Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Metallica concert 11/9 in Columbus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went to this concert last night, and I must say it was AWESOME!!!

I admit that they are my favorite band, but this was the best show I have ever seen by anyone. I saw them in Louisville a few years ago, but they were better last night.

I especially liked that they played several songs from their new CD, which is very good. Of course they also played the classics like Enter Sandman, One, Master of Puppets, etc.

So, anyone else go last night and care to share their thoughts?
Now I feel old. I saw them in Charleston WV way back in 87. They were opening for Ozzy during his ultimate sin tour.:o
Make a forum for this entitled " Senior Citizens Club " !!!!Wink:lmao:
More Cowbell Wrote:I went to this concert last night, and I must say it was AWESOME!!!

I admit that they are my favorite band, but this was the best show I have ever seen by anyone. I saw them in Louisville a few years ago, but they were better last night.

I especially liked that they played several songs from their new CD, which is very good. Of course they also played the classics like Enter Sandman, One, Master of Puppets, etc.

So, anyone else go last night and care to share their thoughts?

CLASSICS??????.........LMAO

Here are a couple of the classics...The Four Horsemen, Seek and Destroy, Fade to Black and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Midee...You saw the REAL Metallica! I would have given anything to have been at that Concert!
I saw them in Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium in 1991, with Body Count (Ice-T's Heavy metal Group) and G'N'R'!!! Was the GREATEST Concert I have ever witnessed! What I loved was that Lars' drums moved from one side of the stage to the other and you never noticed that they moved. Kinda like the hand of a clock.
OffTheHook Wrote:CLASSICS??????.........LMAO

Here are a couple of the classics...The Four Horsemen, Seek and Destroy, Fade to Black and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Midee...You saw the REAL Metallica! I would have given anything to have been at that Concert!
I saw them in Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium in 1991, with Body Count (Ice-T's Heavy metal Group) and G'N'R'!!! Was the GREATEST Concert I have ever witnessed! What I loved was that Lars' drums moved from one side of the stage to the other and you never noticed that they moved. Kinda like the hand of a clock.

When I say classics, I mean the songs that everyone thinks of when they hear "Metallica". While those songs you mentioned are all good, they are NOT the first songs everyone thinks of. If you are saying that you didn't like anything they made after Ride the Lightning, then I don't know what else to tell you.

As for the songs you mentioned, they actually did play Seek and Destroy, and they played For Whom the Bell Tolls when I saw them a few years ago. I'm sure they probably still play Four Horsemen at some venues, but these days they usually save their stuff from Kill Em All for the encore. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear the songs Leper Messiah and Ride the Lightning this time, they are two of my favorites.

The thing with Lars' drums, he was still doing that a few years ago, but the other night they just rotated on a small platform.

All in all, the guys sounded really good. Age has treated them well, and the sound on their new songs reminds me alot of the sound on Master. This is NOT the Load or St. Anger version of the band.
OffTheHook Wrote:CLASSICS??????.........LMAO

so Fade to Black and For whom the bell tolls are classics... But on to the next cd which is MASTER OF PUPPETS you draw the line?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:so Fade to Black and For whom the bell tolls are classics... But on to the next cd which is MASTER OF PUPPETS you draw the line?

No, Master of Puppets is also a classic. Sorry, I should have worded a little better.
When I saw his post. And he had "Sandman", I just don't think of that song as classic. I felt that they were changing on that album to try and hit the charts.

IMO, classic Metallica is , Kill'em All, Ride The Lightning and MOP.

Sorry for the confusion.
my fav is whiskey in a jar but just because it has whiskey in the title, and i do like my whiskey
stella69 you sure do like your whiskey, how many DUI's do you have now?
OffTheHook Wrote:No, Master of Puppets is also a classic. Sorry, I should have worded a little better.
When I saw his post. And he had "Sandman", I just don't think of that song as classic. I felt that they were changing on that album to try and hit the charts.

