucky has had direct contact, according to his Dad. They have visited his school, talked to his coach, and he has made four or five unofficial visits, including a one day camp where he kicked for the coaches. He has been told that he is their guy and they are not looking at anyone else...just trying to figure our how to get things done. Most high level kickers...do get offers in Nov. or Dec. and must make early decisions...they cannot wait until after bowl games...for when they do...then they lose out and have to walk on. I don't think this kid can afford financially to do that.
Congrats Merrick!!!!
Wow that is awesome!! Congrats and I hope you make it somewhere!!
He is a good kicker, but it doesn't hurt when Bell puts up that many TD's on a regular basis.
DUKMAN Wrote:He is a good kicker, but it doesn't hurt when Bell puts up that many TD's on a regular basis.

For a PAT record. Actually as a field goal kicker it does hurt. Bell Co. does not go for three, they go for six. I don't believe he has attempted many field goals in his career at Bell that were forced by a defense. I mean everyone that I can think of was kicked just to give him an opportunity to swing his leg. I think you have to go way back to a game at Corbin to the last field goal that meant something to the outcome of the game. On any other team he would have kicked ten times the field goals and been responsible for a ton of wins.

He's a little better than good!
is he an all around great kicker or just accurate? Whats his field goal %, long, and what would you say that his touchback % is?
BO1988 Wrote:is he an all around great kicker or just accurate? Whats his field goal %, long, and what would you say that his touchback % is?

All of the above and great Punter also. Only punted 6 or so times all year, averages well over 40's a punt.

All but 4 or 5 kickoff's have reached the endzone many out of the endzone. :eek:

On FG's he has very strong leg, evident by the many attempts at 60 or so yards that are just short. Accurate as well. Works very hard at his craft. One of the hardest working football players PERIOD I have ever seen.
BO1988 Wrote:is he an all around great kicker or just accurate? Whats his field goal %, long, and what would you say that his touchback % is?
Merrick has had 68 kickoffs so far this season. 64 of them were touchbacks....94%. Merrick is 5-7 on FG's with his only misses at 58 and 67. He has a 46.0 punt average with ZERO return yards in two straight regular seasons. He is 5-6 on last second field goals before halftime or end of game in his career. Only miss was a block. If he has good snap and hold he rarely ever misses even up to the 56 yd. FG he made against Rockcastle as the half ended last year...in a tight 7-0 battle....leading the Rock coaches to say later that it changed the momentum of the game....Bell went screaming into the lockerroom and Rockcastle was deflated with no kicking game...down literally by equivalent two touchdowns! Merrick is a the rare kicker who has the long range...but is deadly from anywhere on field. At Louisvile this summer he hit 10-10 for Coach Nelson in a workout....and even of his makes only one was not charted at dead-center! He was 15-18 at West Virginia indoors with current KC Chiefs kicker Nick Novack (Maryland) as his holder.
He's pretty good and I'm not easily impressed.