Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Perry Central Girls Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will the youth prevail at PCC this season? I hear that about 3 8th graders will start at Perry this year. Heard it was Whitney Back, Brandy Campbell, and Kayla Rankin. Sources say that Ashley Neace will be replaced by Campbell, Rankin will take over the Center position which was a void to begin with, with the graduation of Allison Feltner. Back will take over the point for Sturdivant I think. PCC will be tough with the new younger girls. I just hope the older girls can come off the bench and help out a little for a change instead of thinking they should get the starting positions handed to them just because they have rode the bench for 2 years. Heres how I see the lineup looking.

PG - Back
2G - Kilburn
SG - Campbell
F - Shepherd
C - Rankin

Off the pine
Melton
Combs
Miller
Neace
Neace
Eversole
PCC will IMO be very good if Randy will start the 8th graders. If not they will struggle.
Will be a struggle for them to get past not having the experience on the floor that randy is used to having! Will be interesting to see how he handles it!
District champs and a good shot a region. Very proud of Bandi Campbell though she is my little cousin.
Depending on schedule .500 season. Middle of the pack in the 14th. Due to Coach Napier's coaching ability, otherwise would have been below .500.
UKisN1 Wrote:Depending on schedule .500 season. Middle of the pack in the 14th. Due to Coach Napier's coaching ability, otherwise would have been below .500.

WHAT. You must really not know anything about basketball. There might be 2 team in the whole region who can beat PCC and that's Breathitt and Letcher but Perry is just as good as both. You sir/madam need to learn somthing about basketball.
I said depending on his schedule. Never professed to know everything. Just giving an opinion. I looked at schedule. 15-17 wins would be coach of the year recognition. Let's hear your win total. Have you looked at the schedule sir/madam?
20+ wins maybe. They dont play breathitt and only play Letcher once. The only losses i might see are in FLA., TENN., North Laurel and Letcher.
Breathitt is in the Queen of the Mtns tourney.
dore20 Wrote:WHAT. You must really not know anything about basketball. There might be 2 team in the whole region who can beat PCC and that's Breathitt and Letcher but Perry is just as good as both. You sir/madam need to learn somthing about basketball.
There's more teams than those two that can compete, and beat, PCC, but I'm not going to argue about it other than to say you need to look a little farther to the north and then to the west in the region. Get out and travel occasionally away from Hazard, and research a few other teams. They built a road called the Mountain Parkway back in the 1960's.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:There's more teams than those two that can compete, and beat, PCC, but I'm not going to argue about it other than to say you need to look a little farther to the north and then to the west in the region. Get out and travel occasionally away from Hazard, and research a few other teams. They built a road called the Mountain Parkway back in the 1960's.

OK i have and besides Breathitt and Perry its been YEARS since any one else has won region. So i can travel all over eastern kentucky and not find many teams who can beat the Lady Dores. Especially in the 14th region.
dore20 Wrote:OK i have and besides Breathitt and Perry its been YEARS since any one else has won region. So i can travel all over eastern kentucky and not find many teams who can beat the Lady Dores. Especially in the 14th region.
You are correct. Breathitt and Perry, and Whitesburg before consolidation, have dominated the 14th region over the years. But we're talking about this year. I think Powell County, if Barnett is completely recovered from her season-ending injury last year, has a good chance of beating Perry this year. However I don't even know if they play in regular season or not. Powell has a good team and one of the best players in the region in McFarland.
The Road to Bowling green starts and ends with teams from Perry, Breathitt or Letcher and that is it, Period! The 56th region will not in the near future ever have a team that goes to Bowling Green! Sorry to say the style of play they have just won't be able to beat the likes of the big 3! With Knott and Leslie being 4 and 5 in the region. Even though Randy will have to play all the young girls this year, they will still be better than anything the 56th can put on the floor probably combined! I still believe that Letcher is the team to beat because Noble for Breathitt will have to find some help to get out of the 14th this year. Letcher is very deep and all the girls can play too!

