Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Football History-Hazard -Harlan Brawl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just wanted to share a bit of football history....

November 11th 1950...58 years ago today - the infamous Hazard - Harlan Brawl took place at H.B.I. Field (later known as Collins Field). It was the final game of the season. Hazard beat the undefeated Harlan team 13 to 6. According to a report, words were exchanged and a Harlan player kicked a Hazard player and fans from both sides stormed the field. That started a riot that lasted several minutes. Some reports say that the lights had to be turned out to stop the fighting. Both schools were suspended by the KHSAA for seven weeks. The game ball with the score on it is still displayed in the trophy room at Hazard High School.

[Image: 015-1.jpg]

Blue-N-Gold Wrote:I just wanted to share a bit of football history....

November 11th 1950...58 years ago today - the infamous Hazard - Harlan Brawl took place at H.B.I. Field (later known as Collins Field). It was the final game of the season. Hazard beat the undefeated Harlan team 13 to 6. According to a report, words were exchanged and a Harlan player kicked a Hazard player and fans from both sides stormed the field. That started a riot that lasted several minutes. Some reports say that the lights had to be turned out to stop the fighting. Both schools were suspended by the KHSAA for seven weeks. The game ball with the score on it is still displayed in the trophy room at Hazard High School.

[Image: 015-1.jpg]

That is an awesome story. I love the history of high school football in the mountains. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Very much so!
Seems like they'd at least make a plaque. lol or the date

Exciting story though
Do these 2 teams play anymore?
uktailgaiter Wrote:Do these 2 teams play anymore?

yea they are in the same dist.

but its not much of a game tho.
Great story, love to here history about est KY football.
So they were eliminated from being in a playoff game? That had to hurt.
I remember that ball and that story!! Hadnt thought of that for a while!! Thanks for the memories!!
great story anymore history anyone