IMO, classic Metallica is , Kill'em All, Ride The Lightning and MOP.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'll agree that they did change their sound on the Black album. They started getting away from more of the "speed" metal sound toward a slower version. That said, Sandman is still a very good song.

But what about And Justice For All? That album still sounded a lot like MOP and RTL. I would have to say that One and Blackened are two of my favorites as well. As for Kill Em All, I do like the album, but in my opinion the band had a different sound when they started out, and then changed somewhat before RTL.
More Cowbell Wrote:I'll agree that they did change their sound on the Black album. They started getting away from more of the "speed" metal sound toward a slower version. That said, Sandman is still a very good song.

But what about And Justice For All? That album still sounded a lot like MOP and RTL. I would have to say that One and Blackened are two of my favorites as well. As for Kill Em All, I do like the album, but in my opinion the band had a different sound when they started out, and then changed somewhat before RTL.

You have to remember that "Kill'em All" still had a little bit of Dave Mustaine influence in it. They kicked him out of the band just before they recorded it. "RTL" was the first full album that Kirk Hammett had influence in the songs. Also, Clff Burton died before the EP and AJFA album came out and they had Jason Nested on those albums. I stll liked those albums though.
Don't get me wrong. I like the Black album and all their others as well. I just thought they got a little to main stream after the AJFA album. The last two though, they have started playing more like their old days.
OffTheHook Wrote:You have to remember that "Kill'em All" still had a little bit of Dave Mustaine influence in it. They kicked him out of the band just before they recorded it. "RTL" was the first full album that Kirk Hammett had influence in the songs. Also, Clff Burton died before the EP and AJFA album came out and they had Jason Nested on those albums. I stll liked those albums though.
Don't get me wrong. I like the Black album and all their others as well. I just thought they got a little to main stream after the AJFA album. The last two though, they have started playing more like their old days.

Death Magnetic is the closest they have got to going back to their roots and producing quality songs. They attempted to with St. Anger which as we all know did not do the trick. If I had to say 10 years from now what Metallica albums will still be talked about. I would say Death Magnetic WILL be in that conversation with Kill em' All (Which is not as good as Death Magnetic), Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, And Justice for all and Black. I am extremely happy to hear that the new songs are getting good attention at the concerts.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Death Magnetic is the closest they have got to going back to their roots and producing quality songs. They attempted to with St. Anger which as we all know did not do the trick. If I had to say 10 years from now what Metallica albums will still be talked about. I would say Death Magnetic WILL be in that conversation with Kill em' All (Which is not as good as Death Magnetic), Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, And Justice for all and Black. I am extremely happy to hear that the new songs are getting good attention at the concerts.

You're right. They seem to be getting along a lot better also. After the Black album, there was a lot of turmoil in the band. I think this was a big factor in the quality of music that they were putting out during this period. Hopefully things will stay on track. Cause these guys flat out know how to rock.
:beavis: My suggestion to anyone who has a chance to see them...GO!!!
OffTheHook Wrote:You have to remember that "Kill'em All" still had a little bit of Dave Mustaine influence in it. They kicked him out of the band just before they recorded it. "RTL" was the first full album that Kirk Hammett had influence in the songs. Also, Clff Burton died before the EP and AJFA album came out and they had Jason Nested on those albums. I stll liked those albums though.

I personally think that the sound was better once Hammett was fully part of the creative process. But, Kill Em All was still a great album, so raw and full of energy.

As for the last comment, I wouldn't lump Death Magnetic in with St. Anger by a long shot. St. Anger was disappointing to me, probably my least favorite Metallica album to date. The return of the "speed" style was encouraging, but most of the songs felt contrived, and to me the album just fell flat. It seemed like they were trying too hard to be something different.

The new album, on the other hand, is a true return to their roots. The sound is so much like that on RTL and MOP it's crazy. Even my wife, who is NOT a fan, remarked that the songs on Death Magnetic remind her of Master. I just can't stop listening to it.