Powell will probably not even be 6th in the region, but close.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:The Road to Bowling green starts and ends with teams from Perry, Breathitt or Letcher and that is it, Period! The 56th region will not in the near future ever have a team that goes to Bowling Green! Sorry to say the style of play they have just won't be able to beat the likes of the big 3! With Knott and Leslie being 4 and 5 in the region. Even though Randy will have to play all the young girls this year, they will still be better than anything the 56th can put on the floor probably combined! I still believe that Letcher is the team to beat because Noble for Breathitt will have to find some help to get out of the 14th this year. Letcher is very deep and all the girls can play too!

Powell will probably not even be 6th in the region, but close.

I agree this will be a 3 team region this year. If someone besides PCC LCC or Breathitt win it it would be a huge upset.
I don't think that you people are giving Breathitt their due after all they didn't lose a game to a 14 region team last year.
No Shouse at Breathitt is a big loss. She done a lot for the bobcats inside and helped with breaking the press. Noble is good, but shouse was the key.
No doubt about it Shouse was a big part of what Breathitt did but Breathitt has several good players to go with Noble this season. People just haven't got to know them yet because of how much attention Shouse and Noble have gotten but I don't think it will take long once the season starts. I also would say that Breathitt didn't start winning big until Noble was put into the lineup as a 7th grader. Anybody that was at Knott Co. 2 years ago for the region can tell you that she won the region for them that year but thats what makes her so good she can control a game without having to score 25 pts very few can do that at her age.
Perry Central has two very big shoes to fill. Sturdivants 25 points a game and Feltners 15 points a game and 10 boards. I think scoring may be a problem for the Lady Dores. They have no 3 point threat other than Kilburn (who is inconsistant) and Back (8th grader). Melton, Shepherd, and Miranda Napier are all slashers and shoot layups or nothing. If a team drops back in a nice 2-3 and PCC isnt hitting, it could be a long night. Perry dont have much size and will struggle against big post players that are strong. They could win the region with a little luck. The team will be very fast and they have about 12 players that could contribute.
and then everyone else. I dont think that PCC and LCC are that far ahead of Powell and Leslie. The major difference is coaching. IMO
Is there a rule about kids coming to school and playing on the basketball team? Can you practice and play and never come to school?
No way PCC would play a girl that didnt go to school. I know Coach Napier has to many good values to do such a thing. Winning isnt that important to him.
Well, Phelps beat them last night. I believe it was 40 some to 60 some. Phelps didn't play their best at all, it was pretty sloppy should've been a blow out. Obviously someone is ranking PCC a little higher than they should be?
This is about what I thought they would look like early on in the season. If coach Naiper is going to play as many young kids as everybody is saying then PCC fans had better be ready to suffer through some tuff loses. Not many teams are going to call off the dogs when they play PCC GOD knows Randy never did and he could have to take some big loses this season inorder for his team to grow. Its hard to judge the preseason action also.
I agree that Perry Central is good that is true but you have to admit that Powell is a good team too... I think that with the Barnett girl back from her injury they will have a pretty good team... You also have to remember, don't they have that one girl on their team that is like 2nd in region... The other red head that plays down low... MCfarland isn't it... You never know.. anything could happen.. I guess we will see here when they play them in a few weeks...
Perry Central played 20 different kids against Phelps. If Coach Napier would of played his best 7 or 8, he would of won the game. But then again, I gotta ask myself who is his best 7 or 8?????????????? I saw about 10 to 12 kids on the same playing level. Kilburn was the best Perry had. Then I would say the 7th grader Rankin looked like she was next in line.
PCC did play alot of kids but at no time were they as good as Phelps Saturday. Coach N is a very good coach and will have them better as the year gos on, but this is not PCC of the last few years, they play very hard and do have talent but if they are one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the region right now it must be way down this year!!